Johnstone in Seattle

Hello Seattle people!

This year for Go Play Northwest, Joe Mcdaldno and myself are thinking of coming down a couple of days early to hang out in Seattle. Now, Joe may be something of a veteran hobo at this point, but me? I normally rely on a chauffeur and I have seen barely anything of Seattle or you fine Seattlites outside of GPNW. So why don't we get together this year?

If you want to hang out, show me* around, play some games, and most importantly, if you can put me* up for a night or two, let me* know in this thread (post or whisper) or hit me up on the facebooks or the g+ or the gmails (johnstone dot metzger). Just like I will at the convention itself, I can run some damn fine Dungeon World and Dungeon Planet, and I know how to play a host of other wonderful games, some of which you probably own.

*me and/or Joe, of course.

Or, if you would like to recommend things to do and places to go, that would be a fine thing, too.

Comments

• I'll be in Seattle all day Friday, and if you are around maybe I can show up late Thursday night.
  • I will unfortunately be showing up Friday afternoon. But I would like to play some damn fine Dungeon Planet!

Also, #veteranhobo
  • Okay, we will arrive about 3:30pm on Thursday. We have accommodations, so all that is left is to at some point organize hang-outs and games between then and GPNW.
  • Pacific Northwest

You are standing in the street west of a Starbucks, with an open front door.
    There is a Johnstone here.
    There is a Mcdaldno here.
  • Use Mcdaldno on Johnstone.

Get Starbucks.
  • Proposed Thursday night itinerary:

6PM - Dinner at Six Arms

Followed by gaming at The Raygun Lounge which is just a short walk away.
  • Cool, I just got that Thursday afternoon off work. I'll see which smart bombs want a ride up from Olympia in my car and then we can go to Story Games Seattle and BLOW. IT. UP.

Also, Johnstone, if you drink the beer and eat the cheese, then I'd like to buy you the beer and the cheese, and have you tell me your thoughts on some Monsterhearts stuff I think about. Joe can probably come.
  • I do not drink the beer because I am bitter enough as it is, but cider, wine coolers, rum, tequila, and sometimes bourbon are all acceptable substitutes. Or wine if I eat food with it.

I have been down to GPNW like 4 or 5 times now and still haven't gone to Raygun! So this is a good idea.
  • edited June 2013
    My pllllllllan is to do some secret cabal stuff on Thursday and none of you are invited, but then on Friday to try and maximize hang-outs and socialization and high-fives from about noon until GPNW starts. I'm hoping a bunch of you want to hang out with me (and Johnzo, and Johnstone, and Johnmorganstinson, etc) - in parks, in cafes, in bars, in crooked beautiful alleys, in grimey clubs caked in last night's glitter, in more parks, whatever.
  • I forget if I was going to go to work or not on the Friday of GPNW. Maybe I was? I dunno. I don't have to. I might be up for shenanigans in the Pike/Pine area.
  • McDaldno, how serious a park are you into? My favorite ones are the Ballard Locks (where the Salmon swim through) and botanical garden; Discovery Park ( http://www.seattle.gov/parks/environment/discovery.htm), Carkeek Park ( http://www.seattle.gov/parks/environment/carkeek.htm), Ravenna Park ( http://www.seattle.gov/parks/park_detail.asp?ID=391), the Washington Park arboretum ( http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/wpa.shtml) and the Japanese garden.
  • Oh, also Adam K (skinnyghost) and I (and a few others) are driving down that morning. I don't know what we're doing.

Probably something social and whiskey related.
  • Okay, I'm off work on Friday the 28th. Who wants to play some pre-con deadly-serious Dominion?
  • edited June 2013
    I have Friday off. How about we have a picnic on Friday afternoon? We can find a nice park (Seattle is lousy with parks) and just chill hard in the (hopefully) sun. I nominate Cal Anderson or Volunteer parks, as both are within a nice stroll of Seattle U.

