[Fiasco] Playsets you'd like to see

Comments

• Would love to see a Homeland/Manchurian Candidate inspired one...or does such a thing exist?
    oooooooh....

• Has anyone suggested a Craig's List playset? It's all about sales and scams and showing up at peoples houses or them showing up at yours.

What about a swap meet?
  • I like that idea! You could mess with objects and locations in fun ways. Maybe swap out locations and make it "true history of object" or something.
  • Is there a playset for a Vampire LARP scene (serial numbers filled off), maybe with in-character and out-of-character abusive relationships?
  • There sure should be some creepy locations for a craig's list playset. Uncomfortabale dates need to take place somewhere.
  • edited January 2013
    Relationship: Personals
    - w4w
    - w4m
    - m4w
    - m4m
    - casual encounters
    - missed connections
  • I'd like to see a larp playset generally, that could be really good.
  • Relationship: Personals
    - w4w
    - w4m
    - m4w
    - m4m
    - casual encounters
    - missed connections
    Playset name: Missed Connections
  • Is there a boxing/prizefight playset yet?
  • Ooh, a pro wrestling one would be cool, too!
  • I think Contenders and Piledrivers and Powerbombs pretty much handle those two genres perfectly (though I've never played the latter, and I've minimal-to-no exposure to professional wrestling).
  • Relationship: Personals
    - w4w
    - w4m
    - m4w
    - m4m
    - casual encounters
    - missed connections
    And, naturally, the hijinks which ensue when these relationships imply that someone posted claiming to be both a man and a woman.
  • I guess Holy Week has me in a religious frame of mind. How about:

- The Last Supper
    - The Coucil of Trent
    - The United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing
    - Or any tent revival/radio preacher/televangelist milieu
  • Of just the conclave with a pope election.

• +1 Mad Men - White Collar looks pretty close to what I'd want to get out of that, actually - I'm not sure why 'impenetrable' is a problem - as long as there's one guy at the table who understands how that stuff works and can explain it to the others. (Though I'm not that guy, it would probably turn out pretty 'weekend at Bernie's' for me, I'm still game to try it someday.)
    Fisaco was a perfect thing to introduce some friends to tabletop gaming with, and I wanted to do it with something Mad Men themed because they were all familiar with the show. I couldn't find a playset that felt enough like Mad Men. Just like you said, white collar was closest, but it just didn't fit. After we got finished running a basic noir themed one, I got together with someone from the group and wrote up a Mad Men themed Fiasco playset. If you are still interested in one, you can find it here:
    http://johnarcadian.com/vsat/fiasco-madison-avenue/

• A group of idealistic young wanna-be activists setting up a dangerous action, like freeing animals from cosmetology labs or blowing up dams. The logistics and timing must be just so, but these dweebs are not what you'd call super-spies. They're a pack of loveable losers who couldn't even get a job at Burger King. Plus of course, no one knows which one of them is the Fed.
  • I keep trying to make a Marble Hornets one. Every time I do, though, I black out and when I wake up and find a bunch of nonsensical scribbles and symbols.
  • How about the players are an odd collection of aliens trying to probe, invade, or get back home without ending up on an autopsy table, while visiting Earth.
  • The Coneheads?
  • I make all the playsets I want:

Colonials a playset based on Aliens.

X-People an X-Men playset.
  • A group of idealistic young wanna-be activists setting up a dangerous action, like freeing animals from cosmetology labs or blowing up dams. The logistics and timing must be just so, but these dweebs are not what you'd call super-spies. They're a pack of loveable losers who couldn't even get a job at Burger King. Plus of course, no one knows which one of them is the Fed.
    Depending on the decade, the Fed's the one who's actually paid the dues to join the organization or the one with short hair or both.

• I actually made the Divorce Colony playset I was talking about a long while ago. Or at least a first version of it.
  • edited April 2014
    Cool stuff, @one_shot!

Now I wanna write a Stonewall playset. Maybe in time for Pride.

Over on my thread, I've made a couple of playsets to jump people into the campaign. This one got pretty experimental--everyone had to choose a location, and all the locations had something to do with the life of the now-deceased NPC that is the spine of the campaign. But the kicker was that the locations were not just places, but times--specific episodes in the life of Jackson Elias. I'd like to try something like that again someday...
  • That is an interesting use of Fiasco. I should look into that thread.
  • Thanks, Biest. Using the Fiasco playsets has worked really well; while I don't think the Fiasco bits we did were all that good as Fiasco games, the relationships generated by them took the campaign in really interesting directions--Jax and the Freddie PC having been engaged being the most important one, probably.

(The posts describing the Fiasco play are here, here, and here)
  • I will take a look. I didn't do so earlier because I am bit burned out from big COC Campaignthreads. They are one of the big topics in the german publisher's forums I attend. But yeah you seem to be doing stuff that is worth taking a look.
  • I hear you man. Hell, I'm burned out on it, which is why I'm wrapping the campaign soon. Though I should note that I've been using Trail, not Call; this has had some interesting effects.
  • A Paranoia playset :)
  • edited April 2014
    A version of GRAVITY that takes place on the international space station, where astronauts of various genders and nationalities with hilarious accents are too busy fucking each other and getting histrionic to complete their missions. In Act Two you add a Jenga tower and in addition to their established scenes, players have to make a pull every time someone has to do something outside the spacecraft. Nearly every important object, need or location involves going outside the spacecraft. Every time someone fails a pull, a piece of space junk blows them away in some sudden and unavoidable fashion, and destroys another important piece of the ship. When all players except one have been disposed of, instead of doing the aftermath sequence she plays Roll for Shoes all the way back to Earth.
  • edited April 2014

Now I wanna write a Stonewall playset. Maybe in time for Pride.

