Stuff to Watch - JANUARY 2007

Comments

• Three Kingdoms heroes, genderswapped

I am so bookmarking that gallery. On the one hand there is a lot of unnecessary boobularity, which isn't super appealing, but on the other hand, I never say no to badass action women with good fashion. (Where are the female characters genderswapped to male? Hm?)

(And just look at Xu Huang.)

• Posted By: shreyasboobularity
    Boobularity? Best new word of 2007!
  • Posted By: Robert AhrensKen Hite uses HeroQuest tocreate a new Shakespeare play.
    The use of "performance of Shakespeare's plays" as the heroquest realm is so wonderfully excellent.
  • Posted By: shreyasThree Kingdoms heroes, genderswapped
    There is just something JUST WRONG about being able to utter, "Check out the tits on Cao Cao!"

Also, I'm trying to imagine how I'd feel if someone worked up renderings of major US Presidents as hawt pin-up girls. Probably, pretty weird.
  • O Brave New World That Has Such Gamers In It. A New York TImes (you need to create a free account to read it if you don't have one) travelogue of the new World of Warcraft expansion.
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: Larry

Also, I'm trying to imagine how I'd feel if someone worked up renderings of major US Presidents as hawt pin-up girls. Probably, pretty weird.

That'd be hot.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • I wanna see Taft.
  • Man, that started out okay, and just kept going further and further down. ^^;

(I liked the thread on 4chan where they had a bunch of manga girly versions of WWE wrestlers, including one of the older half-mask Kane braiding the Undertaker's hair...)
  • I know I shouldn't keep pointing to the RPGSite but there's a thread where I am officially denounced as a swine, alongside my other Collective Endeavour colleagues. Do I get a badge? Maybe I can hang it up next to my ENnie nomination and my d20 books and the WFRP books I've written. Or perhaps next to the positive review Dead of Night got ON THE RPGSITE.

I was going to post a rebuttal, but I really can't be bothered.
  • I really have to stop reading therpgsite, some of the bullshit there just hurts my brain. Amazing, the hate some people have there... *shakeshead*

"The War", what bullshit...

M
  • edited January 2007
    I don't know. There's something I rather liked about that thread.
    Franklin: The Collective Endeavour are a load of wankers!
    Everyone else: No, they're nice guys, actually.
    Franklin: No, they're wankers!
    Someone: Didn't one of them write A|State? That was great!
    Malcolm: Franklin, why don't you have a game with us sometime? And I'll refund that game of mine you didn't like.
    Franklin: That just proves it! You're a wanker!
    RPGPundit: *foams at the mouth*
    What I liked was that, for every person being nasty, there were three being reasonable.

Graham
  • Posted By: Graham Walmsley
    What I liked was that, for every person being nasty, there were three being reasonable.

Graham
    Yeah, that was nice. Of course, that made the nasties stand out even more, and make their idiocy sound even worse...

But it is a good example that not everybody there is a foul-mouthed lunatic.

M
  • Posted By: Graham WalmsleyWhat I liked was that, for every person being nasty, there were three being reasonable.
    Yes, that both surprised and heartened me, but it certainly hasn't convinced me to hang out there.
  • And I've been officially subverted by Ron Edwards for his own nefarious purposes! Awesome!

I did like the "IPR is just an arm of the Forge" being refuted by the fact that both Ed Cha and I publish d20 material.
  • I admit, I had not expected a diet reminder in the thread.

-Rob D.
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: Rob DonoghueI admit, I had not expected a diet reminder in the thread.
    Sorry, I should have forewarned you that there was a little random sideswipe at you in there! It seemed rather uncalled for, I must say.
  • Andrew (and the rest of youse),

I hate to keep being the voice of reason, but what are you doing? You keep pointing at bile and reading it and thinking about it. You're dealing with people who are either just plain hateful, or enjoy argument for argument's sake, or are very angry at perceived mistreatments. You are better than that; and just in case they all point and say that I judge them, I will say this: they are better than that, too, especially Peter.

- Clinton
  • You are, of course, right Clinton. I guess I was just venting in frustration, which was bad of me. I've resisted the temptation to wade in and post a reply, and I should have resisted the temptation to link there too. The best policy (as my girlfriend has already chided me) is to just ignore them, rather than to go down to their level. In future I will.
  • Hey, I know, let's talk about games rather than concentrating on vile and personal attacks.

Remember games?

Fun games?

The rest is crap.

I'm saying this for myself as much as anyone else, maybe more. I'm hypnotized by the internet's car wrecks more than anyone.
  • edited January 2007
    Tanga is a site that's similar to Woot, but geared towards games instead of home electronics. Each day at 10 pm Eastern, they post a game that's for sale at around 50% of the game's normal price. (And sometimes, some electronics crap.) So yeah, board games, right? Well, I just saw them offer Long Live The King, a new story game... thing from White Wolf. It's like a LARP, but with card mechanics.

Edited to add: And in the three days since I posted the link to Tanga, they've been offering non-game things. Go figure.
  • edited January 2007
    Best Threads of 2006: In which we talk about our favorite threads of the past year.

Rob talks about the GM-Player-Player circuit. and GM, Player, Fun & Feedback: In which Levi starts a conversation about feedback from GM to player much inspired by Rob (I think).

Frank's summary of the Big Model: This thread rocks on a number of fronts.

[Burning Wheel] Elves Illustrated: Storn draws purty pics while we play some awesome sessions of BW. Inspired by [Burning Wheel] Elves when humanity was young.

