Hey, game-in-progress "X", where you at?

edited August 2012 in Story Games
I'd like to delicately step on some toes in this thread by having us each mention a game that we're excited about that we heard about a while ago that still isn't out. If anything, maybe we can plan our purchases, help the thing along, or put it to rest.

Here's mine:
SO, Carnage Amongst the Tribes, where you at?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I have a pretty good idea already, but hey! The Sprawl! Where you at?

As for Slingtown (my Apocalypse World/Technoir hack), I have moves mostly settled, the starting playbooks written, the die mechanic nailed down, and an outline for the MC's playbook. It's been through two rounds of multi-session playtesting and a one-shot during GenCon, and it's holding up well.

Solid, barring last-minute tweaks:
    • Die mechanic
    • 12 starting playbooks
    • Moves
    • Outline for the MC's playbook
    Now it's a matter of hashing out a few more sub-systems, and fleshing out the MC playbook.
    • Gigs, a system for dynamically generating jobs/runs, when players go looking for work. I am going to steal from The Sprawl, Leverage, Blowback and Night's Black Agents SO HARD.
    • Technoir Transmission equivalents for regions in the setting, designed to hook into Gigs
    • Rackets, allowing PCs to add a 3rd playbook and become the equivalent of Technoir Connections when they have accrued all the pre-requisites. Think Risk legacy.
  • I'd love to know what happened to Violence Future.
  • Looking forward to the next incarnations of Bliss Stage and Magical Burst.
  • +1 to Bliss Stage.
  • Hell, I'm still waiting for Stranger Things.
  • I have a pretty good idea already, but hey! The Sprawl! Where you at?
    I assume you don't mean my thing I've worked on by that name, but I'm not sure. Which "The Sprawl" are you referring to?
  • Not that too much people would care but hey, spam! I'm still working on my game, adding skills, equipment, special abilities, and all kind of resources a la AW but directly in cards. Such a pity I can't totally hack AW because of the way I'm doing this game, that could had save me a lot of work...
  • +1 for Magical Burst
  • I'm going to say Tales of the Fisherman's Wife, though I know at least why it's in limbo for the moment...

But it's still an amazing game that deserves widespread printing!
    I assume you don't mean my thing I've worked on by that name, but I'm not sure. Which "The Sprawl" are you referring to?
    The Apocalypse World/William Gibson hack, by Hamish Cameron... What was yours about?

• An Apocalypse World/William Gibson hack, by me... Great minds and all that, I guess... XD
  • I want to know if Sign in Stranger is eventually going to be developed into a more polished version than the ashcan-esque print version I have.
  • Hey, Kingdom! where you at?
  • edited August 2012
    I want to know if Sign in Stranger is eventually going to be developed into a more polished version than the ashcan-esque print version I have.
    YES. I want Sign in Stranger.

Also, @Joel, I want the World on the Edge.

I want the annotated version of Sorcerer.

Hey Mark! I'm working on revisions to an alpha document this week. I hope to have it finished and on Barf Forth by the weekend, but it might be next week.

So that's where The Sprawl is at!

• +1 to Sign in Stranger, Bliss Stage, Fisherman's Wife, and Annotated Sorcerer.

RE World on the Edge, duly noted!
  • +1 to Sign in Stranger, Bliss Stage, Fisherman's Wife, and Annotated Sorcerer.

RE World on the Edge, duly noted!
  • UM, wut. That was 3 posts from one click. o_O
  • UM, wut. That was 3 posts from one click. o_O
  • Hell, I'm still waiting for Stranger Things.
    I didn't want to be the one to say that, but I'll +1 that.
  • Another +1 on Stranger Things (and 316AD as well)
  • +1 Sign In Stranger
  • A final version of My Daughter, the Queen of France?
  • A larp version of My Daughter, the Queen of France?

• Yeah, yeah, yeah. I really should get around to that!
  • I'm really wondering what happened to AD316.
  • +1 Sign in Stranger and +1 Stranger Things!
  • I'm also still waiting for Robots and Rapiers.
  • Sounds like D'Arctangent, which would have made for a good RPG. :-)
  • edited September 2012
    Whatever happened to Noblesse Oblige, the manor system for Chronica Feudalis? Besides Jeremy Keller getting paid the tall RPG dollar for working on Marvel?
  • edited September 2012
    *Ahem* Prime Time Adventures 3 *ahem*

And that one where you kill Gods.
  • *Ahem* Prime Time Adventures 3 *ahem*

And that one where you kill Gods.
    Mythender? I think it was released.
    Actually, just checked! If you backed Random Kindness Encounters you should have it. Otherwise, sometime in October.

