Mouse Guard story-blog

edited May 2013 in Directed Promotion
Just discovered this website, and it seemed like the perfect place to get some feedback on a project of mine. While living in Paris I'm running a Mouse Guard game as a small affair; my girlfriend and I are playing characters and I'm Storytelling, and then translating the plot as it develops into a continually updated blog, complete with photos from the actual Parisian locations where the mice go. I'm departing a bit from the source material, but so far it's coming along nicely. We just finished Chapter 1 (first session of the game) and are gearing up for another chapter soon.

http://legendsofthecity.wordpress.com/

Has anyone else tried running a game like this? Any advice-- what's missing, what could help, what you like or don't-- would be MUCH appreciated.

Comments

• Great reading! Thanks!

A GM I know who ran a game for her sisters suggested using real world objects as props to help visualize scenes and scale. With the photos you're including, it looks like you've already got that one down :)
  • This is seriously cool... thanks for sharing! Bookmarked for a moment when I have full attention.
  • Much appreciated guys. I'm loving it as a motivational writing project if nothing else.

@makrdp, I definitely feel like the photos help visualization, particularly when describing things from a mouse's perspective. I really wanted to maintain the fun, cozy "feel" of Mouse Guard through the shift into an urbanized setting. So it should still be about mice living simple lives, with animals and plants being the things they notice as opposed to cars and computers. The theme which seems to have emerged is the idea of finding the nature in a busy city. I see it everywhere I go now; humans think we control everything that happens in our civilized domain, but as the immortal Jeff Goldblum tells us, "life finds a way". It may not be a forest, but there's a whole lot of life finding a way in the city. But part of keeping that feel was that the mice should never talk about "libraries" or "apartments", since they wouldn't be able to tell them apart any more than we can tell the function of a particular mousehole. This, of course, made descriptions especially tough. So the photos were a great way to stay true to the spirit while avoiding being overly vague. Anyway, thanks!
  • I'm happy to say posting this here has gotten a LOT more interest in this project stirred up, and more importantly, interest from people who genuinely like this sort of experiment, and probably could, I hope, teach me a thing or two about their similar experiences with story-games translated into a literary medium. I've been on a roll pumping out some new content before Chapter 2 begins-- I promised myself I wouldn't get into too much worldbuilding until I had a solid plot in motion, and a photographic foundation to work from, so this had been kind of a splurge for me.

I'm getting so much out of this forum after discovering it less than a week ago, I feel like it's inevitable that I'm missing out on some other great stuff. Can anyone point me in the direction of other places where I can bounce this types of idea around?