Speak to me of Legends of Alyria: In which I ask about the Legends of Alyria, which I hope is arriving at my house on Monday.
  • edited January 2007
    The more I hear about LoA, the more I want it. It sounds like excellent fun.

Meanwhile, Contenders gets used for all kinds of fun actual play reports other than boxing.
  • So, it's in realspace, but I figure there may be some interest in the fact that the lastest dragon magazine, #352, February 2007 is the Perdido Street Station issue. A curious match to D&D, to be certain, but CM wrote some of it, and it shoudl be an interesting reference, even for those not interested in the rules.

-Rob D.
  • Posted By: Rob DonoghueSo, it's in realspace, but I figure there may be some interest in the fact that thelastest dragon magazine, #352, February 2007 is the Perdido Street Station issue. A curious match to D&D, to be certain, but CM wrote some of it, and it shoudl be an interesting reference, even for those not interested in the rules.
    Heh, I bothered my local FLGSes already with it. Never bought any D&D magazine before, but this one will be mine. ^_^

M
  • ndpndp
    edited January 2007
    Oh man.

First one: Don't Be An Amber Story Game (haHA!)

Sixth one: Spreads Straight From The Story Game (I don't know what this means, but its wonderful)

and, finally:

The Story Game With The Hole.

(I wanna play THAT one!)
  • Posted By: Rob DonoghueSo, it's in realspace, but I figure there may be some interest in the fact that thelastest dragon magazine, #352, February 2007 is the Perdido Street Station issue. A curious match to D&D, to be certain, but CM wrote some of it, and it shoudl be an interesting reference, even for those not interested in the rules.
    I can empirically attest that D&D works greate for PSS-style games. All you have to do is look at the monster manual and read it as a set of demographic profiles of fantasy land, for targeted marketing and voter profiling.
  • That. Is. Awesome.
  • Posted By: King TurnipJust a link:
    Story Game slogan generator
    It's That Story Game Feeling
    But I'd Rather Have A Bowl of Story Game
    Give That Man A Story Game
    Monsieur, with this Story Game you are really spoiling us.
    There Ain't No Party Like A Story Game Party.
    Story Game - Australian for Beer.
    Live in Your Story Game, Play in Ours.
    It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Story Game.

I'll stop now.
  • It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Story Game. + The Story Game With The Hole. = ...

(i think the line is a couple klicks back thataway!)
  • My favorite: "It Needn't Be Hell With Story Game."
  • edited January 2007
    Personally I like: "Maybe She's Born With It, Maybe It's Story Game"
    or
    "The Future's Bright. The Future's Story Game," which is strangely approprirate when you think about it!
  • Posted By: Clinton R. NixonMy favorite: "It Needn't Be Hell With Story Game."<//img><//img><//img><//img><//img>
    Story games aid you in stopping smoking now?
  • I like "It Does the Hard Story Game for You."
  • Umm...This one sounds real: Your Story Game, Right Away.

Story Game is like a normal pair of underpants, but it keeps food warm.
    • "Is it Live, or is it Story Game?"
    • "You Can Do It When You Story Game It."
    • "Just Like Story Game Used To Make."
    • "Because Story Game is Complicated Enough."
    • "I'm Not Gonna Pay A Lot For This Story Game."
    • "If You Like A Lot Of Story Game On Your Biscuit, Join Our Club."
  • Sad, and yet right. A business decision, and one that clearly is being made for the right reasons.
  • Yea, it wasn't exactly a shock. But still, sad to see.
  • I'm glad to see that they are trying more to grow internationally w/ GenCon Europe and GenCon Austrailia. What they need to do is start one in Japan.

Peace,

-Troy
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: Troy_CostisickI'm glad to see that they are trying more to grow internationally w/ GenCon Europe and GenCon Austrailia. What they need to do is start one in Japan.
    Japan probably couldn't hack it. Every year the big gaming event is JGC, or "Japan Game Convention", is usually held in a hotel, and features just a few hundred people, most of whom stay at the hotel that the convention is in.

It's a nice, cozy event but it's far from the Screaming Thousands needed to give it an even bigger venue.

-Andy
  • edited January 2007
    The problem with having a Gen Con "Europe" is that Europe isn't a country. They figured that out pretty quickly though and ditched the idea. If you have a Gen Con in the UK, it's GC UK. If you have it in France, it's GC France.

Notwithstanding the fact that almost every country in Europe speaks a different language. So what language are you going to have GC Europe in? If you have it in one language you're excluding a lot of people, even if you choose English which is the second language of most countries. Even then, do you think people from France, Germany, Italy and Holland are all going to travel to London to play a game in English? Not enough did.

If you say "Play games in your own language!", you end up with a bunch of Italians flying in and playing with other Italians, Germans fly in and play with other Germans etc etc. Which seems a bit pointless, they'll all just go to their own local cons instead.
  • It seems pretty obvious to me that P.A. should shoot to run GenCon Euro in the real Geneva. Duh!

So... GC Europe is presumed to fail because only people in the host country would show. GC California fails because not enough people show up. Can we somehow extrapolate from this that California is its own country?

(Them's the late-night sillies. Sorry.)
  • GenCon Europe: New Zealand
  • edited January 2007
    How do we qualify? Is it just being as far from Europe* as possible?

(* While remaining on the surface of the Earth, anyhow)
  • Oh my God. It's all so clear now. You're planning to launch New Zealand into space!
  • Europe = Middle Earth = NZ