Games as a creative writing exercise . . . manifested!

edited February 2014 in Directed Promotion
So, a few threads down, there is a discussion about games as inspiration for writing. The conversation resonated with me because I use ideas, events, themes, and plot points from my gaming experiences to influence my writing all the time. In particular, as somebody mentioned, Microscope is great. Archipelago II, has generated some of my favorite fictional experiences of all time. In fact . . . I wrote a novella derived in part from stories in those two games. (It's called Wizard with a Gold Tooth. I'd be honored if some of you would check it out.)

If anyone else has written stories that have their seeds at the gaming table, I'd love to check them out! So, please feel free to post stuff in this thread.

And, if you read my story, thank you in advance! I hope you like it.

Comments

• I am also interested in games as a creative exercise. Some rulebooks and sourcebooks are already more creative and absorbing than a lot of the fiction out there, and some of my players do things that are so "out there" it would possibly never make it into fiction.

I'd like to play a lot more forum games to enhance my immersion in the whole storytelling process. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good forum with a wide range of games (not RPGGeek), then I would be thankful.
  • Microscope is great. Archipelago II, has generated some of my favorite fictional experiences of all time. In fact . . . I wrote a novella derived in part from stories in those two games. (It's called Wizard with a Gold Tooth. I'd be honored if some of you would check it out.)
    I did check it out, and it's good work. Tight, with a sense of other things to come, but complete in itself. Nice!

• edited February 2014
    @WPTunes: Thank you very much! I really appreciate that. :)
  • When I still played parlor LARP every weekend, I'd create "journals" for my PCs. Other than those, I've only had a couple of stories bubble out of gaming: An Aberrant PC's back story; some fictional setting material for a HERO System false start; a Beyond The Supernatural module came out of this story (the opposite of what you asked, but...); and finally, the back stories for an Interactive Magic (I-Magic) strategy game, which were all 'derived' from the factions' stats and equipment at the start of a game.
  • I wonder how much fantasy fiction has emerged from RPGs? It's not infrequent that I hear "this popular series is based on the author's D&D games", though I haven't seen much proof.

I GMed a years-long game in high school which was largely focused on my NPC bad guys. By the end, the antagonist was so clear and developed in my mind that I had enough for 2 novels (which I wrote after college).
  • I think it would be rad if somebody wrote a series of Don't Rest Your Head novels. I feel like that game would create really good fiction.
  • The two Malazan series (by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont) are based on a game world created for a GURPS Fantasy game.
  • I think it would be rad if somebody wrote a series of Don't Rest Your Head novels. I feel like that game would create really good fiction.
    Not novels, but an official DRYH short story collection came out about a year ago:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Read-This-Book-Forbidden/dp/1613170122
  • Wow. Thank you.

• There was a Danish author some 20 years back who wrote a series of horror novels that was pretty much a transcription of his Call of Cthulhu campaign. It was quite succesful.
  • By the way, Wizard with a Gold Tooth is free through Sunday. :)
  • This furthers my resolve to write a Penny For My Thoughts movie script.