Yes, another Lasers and Feelings Hack (Celtic Western)

edited December 2014 in Make Stuff!
This is something i just made, and i'd like to share it with all who might like it (though is still an untested draft)

Its a One-pager, about an alternate ancient celtic world (fitting my username) with western-themed technology. Players are gunslingers with the divine right to impose their law and kill dragons, giants, witches and monsters.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/98sjes40uo0t41p/guns_and_glammer.pdf

I'm new to the forum, i'm not sure if this is allowed here, but don't be afraid to move it or delete it.

Any opinions will be welcomed! Respects to John Harper, the creator of the original thing.

Comments

• Hey Cuchulainn, what makes this Celtic twist on the Western more interesting than a conventional Western? What was your thinking behind the sections that you did include - Gods, Tokens, Resources - and the sections that you didn't include (a list of actual Celtic deities and their domains and awesome magics; more detail of Common Enemies and Land Troubles are two that stood out as potential room for expansion).

I guess why I'm asking these questions is that at no point in Guns & Glammer did I say, "Ah, it's now clear to me why I'd want to play a game that takes the form of a Western but with Celtic trappings". I never got to that point with "Ghost Lines" either (another John Harper game), so you're in good company, but it's the gaping hole in Guns & Glammer for me.
  • *checks under the desk for listening devices* *checks computer for worms* Uh. I just came up with roughly the same idea earlier in the week.

On about the 14th. I was talking about it in #rpgnet on IRC Magicstar server, were you there, spying on me? :D

More seriously, I started making notes after the idea spawned from examining another rpg's game art and a stray comment by Dan Davenport made me run off on this tangent. I'm not familiar with Lasers and Feelings, but cool! I think the idea needs some love. It will take me a while to develop my own twist.

• Sanglorian: the interesting twist is using the best of two awesome settings: the guns and tech from the west; which players usually all know well from movies; and easing the introduction into a more obscure one: the celtic tribes one.
    I decided to go for made up gods because:
    1-i couldnt decide which pantheon to use (welsh, britons, irish, etc). Each of them excluded the others and left interesting things behind.
    2-giving the players a choice to make their own mythology saves much researching time for GMs who are not into the mythic pre-christian celtic mythology. However, Gms who know well their Lugh, Anwwn, Fomorians and others can of course use their original version.
    You're right in that one, though, in that i could expand the information about the setting; and maybe i'll do it in the future if i put the pieces together. For the moment, i've syntethized the most important things to me in the celtic matter: Geas, evil witches, god rulers and their relics, and the importance of being heroes and kill evil monsters and invaders. Anyhow, im sure im leaving important things behind, please everybody remind them to me if you got them.
    I think i know what you mean by the "no point in this". Im eager to play some Ghost Lines myself, so maybe is all about tastes. Thank you a lot for your comment!

Silverlion: Great minds think alike, they say! No spying, i assure you i was thinking on it a whole lot earlier. What was exactly your idea? Mixing western with celtic myths? I'd like to hear about it then! You can use anything of my work as inspiration if you want.
  • Yeah. A friend saw a piece of art with Celtic Ogham, and said the design looked like a revolver so I began mixing Ogham-scribed bullets, wooden handled guns (laden in knotwork patterns) and more. The Druids and Skalds of the West wander the lands of men, teaching, learning, fighting men, fomor, and things conjured by the firbolg. So far its just a few notes, and its got sort of a Post-Apocalyptic wasteland vibe in my head as well.

• Sounds awesome! If you ever write your notes, please tell me; i'll love to read them. By now, you just made me look what an "ogham" was (yes, i didn't know about it) and the idea of a secret language that can be spoken with your fingers its an awesome idea for my campaign.
    Think that an apocalypse means that there was a pre-apocalypse society, probably more advanced; so you'll need to think on which kind of society it was and why it was destroyed (the fomor maybe?)
  • the interesting twist is using the best of two awesome settings: the guns and tech from the west; which players usually all know well from movies; and easing the introduction into a more obscure one: the celtic tribes one.
    Thanks for the reply, Cuchulainn. The combination of the familiar (the Western, in this case) and the exciting (the Celtic tribes) also appears in steampunk (familiar Victoriana, exciting cogs), so you might be on to a winner here.

But I think there's a mutually beneficial relationship between Victoriana and steamtech that I'm not seeing (yet) with guns and Celts. Science fiction arose in the Victorian era, and so giving fantastical devices a 19th century patina fits some of our unconscious expectations. You can get away with a gyrocopter if its pilot has a top hat and monocle.

Are there similar synergies in G&G? Silverlion's comment about "The Druids and Skalds of the West wander the lands of men, teaching, learning, fighting men, fomor, and things conjured by the firbolg" makes me wonder if there are legendary Celtic figures that are like cowboys and gunslingers. If so, I think that could be the "hook" that lowers the suspension of disbelief.

For example, to quote from Wikipedia:
    Western gunslinger heroes are often local lawmen or enforcement officers, ranchers, army officers, cowboys, territorial marshals, a nomadic loner, or a skilled fast-draw artist. [...] They are depicted as similar to a knight-errant, wandering from place to place with no particular direction, often facing curious and hostile enemies, while saving certain individuals and communities from them in terms of chivalry.
    What if G&G focused on brehons or members of fianna - who also wandered from place to place, often facing curious and hostile enemies, had a code of chivalry, and so on? This could be the hook that justifies the guns and showdowns and posses and slow-talking people with no name. "Fianna were a lot like posses of cowboys, so let's have them shoot formorians with revolvers" feels right to me, or at least seems like it's on the right track to feel right.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
  • It totally helps, and im gonna work on that; thank you!

the idea for the game came to me from comparing Cuchulainn and his friends with gunslingers; and from the Dark Tower novels (where the gunslingers are descendants of King Arthur's knights). It was very clear in my head, but maybe i didn't conveyed it to the game. I should add a chivalry code to it, or maybe the means for the players to make their own code. I never heard about brehons or members of fianna until now; im googling it to find some inspiration.

• The Three mottos of the fianna make a good code:

Glaine ár g-croí (Purity of our hearts)
    Neart ár n-géag (Strength of our limbs)
    Beart de réir ár m-briathar (Action to match our speech)

the using of the Diord Fionn (the hunting horn) as a warcry also looks like something i should keep
  • Awesome stuff! Glad to see more being done.