There could be a frisbee and pets and maybe even coolers full of thiiiings. We could get tans!
  • edited June 2013
    I will unfortunately be showing up Friday afternoon. But I would like to play some damn fine Dungeon Planet!
    WHAT THE FUCK BENNETT YOU TOLD ME YOU WEREN'T COMING UP HERE THIS YEAR YOU FIBBER.
  • I have that Friday off, so I'm down for a picnic too. The weather is 50/50 this time of year, so it might be helpful to have a rain plan :)
  • Okay, so this looks like the plan so far:

Thursday:
    - 3:30pm: Arrive in Seattle.
    - 6:00pm: Dinner at the Six Arms.
    - After dinner: Gaming at Raygun.

Friday:
    - Noon: Picnic in a park, yet to be determined.
    - Whenever it starts: GPNW.

So that seems pretty solid. I dunno what the different parks are like (the Japanese garden sounds nice but I think the website mentioned admission? Boo!) so probably somebody else needs to figure that out. Maybe the one that is closest to the rain plan alternative?
    (Rain plan is good idea!)

Also, I don't know how soon Joe is going to ditch me to handle his Super Secret Super Villain Schemes, so I may need some suggestions for Stuff to Do that is In Between the Bolt Bus and the Six Arms That Will Let Me Pretend I am On a Quest.
  • The extended forecast for GPNW is looking good:
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=seattle,+wa

Rain plan alternative on Friday - come join me hanging out at Campion all morning and afternoon waiting for the con to start. We can play games in between me answering questions from the housing and catering staff and early con arrivers.
  • Also, I don't know how soon Joe is going to ditch me to handle his Super Secret Super Villain Schemes, so I may need some suggestions for Stuff to Do that is In Between the Bolt Bus and the Six Arms That Will Let Me Pretend I am On a Quest.
    I don't know, either. Probably pretty quick.

Villainy ain't a speedy affair.
  • To make coordinating easy on Friday, I'm just going to give you all some information: 778-714-7562. Is me.
  • @Johnstone, Cal Anderson park is very, very close to Seattle University, is quite lovely, and has lots of lovely foods to go get and drag to the park. It'll do ya fine.

If you're looking for something a little quieter, there's a couple of pocket parks in east Capitol Hill (also near the venue) worth checking out:
    - Williams Place, across from a Safeway at NE 15th Ave E and E John St. Great place to people watch and eat lovely takeout foods or drink frosty drinks.
    - Homer Harris Park, on 24th Ave and E Howell St is perhaps my favorite residential neighborhood park in the city. It's got seating, public-use grills, and one hell of a view of Madrona and the lake. If you manage to get a large-ish posse together, you could even have an impromptu picnic.

As far as the Pretending You Are On a Quest thing, have you heard of geocaching? You should try it.
  • For reference, if you registered to stay on campus, check-in for rooms in Campion Tower opens at 1 PM. We officially "open doors" at 5 PM, although typically there's already a bunch of people there before then. And possibly confusing the "open doors" time is the fact that, provided the weather holds as lovely as is currently predicted, we'll be having the Friday Night Feast outdoors in the Quad, a short walk from Campion.
  • @Johnstone, Cal Anderson park is very, very close to Seattle University, is quite lovely, and has lots of lovely foods to go get and drag to the park. It'll do ya fine.
    I second Cal Anderson, because the other parks aren't quite easy walks to SU and thus transportation will need to be coordinated which makes it harder.
  • I'm being called to duty to help with GPNW set up Thursday night, so I'll probably not make it to the Six Arms or the Ray Gun Lounge. Is there another Seattleite planning on attending to play host to our out of town guests?

If not - can still reserve a table at Six Arms and maybe have a salad with you before heading over to Tony's to count t-shirts and print out badges and event forms.
  • Feel like it's worth mentioning that GPNW is coinciding with Pride weekend, so the Pike/Pine neighborhood just north of Seattle U will probably be even more riotous than usual, for people looking for extracurricular activities.
  • Oh shit I will be dressed as a unicorn princess on Saturday already so wow that's like perfect serendipity.
  • Hey, 2 people = dinner party as far as I'm concerned!
    As far as the Pretending You Are On a Quest thing, have you heard of geocaching? You should try it.
    I don't have internet on my phone. I am still living in the last century!