Unless you mean a different god-killing-one.

- Alex
  • A larp version of My Daughter, the Queen of France?
    +1
  • Huh, I think I backed Mythender and I don't have it. I'll have to go make sure I actually backed it; I meant to!
  • Yeah, make MDQtoF pretty, then gimme.
  • Huh, I think I backed Mythender and I don't have it. I'll have to go make sure I actually backed it; I meant to!
    Email me if you have. But note that no one "backed Mythender" -- they funded a charity and Mythender was one of the things for it.

- Ryan

• If anything, maybe we can plan our purchases, help the thing along, or put it to rest.
    Or put undue pressure on someone who doesn't do this for a living, making them regret being or having been involved in this community.

I'm being serious.

- Ryan

• ::sigh:: Really?

I don't do this for a living, but I'd be pretty stoked to see my game in this list. I actually check it every time I see new updates hoping that maybe someone is wondering about my unfinished games. I think it's safe to assume that anyone who's put their game out there where people have heard of it and want to play it, also wants their game to be played and enjoyed by other people. Getting mentioned in a "what's up with your game in development?" thread is a compliment, not a demand.

And no, at this point, I kind of don't want you to ask about my games, because now I'd wonder if it was because you actually want to know, or because I mentioned it.
  • Looking forward to the next incarnations of Bliss Stage and Magical Burst.
    I've been pretty severely distracted by other stuff, but I have been slowly working on the next iteration of Magical Burst. The big thing I did was to expand the random chargen tables to the point where you can pretty much roll up a complete character, but there's plenty more left to do.
  • I'd like to delicately step on some toes in this thread by having us each mention a game that we're excited about that we heard about a while ago that still isn't out. If anything, maybe we can plan our purchases, help the thing along, or put it to rest.
    Somehow I totally didn't get that we were supposed to answer when our game was called out.
  • edited September 2012
    ::sigh:: Really?
    Yes, really. This is something I've heard about from many designers over the years, and experienced for myself as well.
    I don't do this for a living, but I'd be pretty stoked to see my game in this list.
    Accept that your experiences & expectations aren't universal. Nor are mine, but I have seen games in threads like these that make the designer facepalm and blatantly ignore it, making their day a little worse for this encounter.

- Ryan
  • My own experience is, "I'm delighted to hear that my game projects are remembered, to say nothing of desired!" But I did fear, when I saw the threat topic, that it would have the effect Ryan (Macklin) describes, on some people. I know from testimony like this one that said effect is a thing that happens.

In that spirit, I'd like to call out Jason Godesky's Fifth World, in the gentlest way possible. I'm comfortable doing that mostly because I know it's almost done, and I'd just like to give it a promotional signal boost.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • I'm sorry if this thread has made anyone feel worse. That wasn't my intention. I love games, and I'm excited about lots of them. I also love all you folks who frequent these forums. I only meant this as a place where we could check the statuses on things and just geek out about them in the same way that I do with friends about movies that are coming down the pipeline.

I realize that the difference is that the designers of some of the games will read this whereas when I talk about movies, the movie makers will have no clue. That is what's cool to me about a smaller hobby like this and a smaller forum like this as well.

• edited September 2012
    Please don't let this thread be derailed. I'm really enjoying it.

I'm excited about Russell Collins's Namin No Mashida and want to hear an update!
  • What about:
    Candle & Knife
    &
    Wildlings?

Good news about Sprawl, glad to hear it.
  • What about:
    Candle & Knife
    &
    Wildlings?

Good news about Sprawl, glad to hear it.
    For Candle & Knife, I believe there were some issues on the licensing side? I can't really say, though, but I do know that Vincent Baker has implied that dev has died on that one.

Sad, but at least now you've got a bit of answer.

- Alex
  • You bring up a good point though: whatever happened to The Wildlings? What a beautiful game!
  • Please don't let this thread be derailed. I'm really enjoying it.

I'm excited about Russell Collins's Namin No Mashida and want to hear an update!
    I'm enjoying the thread too, but it feels really dismissive to refer to Ryan's concerns as derailment.