Who Are You? 2012~2017

Comments

• Belatedly, hi, thesp! Why would anyone hate you for DEX staffing? DEX and RPGA are awesome.
  • Howdy, my name is Melissa. I'm 31, have two kids, and a great boyfriend who got me into this whole tabletop gaming scene. I have lived all my life in beautiful Oregon, and can't imagine myself anywhere else. I've been a stay at home mom many years. I like to read, sew, listen to music, cook awesomeness, and game. I have an etsy store as a hobby and help write for Awful Good Games. When I'm not in the house doing all these things I am out on our ranch helping my dad.

I'm currently working on my very first adventure front for Dungeon World and hope that I can get lots of good feedback here for those who are familiar with the mechanics.

I am only on G+ so feel free to circle there as well for upcoming projects. :)
  • Hello, I'm Stephane. I live in Toulouse in France. I'm a Larper (nordic style mostly) and I also run story games at times. My grail is to find a way to play once a week. Story games and chamber larps seem the way to do it !

I mostly enjoy playing emotions, roleplaying and building narrative. I can't stand rules longer than a few paragraphs. I like using sounds and lights in my games.
    I also do 3D images and videos and I'm trying to incorporate them in my game mastering (videos as an input for the players for instance). Still a long way to go though.

• Real life: Professor, Computer Science, Belgium, Geek4life, Computer Graphics, Digital Revolution, Higher education policies, Politics, History, Wargaming.

Gaming life: I have been involved for a long time in games and making my own games. As most of us, I've gone through different cycles of were my primary interests are: board wargames (mostly 80s), roleplaying games (90s), collectible card games (90s), miniature wargaming (mostly 2000s till the present).

For the past couple of years, I have been mostly interested in combining miniature wargaming with story-driven techniques. We have experimented quite a lot with matrix-style arguments, combined with voting, to push a game forwards (article about this was published in the magazine Battlegames, issue #33).

Another interest is mass-participation wargames: how to get >100 people involved in a convention game? Last year, we ran such a game at a con, getting over 250 people to participate - each person adding a micro-decision to the overall game flow. For those interested in reading more about this, this is published in this month's issue of Miniature Wargames ;-)
  • Good day, I'm Dave. By day, I'm a husband and father of one 9yo girl. I work as an ecommerce program manager for a large science/tech company, trying to make things run in a coherent manner. I live in Silicon Valley where I lucked into a nice, small house before housing because totally unreasonable (it was just unreasonable before), where I keep my games and my family. There are a lot of reasons to like living here, but all the BMWs get a bit obscene after a while.

At home, I wash a lot of dishes and try to drive myself to write more. I play boardgames and RPGs with a great gaming group, who are really just my friends. I'm currently running Mask of Nyarlathotep for them using Call of Cthulhu, which used to be my favorite system but isn't really any more.

Last year, I ran a Kickstarter for a modern day Cthulhu scenario called He Who Laughs Last. Right now I'm prepping for another, while also trying to be more organized and productive in communities (like this one) and on my blog (weird8.com). I recently wrote about teaching 5e D&D to my daughter, which has been an amazing experience. We are having so much fun.

I like story above system. I love collaboration, both in work and RPGs. I have little patience for people and systems that act like children. I am on Twitter (@SokolowskiDave), and am trying to do more stuff there too. Thanks for having me in your community.
  • Hi Dave. Welcome to the site! Good to have you here, and thanks for the biog. You'll find folks here very encouraging of indie writers and designers, of which there are a large number already who would be happy to give you help and advice. I note that you're on the Twit, are you also on FB and/or G+? You'll find a lot of us there too, especially the latter.
  • Thanks! Yes, I am on G+ and Facebook, so please feel free to track me down there. Also yes, I already know a handful of folks here; you seem like a creative and supportive lot. Cheers!
  • Cool! Have added you on G+ and Tweety-pie. Chat soon.
  • edited January 2015
    I thought I'd make a reintroduction, it has been a couple of years since the last time.

