Little Voices - Simple Game/Spell

edited October 2011 in Story Games
Instruct the players to start whispering (you are a player).

Decide among yourselves a fictitious reason you are all whispering (you're 6 years old and built a couch fort-parents are in the other room and if they remember you, they'll remember your bedtime; your friends are trying to sleep in the back seat of the car while you chat up front; the killer is close but you have to coordinate; etc.)

Play out the situation as your character, and/or with narration and description.

The game ends when someone speaks without whispering.

Variant: Big Voices

Instead of whispering, yell. The game ends when someone talks without yelling.

Comments

• Yeah, these games are awesome, I'm going to playtest them with random people on the street or something! Seriously though, I could probably get people to do that.
  • Nice one, Bruce! I love such small games!
  • This approaches the event horizon of minimalism, I love it.
  • Posted By: Orion CanningYeah, these games are awesome, I'm going to playtest them with random people on the street or something! Seriously though, I could probably get people to do that.
    Yeah, in Olympia, you could.
  • I like it! A nice, small simple game.

I have a question though. Maybe I'm just not being super-creative, but can you provide an example scenario for the variant? It's pretty easy too think of situations where you need to whisper, but I can't think of any reasons why I can't stop yelling. Help me out?
  • edited November 2011

I have a question though. Maybe I'm just not being super-creative, but can you provide an example scenario for the variant? It's pretty easy too think of situations where you need to whisper, but I can't think of any reasons why I can't stop yelling. Help me out?

In the middle of a club, music blaring, this is the last time you'll see your friends before you leave the country.
    A building site the sound of machinery is deafening, there's been an accident, you and your co-workers better get your story straight before the foreman arrives.
    On board a pirate galleon in the middle of a storm, the Kracken breaks the surface and it looks hungry.

Toad
  • Okay, those definitely work. I like the second one a lot. Thanks, definitely helped me visualize what a game could actually look like. :)
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, Hans. But last summer at the boy scout meetup one of the counselors told us around the campfire that in Olympia no one can hear you scream. And it's always a little too quiet there...