Reverse advancement: from omni-everything to melodramatic mortality

edited March 2012 in Story Games
So suppose you were a GOD. So flawless and powerful, a mere capital 'G' doesn't cut it. But those very qualities that might make a mortal regard you as "perfect" are the same qualities that make you rather be a mortal, with all the melodrama and existential quandries and life that can come with mortality.

At the start of this game, you use your unlimited powers to completely recreate yourself, put limits here and drives there. This is character creation. But every instance of change affects your ability to -design- your own recreation. The more mortal you become, the less able you are to conceive of that essence of mortality that you originally aimed for.

Would designing towards this set up produce a game where a character's goals match up with the goals of fiction authorship? Or would it inevitably shift back to a forward-advancement system as the character's mortal drives overwhelm the initial set-up? Or would it instead devolve into a metagame of who can traumatize/kill their character first and worst?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    What about you start as all powerful and, as you play, you define the world and your place in it. Everytime you author something about the world, you have to give up a power. Instead of gaining powers, you write down things you can no longer do - giving them up to create things. Eventually you're a disabled hobo but it doesn't matter anymore, you're ready for the end.
  • I played a game at ACNW, with the gods being Amber Elders, a few years ago, that did both these ideas.

I somehow found it unsatisfying...but interesting. I think the main problem I had was that it devolved into jockeying, backstabbing, and power alliances.
  • Posted By: mease19What about you start as all powerful and, as you play, you define the world and your place in it. Everytime you author something about the world, you have to give up a power. Instead of gaining powers, you write down things you can no longer do - giving them up to create things. Eventually you're a disabled hobo but it doesn't matter anymore, you're ready for the end.
    I like this: what do you want to happen so much that you'd risk getting stuck being a mortal, fallible human...trapped in a world you helped make?