I'm Wilhelm. I'm a Swedish software engineer who has played RPGs since the 80's, and done game design since the 00's. I published a couple of games and have now gathered them on Wilhelm's Games.

After losing touch with my gaming group due to work travel I have pretty much gone into hibernation when it comes to RPGs. But I run Play by Post games on G+. It is fun, even if it is not the same thing as tabletop gaming. I occasionally look for players for those games. (If you add me and your profile isn't clear on our gaming connection, shoot me a message, otherwise I'll just think you're a spam bot and block.)

I have drifted into playing go online the last couple of months, it is a brilliant board game. I waste time and money on photography, but don't have much to show for it yet. Twice a week I teach stick fighting.

• edited January 2015
    Hey, I've never introduced myself on here. I'm Jonathan Cook. I live in East Tennessee (Greeneville, to be precise). I've been lurking in online indie game circles for a long time (if you sort the members list by date registered on the Forge, I'm #13). But except for some failed experiments as a kid, I've only really been playing RPGs for the last couple years. The excellent group I play with leans trad, but has largely taken to some of the story game kool-aid I've been slipping them.

I also got to significantly increase the number of story games I've played by quitting my job and going on a cross-country adventure last summer. I got to play with a number of awesome groups, including The Gauntlet in Houston, Story Games Seattle and Olympia, and the fine folks at NewMexicon.

Since getting back home I've been gaming more than ever while continuing to nurse an existential crisis about what exactly I'm gonna do with my life. I'm on G+ and Twitter and Tumblr, and probably other places, too.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi there! Welcome to SG. Have added you on G+: I'm here and here. Look forward to chatting with you :)
  • Hi, everyone. I'm Michael, from New York. I'm a science-nerd and a recluse.

I've been DMing ad&d 2e since I was a kid, so that's my jam. That's also why I find this community to be so enticing. I appreciate the emphasis on storytelling in RPGs and find that many of the newer ones are too "board-gamey" for me. That's not to say I don't appreciate board-games in all of their many varieties - just a tabletop RPG preference.

Anyway, I look forward to joining some discussions on here.
  • Hi, I'm Charlie E/N. I write prose and waffle about games on a few different sites: D+Pad Magazine for video games, formerly Hooting into the Abyss for RPGs and board games, and I recently took up writing RPG articles, actual plays and such for Who Dares Rolls as they didn't have an RPG section yet.

I started role-playing in 1993 when I asked my dad for Vampire: The Masquerade for Christmas, thinking it was a spin-off from the Vampire CCG. After the initial shock of a giant hardback I ended up intrigued by it enough to try out Alternity, AD&D and went from there.
    In the last few years after being introduced to Houses of the Blooded & Fiasco at Dragonmeet, I've been finding out about story games. My group are evolving from being all about the trad games, although generally their main problem if their fear of a lack of structure to enforce play. Dungeon World and Apocalypse World seems to have hit the right note. Fate is a system I love, but one of my group freezes up with fear when he has to think if stunts & aspects, stuck with analysis paralysis which isn't helped by providing several examples. We're feeling our way around story games and I'm trying to inject what I learnt into the occasional trad game I run.
  • I'm Ys from a little town near Seattle. I imbibe vast amounts of roleplaying literature to sate my undying hunger for how stories are told, and hope that eventually I can imbibe an proportional amount of playtime.

I was introduced to roleplaying in around 2008~09 through D&D 3.5 in a magnificent epic campaign that lasted more or less a year week-by-week, and since then it's been a steadily growing obsession. My personal favorites are Fate in all its flavors and Fiasco, but I have a big crush on others like The Clay That Woke, Questlandia, Ryuutama, Golden Sky Stories, Fiction, Play With Intent and Nordic LARP.

