Tweak-a-boo!

edited July 2013 in Story Games
A friend was having birthday drinks on Saturday, and mentioned in the round-robin e-mail that someone might be bringing Microscope. Fantastic! I thought, I'd be happy to play it. But then my mind started to wander... and I came up with a hack called Stethoscope. Well, not really a hack, just a tweaking of the name. Anybody got any other similar ideas? Here's my pitch for Stethoscope:

Stethoscope
A collaborative story game where characters develop the power to see into the people around them’s innermost thoughts, the pulsating dark heart of the city. But can they convince other people to help them intervene to nip evil and wickedness in the bud, or are they doomed to watch helplessly as apparently decent and honourable individuals carry out their dastardly schemes and machinations…?

Comments

• edited July 2013
    And here's another one:

Misterhearts
    A roleplaying game about the messy lives of teenage Mister Men/Women characters.
  • The Quiet Beer
    For a long time, we were at war with each other. But now, we’ve called a truce, and we have this – a beer of relative peace. One quiet beer, which to savor. Come morning, our heads will be pounding and our relationship might not survive beyond that. But we don’t know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to drink something.
  • edited July 2013
    Dogs in the Backyard
    It's during the 50s and the pack is all the matters. With pulsing music and daring moves, dogs are cleaning out rivalry gangs. It's a hard life style, filled with fear and violence. If you're not careful, your ear will be ripped off. Or worse, you will loose your face. Why do they do it? Because they can.

One can have herpes
    It ... If ... uhm... no, I wont even go there.

(Awesome title for this thread, btw.)
  • The Quiet Beer
    For a long time, we were at war with each other. But now, we’ve called a truce, and we have this – a beer of relative peace. One quiet beer, which to savor. Come morning, our heads will be pounding and our relationship might not survive beyond that. But we don’t know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to drink something.
    I play this game ALL THE TIME. Just didn't know it had a name.

• (Awesome title for this thread, btw.)
    Yes! Seconded.

• edited July 2013
    Burning Meal
    It's an intense game of testing your beliefs about the most savagely-cooked food you can muster up, sparking conflicts around the ingredients that shape your character's very soul! Follow your culinary instincts, and challenge the things you believe. You are what you eat. Let your meal burn, and you will never be the same.
  • In a Pickled Age
    ...Your jar is not yours to choose, but your brine is what you make it.
  • Some of you may have heard me mention Munsterfarts, my *World game in development about 19th century cheese-eating flatulists in the Vosges.

But you might not be aware of Dugongs and Dragoons, an OSR homage to '70s games about pistol-wielding marine mammals in the Napoleonic age.
  • edited July 2013
    FleaMarket - You want to sell your home made junk and household hand-me-downs but you end up giving it all away and becoming popular instead.

Bread - You have a loaf of bread on the table and every time you take a slice to make a sandwich you find yourself having to work harder to find a suitable sandwich filling. Will you make sandwiches before the loaf goes stale or will the lack of fillings frustrate you to the point of attacking the bread and knocking it on the floor?
  • Pois'd - You are the captain of a ship. You keep it ship shape by keeping composed and confident and leading by example. You are the very model of a modern major general. The other players will try to make you slip up and lose control.

Dungeon Whirled - A crazy game of dungeon exploration! When you roll a one on the dice the motor spins the whole dungeon! It moves players and monsters to the outer dungeon wall and you'll be on a new path in your race to get to the centre!
  • edited July 2013

(Awesome title for this thread, btw.)
    Yes! Seconded.

Thanks!

Some great tweakings there- keep 'em coming!

Bread - You have a loaf of bread on the table and every time you take a slice to make a sandwich you find yourself having to work harder to find a suitable sandwich filling. Will you make sandwiches before the loaf goes stale or will the lack of fillings frustrate you to the point of attacking the bread and knocking it on the floor?
    I already got a hack for that:

Bread of Night
    You're a group of teenagers in a cabin in the woods. It's isolated, pitch dark and very creepy. One by one the characters go into the kitchen area during the night to make a sandwich and... well, I won't spoil the surprise, but, you know, weird things happen to them.
  • Burning Umpires — defend the most important American pastime against aliens.

BURPS — Barely Understandable Reprehensible Parody System

A Penny For Your Bots — Try to remember what you did on the Internet last week.

Dine In Danger — You're trying to have a nice meal, but people keep attacking you!
  • edited July 2013
    Disgruntled former writer on Changeling goes to the Dark Side- AKA Lucasarts- and collaborates with them on:

Star Wars: Hedge of Empire
    A ring of steel- well, a cobbled together mass of nuts, bolts, cogs, bits of wire and bent-out-of-shape old cutlery etc.- has been hastily erected around the outermost reaches of the Empire, both to act as a barrier to enemies seeking ingress, and to keep in those disloyal elements who would escape and join the ranks of those whose aim is to destory it.

The writers are currently working out how to incorporate fetches, freeholds, and Seasonal Courts in the realms of Deep Sapce outside the Empire's borders. (George Lucas is believed to have called these writers a 'phantom menace' for tampering with his creation).
  • mary: a game about her
    A squad of young men deal with their personal burdens while trying to woo a girl named Mary.

In a Wicker Age
    All Oracles lead to the furniture on your front porch.

My Life with Hastur
    You play minions of the Unspeakable One. Can you gain enough love to overcome your self-loathing and overthrow Hastur? Of course not.

13th Egg
    A love letter to breakfast.

Schlock: Social Science Fiction on the Cheap
    Pretty much like Shock:, but not quite as good.

All Fish Must Be Eaten
    An underwater horror survival game.

Bunnies and William S. Burroughs
    You play a rabbit struggling with drugs, homosexuality, and death.

Skyrealms of Jerusalem
    Explore a fantastic future where the Holy Land is on a floating island.

I could do this all day.
  • edited July 2013
    My Life with Hastur
    You play minions of the Unspeakable One. Can you gain enough love to overcome your self-loathing and overthrow Hastur? Of course not.
    Do you know, all joking aside I think this is doable. Write it dude!

• You could play the Master as Hastur without any real change to the game as written, I think. Just set Fear to 5 and Reason to 2 and wallow in awfulness.
  • My Life with Pastor
    You play choir boys... no, gah.
  • Seventh C-Section
    Swashbuckling pregnancies!

Ars Tragica
    You're part of a Troupe of traveling stage performers in a fantasy medieval Europe.

Selfquest
    Solipsistic role-playing in the world of Commode. (Too obscure?)

The Fantasy Crip
    A simple, fast microgame where you pit gang members against each other in mortal combat.

Talis-Atlanta
    Find out what happens when Stephen Michael Secchi takes a trip to Dragon Con. No elves!

• Torture Bearer - "You'll pray for death. It will not come." -Jared Sorensen
  • Pathloser
    Kill things, get lost in the wilderness, and you can't find your stuff.
  • edited July 2013
    Bunnies and William S. Burroughs
    You play a rabbit struggling with drugs, homosexuality, and death.
    Not to be confused with Bunnies and Edgar Rice Burroughs, in which you play rabbits fighting for control of Mars.
  • Torture Bearer - "You'll pray for death. It will not come." -Jared Sorensen
    Torch Beaver
    The resource-tracking dungeon crawl for furries.
  • edited July 2013
    Maus Guard - An oppressive right wing political army battles to control the territories.

Mao's Guard - An oppressive left wing political army battles to control the territories.