What are the highlights of Game Chef 2013?

edited May 2013 in Stuff to Watch
Everybody seems to be well into the process of reviewing their assigned games and checking out other ones. What cool stuff have you seen?

I've enjoyed reading the under-1000 word entries. I also think Pursuit of Happiness (Word .doc) by Jackson Tegu is brilliant: a LARP-in-the-real-world about emotional detectives.

Comments

• I really liked Signal Lost by Martin Ralya, The Worlds Above and Below by Mike Sands and Uncertain Paths by Gar Hanrahan. I still have a bunch of other games to look through, though.
  • I also think Pursuit of Happiness (Word .doc) by Jackson Tegu is brilliant:
    This.
    I loved it.
  • I really liked Open the Pod Bay Door by Bryan Hansel. Looks like it will create a tense, fast game in the space-disaster (sub-?)genre.
  • The cover of Open the Pod Bay Door is beautiful and inspired.
  • Paul Hubbird's Victor really surprised me. It's a creative and interesting science fiction drama game, with an interesting an tightly focused central premise that raises some philosophical questions about the nature of self and dying and the like.
  • I really enjoyed reading The Merlin Worm. I think it's a clever little game right there. The main character is a guy getting taken over by an alien entity. I reckon that's an archetype we've seen loads before but never as a main character!
  • Of the few I've had a chance to read, Merlin Worm stood out for the glorious weirdness of the premise.
  • I really enjoyed Heart and Feather. It was interesting in a lot of ways. A 2 person RPG with a minimum cast of 5 people. It came way under the word count, but I don't think that it was lacking anything. Mechanics are simple, but for what the game is about, I can see why.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yksDBfDkkRzNDTDfjcmRphey8ErnKogA6hJujsF8tpo/edit?usp=sharing
  • A lot of the french games have a lot of wonderful looks to them.

Techniques d'interrogation à l'usage des agents de la fonction publique de la glorieuse république populaire de Strana is a great two player game.
    Bureau des Affaires Spirituelles par Vivien Feasson is also pretty hilarious with both the setting, and the confrontational mechanic that the game has.
  • I liked Victor too.

Infinite Novelty is absolutely packed with neat ideas.

Dark Cavern has the potential to hit an "emphasis on in-character experience" spot that I love.
  • (D)Evolution Terraforming, Inc. is a game of posthuman office workers for a terraforming corporation, with an absolutely stunning scene-establishment mechanic. Totally worth your while to check it out.
  • Just to linkify some of these games:

Victor (.pdf)
    Infinite Novelty (.docx)
    Black Cavern (.pdf)
    (D)Evolution Terraforming, Inc. (.pdf)
    The Merlin Worm (.pdf)
    Signal Lost (.rtf)
  • More of a personal highlight, I got four reviews that were positive and each person asked questions about expanding and embellishing the world/story. Always a good sign that I have crafted something with some appeal that people want to know more about.

Interest that is almost sure to encourage me to write a post-GC version that goes into more detail, has better layout, etc.
    --
    TAZ
  • I am not sure whether I should write this here or on the other gamechef thread.

Anyway, here is a link to the 9 finalists of the French competition. I tried to include some (roughly translated) English pitches.
    I hope it will help those interested by discovering these games.

for more info : http://www.tartofrez.com/?p=2991
  • Casual reminder that Game Chef official finalist recommendations are due now. Details.
  • So, the finalists have been announced.

As Above
    By Emily Care Boss
    Fairy tale storytelling rpg, set at the crossroads of the worlds. (3 nominations!)

CHROMA Team VS The Terrorlights
    By Daniel McKenna
    Members of the superhero/sentai group, Chroma Team, battle it out with giant kaiju monsters created by the evil Terrorlights. (3 nominations!)

Finding Haven
    By Manu Saxena
    A sci-fi rpg where V meets Logan’s Run in space. (3 nominations!)

Last Winter’s Lights

By Marc Majcher
    Tell the stories of intrigue between courtiers trapped in a snowbound castle, jostling for status as the King tries to remove the icy curse. Cards here. (3 nominations!)

The Merlin Worm
    By Josh Porter
    Mind-controlling parasites are travelling back in time through memories to destroy all humans at the source. There is one in your brain and you must not let anyone know or super soldiers from the future will murder you. (3 nominations!)

Paper Tigers
    By Ashok Desai
    It’s election time in the Cardboard Utopia, and every last sleazy, poe-faced, backstabbing politico wants a piece of the action! (4 nominations!)

Reconsolidation
    By Keith Stetson and Clarissa Baut Stetson
    Reconsolidation is a collaborative storytelling card game about navigating the corridors of memory to free a patient from the burden of a repressed traumatic memory. (3 nominations!)

Synanthropes
    By Ed Turner
    A group of scientists, the evolved descendants of rats, roaches, crows, and raccoons, comb through an old, abandoned human skyscraper. (4 nominations!)

The Posthuman Doorways
    By Jason Pitre
    A transhuman future, explore the lives of characters offered enlightenment and evolution. Are you willing to sacrifice your humanity? (3 nominations!)

The Worlds Above and Below
    By Michael Sands
    You and your friends find yourselves in strange, fantastic worlds, and the locals need you to be heroes. (3 nominations!)

All of the active links over at http://gamechef.wordpress.com/2013-finalists/
  • edited June 2013
    I was going by where it says "You will be assigned games to review and be given some brief instructions for doing so on May 30th and will have until June 7th to submit your recommendation" on the Submissions page, so I just voted now. I am still waiting for reviews from two people, who I am guessing have not voted either. I can't imagine I'm alone in that boat. It would be disappointing if the game I voted for, and my game, and everyone else who's awaiting reviews and votes, cannot be considered for finalists.
  • Also super stoked about:

image image

• I was going by where it says "You will be assigned games to review and be given some brief instructions for doing so on May 30th and will have until June 7th to submit your recommendation" on the Submissions page, so I just voted now. I am still waiting for reviews from two people, who I am guessing have not voted either. I can't imagine I'm alone in that boat. It would be disappointing if the game I voted for, and my game, and everyone else who's await reviews, cannot be considered for finalists.
    David,

I thought I had all 92 reviews in, but in fact there was a gap in my spreadsheet and I only had 91. I recognize that I'd accidentally listed two different review deadlines, but thought I'd contacted all outstanding reviews to correct the blunder.

So, now we have all recommendations in. If you've got reviews outstanding, it could be that some got lost in the mail. (I know people had issues with submitting to Wordpress blogs in particular, when asked to.)

Whisper me who you're missing reviews from, and I'll track those folks down.

Your nomination didn't bump anyone new into finalist position, but if it had I would have edited the list to reflect. Whoops and sorry!
  • edited June 2013
    Oops, never mind, then. I assumed this would be a broader issue, but I guess the late voting was just me. Thanks for counting my vote!

I have the missing reviewers' email addresses from the submissions page, so I can ask them myself. No need for you to bother.

P.S. Those badges are sweet! I'm curious, what font is that?
  • David,

The font is Dekar - download for free here.

It sat on my computer for over a year while I waited for a project that it'd mesh well with. I'd been aching to use it forever.
  • Nice! Thanks!
  • Thanks for translating the French finalists' pitches, Jerome. They sound amazing!
  • Hey Joe, just a clarification: on the finalist's page you say "nine" a couple times, but there are ten finalist games.
  • So now counting's an exact science?

Damn kids these days.