I mostly run one-offs in Fate with irregular players, and now that I'm in Japan I haven't really looked into playing or running anything, but the best way to find new opportunities is certainly to be a part of the community so here I am!
  • edited February 2015
    edit
    why did I even try to make a post like this
    I don't like them because I get embarrassed
  • Hey all! I'm Tommy and I'm excited to be joining the site. I played RPGs a few times in high school (about 12 years ago) but lost touch with the people I played with. I'm just getting back into them and I'm starting a podcast called Literally Wizards that will be all about explaining/trying out a ton of different game systems.

I'm a huge geek and I'm really into movies, cartoons, 80s/90s nostalgia, etc. So far, my favorite RPG systems are Fate and the D6 system, but I still have a lot to try.
  • Welcome to the forums Tommy!
  • I am Evan. I really like Story Games and am willing to give pretty much any hard Indy game a try - stuff like Archipelago and Intrepid along with Monster Hearts. I have also run a lot of traditional games including Unknown Armies, Exalted, D&D, and one ill fated Vampire LARPs.

I am always eager to get in some gaming and am currently pretty flexible about scheduling, so if you need another player drop me a line. I live in California but am often available during my days (ie EU evenings).

I dream about designing a game sometime, but I would want to feel like I have something unique to add to the RPG world. Right now that isn't true.

I'm really stoked to be a part of this forum and am looking forward to talking with you all!
  • I'm John, a middle-aged dude with a wife and two kids living in northern NJ. Tabletop RPGS are my main hobby, though I also enjoy backpacking, quad skating, and cooking outdoors in cast iron dutch ovens.

I started my RPG hobby with AD & D, and have GMed Star Frontiers, Traveller, GURPS 3, GURPS 4, Savage Worlds, FAE and FATE CORE. My weekly gaming group, a.k.a. Team Weird, has been running continuously for 10 years now in New York City. We play a cinematic GURPS 4 in the house Infinite Worlds setting and rotate GMing duty. The group has changed over the years, people come and go as reality intrudes, but in general we've been lucky to have great players at the table any given week.

I also run a home game of GURPS Banestorm -- or at the moment, Banestorm Spelljammer! -- with my son. I started him on gaming when he was about 8. Now he's 20. He plays the same characters today that we generated then. Needless to say, they've developed into near demigods. In his last mission, he destroyed the Illithid fleet and home base asteroid. Yes, I throw in a lot of D & D monsters. He needs to have a classical education, right?

As a counterbalance to all that GURPS crunchiness, my game of choice for cons and one-shots is FATE CORE. At my last con, I ran a FATE CORE scenario in Frank Herbert's Duniverse. This time around, I'm running a Secrets of Cats adventure (see my other post in Meetups/Cons).

Good to meet you!
  • Hi Everyone,

My name is Brandon. I signed up here a long time ago which was at the tail end of my physical gaming life so I never became active. Since then I dropped off the map of gaming because I became too busy and didn't have time (self employed, starting a family.. life stuff). Before that I had been a weekly gamer for 20+ years.

Lately I've been tinkering more with game designs, while trying to get a few online things going (which all have failed). I thought I'd start rejoining the forums I used to follow. Get up to speed on gaming again even if I have no idea if I'll ever find the free time to game at a table with actual people!

Besides a general interest in RPG's and game design, I'm working on a story game that can be played with kids who can't read yet (aka my own children), and a personal rules light game design. Which means I'll probably post about those for advice or fun. Specially when I start testing the game with my daughter, Kids do the most awesome things while telling stories!

Brandon

• Hi, I'm open_sketchbook!

I write games under the name Newstand Press on DriveThruRPG. I write a lot of small 1 and 2 page games as well as some larger stuff; my biggest release so far is Must be Tuesday, a Buffy the Vampire Slayer themed light RPG.

I've been playing RPGs since I was 13 years old. I was really into hardcore optimized D&D 3.5 and Dark Heresy immediately after high school, but I since discovered indie RPGs (Starting with Burning Wheel, which I was introduced to via the Geeknights podcast) and have become much more invested in those kinds of games. Probably my favourite game right now is Torchbearer.