I'm a straight white dude, and I would totally play this. Stonewall was an amazing moment, and SO MANY opportunities for Fiascoes.

ETA: I'm not sure that came off right. To clarify, my response was, "Yes! Awesome!"
  • Playset: "Vonnegut"

Relationship: Alien Abductor and Victim
    Object: Ice-9
    Tilt: Timequake
  • edited April 2014
    My wish is a Wong Karwai-Takeshi Kitano playset. But with who could I play that? :)
  • I still haven't released my Don't Walk in Winter Wood playset. I'll put it up if there's any interest.
  • I'd at least take a look.
  • A Paranoia playset :)
    http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/wiki/index.php?title=Alpha_Complex
    That one is good, but what I would really love is a playset that covers every kind of citizen and situation, not just Troubleshooters on a mission. Low-level INFRARED, GREEN security goon, leader of a secret society, an ULTRAVIOLET programmer, etc.
  • @Himalayan_Salt that's not how Fiasco playsets work.
  • @Himalayan_Salt that's not how Fiasco playsets work.
    What do you mean?
  • edited April 2014
    I mean that they are built around relationships, and all 36 relationships need to seamlessly integrate in any combination, by design. That's why they are about particular sorts of people in particular circumstances rather than being broad setting documents.
  • Every morning I walk past a beauty school. I see some people arriving but the place is never full. There's a Fiasco in there, I'm sure of it.
  • It's funny - for years I've wanted to write one that takes place entirely within a Chicken Hut. It's surprisingly difficult! A beauty school sounds delicious - wide enough to encompass all sorts of interesting people and things, narrow enough to be wonderfully focused.
  • edited April 2014
    Hogan's Heroes.

You know, because being held captive by a bunch of retarded Nazis is just good fun for everyone!
  • Lucky Strike is basically that, except you are sort of being held captive by your own military.
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah, but nah, I think they're different enough to warrant a separate playset. In HH everything always revolves around The Great Escape Plan, which always fails, and the Germans are played like a bunch of egotistical keystone cops.

But I got another one for ya:

ANTIQUE ODDITY ROADSHOW
    A fusion of TV's "Oddities" with "Antique Roadshow", where people bring their bizarre curios to a traveling tent production to have them appraised and their histories discovered. Except the artifacts featured by his particular show veer toward the macabre, the eldritch, the ghastly and the supernaturally-powerful. The Necronomicon, for instance, which exists in multiple copies (and fierce online battles frequently erupt between advocates of the various versions).

Oh, or...

AUSPICIOUS AUCTION
    It's an auction, not a roadshow, and there's some mighty mojo being auctioned off today. Who died and bequeathed all this legendary stuff to Bartleton & Sothermule's Discount Curios Collections? One thing's for sure, these small-time art dweebs are not ready for the crowd that's starting to arrive. You see, the community of seriously hardcore Magical Artifact Collectors is very small, and prone to internecene squabbling. They have studied each other's collections and bidding styles. They are familiar with each other's talents, interests and specialities. They know each other's secrets (well, some of them), and they have interpersonal histories of their own...

BUY TWO, GET ONE FREE!

THE CRYING OF LOT 49
    No one knows for sure what Lot 49 consists of, but they all have their theories, and they all want to possess this last vestige of Pierce Inverarity's estate. Players represent various factions: The Government, Thurn und Taxis, W.A.S.T.E./Trystero, Yoyodyne, The Peter Pinguid Society, as well as independent collection houses and private parties. You could even play Oedipa Maas and other major characters, what the hell. The game starts just before the novel ends; the bidders are arriving at the auction house, but they haven't been called to take their seats yet. They have an hour or two before the crying. Might want a custom tilt table. I can't decide whether the tilt should come when Lot 49 is actually auctioned (could lead to car chases, subsequent thievery, fistfights, who knows), or whether the actual crying should be postponed to the aftermath. You figure that part out.
  • The first of those definitely reminds me of Bookhounds of London, which is worth checking out.

• I'm a straight white dude, and I would totally play this. Stonewall was an amazing moment, and SO MANY opportunities for Fiascoes.

ETA: I'm not sure that came off right. To clarify, my response was, "Yes! Awesome!"
    Well, just under the wire, but I found time while on vacation to finish it. So, with much trepidation, I present: Stonewall, a Fiasco Playset
  • Kaiju Klub and the tilt is Godzilla showing up to ruin your day.
  • edited July 2014
    A team game show like Family Feud. One whole round of scenes could be a set of imaginary 'what would you do with the prize money' vignettes, some of which lead to black die places.
  • I've written a zombie playset that has been fun.

A playset I have just started to think about is something like a Modern Fantasy -- like something out of a Neil Gaiman novel or graphic novel. I've not read the Dresden Files books, but that concept of mystic investigator could fuel an entertaining game.