Speaking of, my number's 604-612-8943. You can call me, or call Joe, or just arrive at a Designated Fun Zone during a Designated Fun Time, as updates are posted.
  • I don't have internet on my phone. I am still living in the last century!
    Make it a multiplayer game. :) In fact, it should be easy enough to find a challenge that necessitates more than one person.
  • Is there another Seattleite planning on attending to play host to our out of town guests?
    *meekly raises hand* I am planning on being there.
    Me too.
  • Also, people coming to Seattle -- if anyone needs to stash stuff (luggage, games, etc) in a space near the con on Thursday / Friday, I can offer my apartment, which is less than a mile from SU.
  • edited June 2013
    Dani & Johnzo - you rock!
  • OK so the Thursday schedule looks clear (unfortunately I am likely working late, so won't make it), but the Friday one less so. It looks like what we have so far is:

Noon - meet at Cal Anderson park for picnic. Do y'all want to meet beforehand to grab food to bring? If it's raining, meet John P at Campion instead.

5 pm - con begins.

Any other ideas or requests for our out-of-town friends? Check out a different park, see the aquarium, science center, etc.?

Best Wishes, Manu
  • For those who haven't met me, this is what I look like:
  • edited June 2013
    That's his "nice to meet you smile". Inside, his heart sings of ponies.

Are you guys dropping by the Raygun thursday night? Story Games Seattle kicks off at 6:30 pm but if you swing by later you're welcome to say hello or grab any tables you want and game, etc. We'll already be gaming but you can do what you want because it's a free country, dammit. Unlike Canada.
  • In Soviet Canuckistan, Story Games Night is 6:30 WEDNESDAY.

Oh fuck that's in like 25 minutes.

So that's a yes Ben. I will be late for Story Games tomorrow night, too.
  • Also: What is the Seattle Art Museum (downtown) and the Seattle Architecture Foundation like? Any good? Admission?
  • The SAM is pretty decent. Their Native American works are particularly interesting. I had grown to prefer the artist lofts/studios in Pioneer Square, but then I'm no art critic.
  • Rad. The SAM is smack dab between the Bolt Bus and the Six Arms, so I'm 'a check it.
  • Dang, a week early. The SAM is free on the first Thursday of each month. Otherwise (ie tomorrow) it's $17 per adult ($11 if you've got current student ID though, and $15 for seniors or if you have military ID).

Gonna be trying to come up and be there for the park stuffs. Noon, at Cal Anderson, right?
  • I'd also recommend the Burke Museum, Pike Place Market/waterfront, Seattle Center, and any of Seattle's gorgeous parks.
    The Pike Place Market is where they throw the fish, it's cool to check out :) Also the aquarium is near there. The Arboretum is about a mile NE of Seattle U, and Volunteer Park with the Asian Art museum is a mile due north.

Best, Manu
  • Gonna be trying to come up and be there for the park stuffs. Noon, at Cal Anderson, right?
    Sounds like it, on Friday. I'm not clear on whether folks want to eat first and then meet there, meet first to get food and then picnic, or just show up at Cal Anderson with food :)

• Alright, I'm out. See y'all in Seattle.
  • Johnstone I am at the station waiting for you and I am boooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred. Hurry up and get here.
  • This is riveting.
  • Jealous of all of you.
  • This is riveting.
    We're on the bus.
  • Are you playing Ribbon Drive?
  • FYI I won't be at story games seattle tonight, but I'll see you all at GPNW tomorrow.

Tourist safely!
  • I won't be at SGSeattle because I have to finish writing a game. See y'all at the big dance!
  • Okay, so my inner fan girl has finally gotten the better of me:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE ONE MORE SLEEPS!