I like my games small, without cruft and with very narrow focuses. For example, my game Hell on Treads only does "The PCs are a tank crew on a mission." Fair warning: I generally dislike worldbuilding in games and I kinda see it as an admission that the mechanics alone can't carry the game. As a result I usually write games that are coded to popular genres and media. I understand this isn't a popular view, and I actually really like the creative process of worldbuilding itself, but I hate putting things in a rulebook that aren't rules!

My big projects right now are PATROL, a spiritual successor to the 1980s Palladium game RECON, and a Magical Girl game called 5 Across the Heart. Rather than having a development blog, I have a thread on a forum where I track my progress. I am also video game developer!
  • Howdy, I'm Jasper Meer! I live in Atlanta, on the edge of Edgewood Neighborhood (just a smidgen south of Little Five Points and a short walk north of East Atlanta Village.) Primarily, I organize a one-shot role playing game event on the first Saturday of every month at Manuel's Tavern (sometimes at Joystick Game Bar as well.) These monthly events are beginner-friendly and we typically draw between twenty and thirty gamers (of late, I've played a lot of Fiasco and Dungeon World to introduce new players to tabletop RPGs; I've found these systems to be the best way to rope folks into our geeky hobby.)
  • Hello all, I'm Aaron. Professional video editor and semi-professional writer living in New Jersey. I got back into tabletop RPG's a year ago after a ten year absence, mainly due to the extremely entertaining Role Play Public Radio podcast.

I'm lucky enough to have a weekly skype game with friends back home in Georgia.

I'm a beginning game designer, with my first publicly available game made for David Schirduan's 200 word RPG challenge, which you can find here.

Excited to be here.
  • Hi Aaron. Good to meet you. Welcome to the forums :)
  • Hi I'm Abraham Gray. I live in the USA. I work in a warehouse. I play Fighting Fantasy with my spouse, and a few forum games over at RPGGeek. I don't get much time to play, but enjoy reading session reports and essays on improving the gaming experience.
  • Hi everybody!

My name is Dimitri Balcaen. I'm a freelance designer/ retail employee from Belgium. And i'm basicly new to this community.

In the past i've mostly played D&D but last year i was introduced to the wider variety of story-games by a friend of mine. Shortly after that i started working on my own game, The Warring Woods, combining my passion for design with that for stories. Everything is starting to come together on that front, so with some luck, i'll be able to present it to you all soon enough.
  • Welcome to the forums dude! And good luck with your game, I look forward to hearing more about it.
  • Welcome to the forums dude! And good luck with your game, I look forward to hearing more about it.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, catty_Big! I hope to have it done by the end of next month so i can share it with the community. For now, i'm just trying to overcome the lasts kinks with the much appreciated help of the local experts.

• edited July 2015
    Cool. If you need any help, whether with editing and layout or playtesting, folks here will be happy to offer it - there are a lot of users with experience of indie game design.

If you've got an elevator pitch, you might want to consider posting in the Make Stuff category, just to whet our appetites.
  • Cool. If you need any help, whether with editing and layout or playtesting, folks here will be happy to offer it - there are a lot of users with experience of indie game design.

If you've got an elevator pitch, you might want to consider posting in the Make Stuff category, just to whet our appetites.
    That i've noticed! I currently have an extensive preview of the game in my "The Warring Woods" thread for those that are interested.

• Ok, will check it out. Are you on social media?
  • Ok, will check it out. Are you on social media?
    Yeah, but as a young father with two jobs, i don't really spend alot of time on them. You can mail me at dimitribalcaen@gmail.com though.

• edited August 2015
    Hi I'm Abraham Gray. I live in the USA. I work in a warehouse. I play Fighting Fantasy with my spouse, and a few forum games over at RPGGeek. I don't get much time to play, but enjoy reading session reports and essays on improving the gaming experience.
    Sorry Abraham, I missed this post. Welcome to you too! Do you dabble in game design at all? And can you point us to any session reports or essays you've read that really stood out for you, or gave you an unexpected insight into a specific game or gaming in general??

• My name is the Voyager and I work on a blog where I play RPGs solo, either to test out the RPG or a new engine/driver. Despite the hobby, I wound up living in a very vivid city where I ended up playing three different D&D games a week, so I'm not exactly alone.

I like a lot of the story games due to their simplicity and focus on narrative. D&D, and by extension D20, is alright, but sometimes it gets a bit complex for me. Especially older versions like 3.5. Ironically, I fell in love with Basic D&D.
  • I prefer my Uncles nom de guerre, that of Red. It is not my true name nor a nickname.

I am over twenty but under 40. I have been enjoying the internet since Searchlight was one of the "bigger" search engines. I enjoy Story Games, and have been trying for better or worse incorporate them into my sporadic play style.

I tend to be very inconsistent with my primary group, since I now live a bit farther than I'd like to be... Also I am typing this on a net-book. Something I haven't done in quite some time.

That is all.
  • Hi! I'm Jonathan Semple.

I like making games; both rpgs and video games. Recently I've been playing around hacking Apocalypse World a bunch (of which I'm a bit of a fanboy).

I have a regular group I run rpgs for on weekends, and another group currently playtesting one of the larger things I'm working on which I haven't release in any capacity yet (it's not quite written in a coherent manner yet).

I'm Canadian (currently in Ontario) and do some freelance programming/game development to earn rent.

\o/
  • Hi! I'm Alex.

I'm a Brooklyn-based gamer who typically runs 1-2 groups at a time and plays in 1-2 other groups as well. My background is mostly in very traditional RPGs, both OSR and otherwise (particular interests: RuneQuest, early edition D&D, and Ars Magica). But over time I've been getting more and more interested in story game-like stuff, in particular the PbtA games. From lurking here for a while, it seems like this forum is home to some of the best discussion and thinking about RPGs, both traditional and in their story game strain, that I've seen anywhere online. So here I am.
  • Welcome Alex!
  • edited October 2015
    Hi I'm Eric. I'm 24 and recently moved from Philadelphia to Seattle. and currently full-timing as a Business Analyst for a Union trust management administrator. It's as exciting as it sounds.

I'm a casual streamer on Twitch.tv/ericvulgaris and/or seen lurking around anything DW co-designer Adam Koebel does online. Also, I'm a new, but diehard member of Story Games Seattle.

Game design and sharing/interacting/introducing indie games is my absolute passion.

I've been playing RPGs for over a decade now and recently been getting into indie games and story games. I prefer games that are tight in scope which usually focus on relationships and serious drama than epic tales of action/adventure. Contrary to my usual taste in focused games is my favorite game of them all: Microscope.

I love that game so much I'm literally right now writing up a presentation video explaining why this game is so good subjectively and objectively!

In the near future I will be streaming my games of Microscope online! Additionally I'm working on various tweaks and hacks to RPGs as well as a real-deal hexcrawl supplement to be published either end of 2015 or early 2016.

Ben Robbins and Jason Morningstar, if you're reading this, know I love everything you guys do and you both basically changed my life and how I view games. Thank you.
  • edited October 2015
    Good to see you here Eric. a massive fan of BR and JM too, and Microscope and Fiasco being two of my three all-time fave indie RPGs (the other being Paul Czege's My Life with Master. Also, Epistolary Richard of this parish is a tireless advocate of Microscope; check out this episode of Canon Puncture to find out why.
  • Hi, I'm Kevin. Late-20s living in mid-Maryland.

I've been into RPGs since my friends introduced me to Exalted 1st Edition back in 2003, after which I moved to D&D 3.5 and Eberron. For about five years after that I was exclusively D&D until a little game called Changeling: The Lost made me check out the World of Darkness.

I stayed within that sphere for a couple of years until Marvel Heroic Roleplaying stole my attention away, and since then I've started eagerly consuming games like Fiasco, Psi*Run, Primetime Adventures, and Powered by the Apocalypse games (current favorite: Monster of the Week).

My groups trend trad, and specifically like games that focus on character builds and overcoming obstacles unrelated to the narrative (read: adventure games). Still, I'm hoping that with narrative widgets in games like the World of Darkness 2nd Edition and Monster of the Week I'll be able to convince them to try one of these story games.
  • edited October 2015
    My groups trend trad, and specifically like games that focus on character builds and overcoming obstacles unrelated to the narrative (read: adventure games). Still, I'm hoping that with narrative widgets in games like the World of Darkness 2nd Edition and Monster of the Week I'll be able to convince them to try one of these story games.
    Good luck with that! [he says from bitter experience]
  • Hey, Kevin. I'm in Owings Mills, MD. Welcome to Story Games.
  • My name is Marek. I'm 47, and work in software QA for a major video game company. I split my time between my home and wife in San Diego, and work in Irvine. I started with T&T, Thieves Guild, Traveller, and AD&D, and my immediate friends play in a sort of traditional way through the decades across many game systems. I always tinker with games to get closer to the experience I want, which is usually some sort of more personal, intimate picture, all of which started in Theives Guild's approach to roguish play in a fantasy world.

I have had a great deal of enjoyment and frustration playing text based games online in various settings, but mainly the World of Darkness game lines.

I am as likely to tinker with how players approach play as fiddle with changing probability curves.
  • Welcome, everyone!
    Hi, I'm Kevin. Late-20s living in mid-Maryland.
    Hey, Kevin. I'm in Owings Mills, MD. Welcome to Story Games.

• Hello!

My name is sheilarah, I live in New England. I have a group of friends that play board games together pretty regularly, and we just started dipping our toes into RPGs together. I've had so much fun running our first game together and I'm very interested in how to get better at it!
  • Hi Sheila. There are a fair few UKers on here. Where are you based? What RPGs have you and your group tried so far, and what has been your experience of them?
  • Welcome, everyone!

Hey, Kevin. I'm in Owings Mills, MD. Welcome to Story Games.

Hi Adam. I'm currently in Odenton, next year we're looking at moving to the Greenbelt area (wife works in DC: gotta go where the money is, amiright?)

Do you attend the Charm City Gamedays held at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie? If so we've probably met.
    Hi Sheila. There are a fair few UKers on here. Where are you based? What RPGs have you and your group tried so far, and what has been your experience of them?
    Isn't New England the Eastern Coast of the United States of America? Usually referring to the Northeast Coast specifically?
  • Hi Sheila. There are a fair few UKers on here. Where are you based? What RPGs have you and your group tried so far, and what has been your experience of them?
    Isn't New England the Eastern Coast of the United States of America? Usually referring to the Northeast Coast specifically?
    Oops, didn't spot the 'New'. My bad.

• Hello all,

I'm Kevin. I'm 42, live in Oakland CA, and work from home as a system administrator for an online commerce company.

I started playing Moldvay Red Box D&D in elementary school, a bunch of Palladium systems in high school, and GURPS in my early 20s. After that I drifted towards less crunchy rulesets like FUDGE and started groping towards more story-based gaming. About 10 years ago I moved up to the Bay Area for work, lost my regular group, and stopped playing RPGs.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine told me about Big Bad Con in Oakland and, on a whim, I went. I had a great time and got interested in tabletop gaming again.

I have a small kid and I'm at the age where a lot of my friends are in the same boat, so I'm experimenting with doing story game one-shots from time to time since scheduling a weekly game is so difficult. The first session is in a couple of weeks and I have a mix of experienced and totally novice players. I'm going to try running an Apocalypse World one-shot spread across two sessions on a lazy Saturday. Wish me luck!

This discussion has been closed.