Let's talk about Stage One!

Comments

• Holy shit, I just made a thing called roguish: a small game about dark dungeons.

I haven't playtested it, obviously, because I just made it, but if I were going to play a tabletop roguelike, I think this would be something close to the game I would want to play.
  • edited November 2011
    Mushroom Kingdom Stories

I also talked about my entry on my blog.
  • edited November 2011
    Posted By: J. WaltonPosted By: doho123"Shadow of the Colossus"
    I would give you bonus points for making a SOTC hack to run SOTC, but I don't actually think Fate is a good match for Team Ico.

Yeah, the whole skill pyramid for Colossus would be...interesting.

5: Climb
    4: Climb Grab
    3: Climb Grab Sword
    2: Climb Grab Jump Climb
    1: Climb Grab Horse-Rider RaiseSword Run

Anyway, here's what I came up with.
    Dropbox-y link to "Shadow of the Colossus" pdf

There's no way I'll have a chance to playtest it before the deadline; but I did put out a call for playtesting on boardgamegeek; I'll have to see if I can get any bites there.
  • Oh, this is so exciting!

I have no time for this!

That has never stopped me before!
  • edited November 2011
    Final version of Return to Maniac Mansion, the SCUMM Rapid Prototyping Game. And I'm nearly done working on Scrabblenauts, an RPG word game mashup.
  • I've managed to cram all of my game onto two pages, thanks to narrow margins and merciless editing. At least it's still at a 10-point font size. I've only left myself about two lines for my Stage Two instructions, though, which is... not enough. So I'm still struggling with that.

Of course, I can only hope it's intelligible enough to be playable by anyone but me....
  • Did you guys know that there's a Tetris card game? Just bought it the other day bc of Stage One. It's pretty damned unique. You have to use the tetraminos in your hand to complete the puzzles on the card backs, and the first person to complete ten lines wins.
  • Posted By: UserCloneDid you guys know that there's a Tetris card game? Just bought it the other day bc of Stage One. It's pretty damned unique. You have to use the tetraminos in your hand to complete the puzzles on the card backs, and the first person to complete ten lines wins.
    Another Tetris-inspired game is FITS. Granted, the scoring system is different (and there's no line removal), but I think it just feels a lot more line Tetris than that card game. I think because it actually does the whole "oddball shapes falling downward" thing.
  • Scrabblenauts is a game that appeared, fully formed, in my mind the first time I played Scribblenauts two years ago. Now, I actually had a reason to write it out.
  • I've been wracking my brain to come up an Oregon Trail Stage One! game. I gotta say, although I love the two-page format, it's difficult to cram everything into that space while still feeling like I'm doing justice to the source material. Either way, I'm gunna try my darndest.
  • Remember Zack, you don't have to take them all the way to Oregon, just past... the first river? Until their food runs out? Until somebody gets ill? Whatever you think Stage One is.
  • J-Walt, are there any restrictions on font size or margins? I've managed to get everything onto two pages somehow, so I just want to know if I did so legitimately.
  • Stage one of Oregon Trail should be called (and end with) "You have died of dysentery."
  • Mike: I really don't want to be dictating stuff like that. My thought is basically: you're making this for an audience, who wants it to be usable to them. Try playtesting it or playing through it on your own and see what people actually use in play and what they don't. Ruthlessly cut anything that's not used. That's what we're going to do with the invited games anyway.
  • edited November 2011
    Jonathan, if you're game to talk about this, I'm curious: what are your criteria for whether games get invited or not?

EDIT: I guess you kinda said in the blog post--it looks like it depends on how playtest goes. But it's still vague (which is fine! It's your invitational). I'm just curious.
  • I think my Angry Birds entry will not make the deadline. I like the idea, but balance is terrible (I'm oh, so bad at math in general) and I don't have time to fix it. I forgot NaNoWriMo was this month and I'm catching up to my projected word count currently. I really like some of the entries so far!
  • edited November 2011
    man, it's an alpha. What can it hurt to submit? Even if you don't get picked, you can go back & look at it later. Finish it! In my experience, It's so much easier to pick up a full draft (however ugly) and revise it than to write one from scratch, or continue old writing.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oIt'ssomuch easier to pick up a full draft
    Word to this.

Erik Battle, I am jonesing for your hilariously unweildy AB analog draft.
    Make it for me, make it for future you.

And work on your novel.
  • Just did a crapload of editing on Resident Evil+. The previous link is still valid (merely replaced what PDF would be downloaded), but reposting the link here anyway.

I didn't particularly like the "Here's what you can buy with your Hits" thing I did in the previous version, so I went with the No/Yes, but.../Yes/Yes, and... method, with a bit of mechanical effect squeezed in there.
    Also took out the whole clunky post-it note map thing. Don't know what the hell was wrong with me when I thought that was a good idea.

I'm kinda happy with the result...even though it meant staying late at work and missing the first two buses home. Oh well...
  • Posted By: Hans c-owhat are your criteria for whether games get invited or not?
    I have no idea yet, partially because I don't really know how long the booklet will be or what the submitted games will look like. We'll see!

P.S. Games are due sometime Sunday, so turn them in!
  • I think...I think Orion Canning has created the best JRPG to tabletop-game conversion ever, ever, in 2 pages. I want to play it more than my own entry.

DRAGON AND WARRIOR

You are a warrior, you live in a castle, you don't have things figured out, you don't have a plan, and the world outside the castle is a big, ugly, scary place full of monsters, but you know you have to kill the Dragonlord. The idea that you will go up in levels as you gain experience is totally awesome and kind of motivating. You are curious and hopeful, and you have some friends with good stuff. Though these friendships are relatively new and uncertain, you are pretty sure you can walk into their houses and take their stuff without them minding, even if it is the most valuable thing they have.

Without having played it, I think it captures so much of what I love(d) about these games.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oI think...I think Orion Canning has created the best JRPG to tabletop-game conversion ever, ever, in 2 pages. I want to play it more than my own entry.
    "Sex: Man." Ha!
  • Posted By: Hans c-oI think...I think Orion Canning has created the best JRPG to tabletop-game conversion ever, ever, in 2 pages. I want to play it more than my own entry.
    Without having played it, I think it capturesso muchof what I love(d) about these games.
    Hey Hans,
    Maybe that's something we should try out at GoPlay PDX North? This is the only one of the other entries I've had a chance to look at, albeit briefly, other than what I've been working on, and I am also of the opinion that it captures the feel of the old Dragon Warrior game, allowing for a solo adventurer, and yet having roles for four people, which is pretty cool.
    I'll probably be reading quite a few mini games over the next couple of days. Most seem pretty interesting.
  • edited November 2011
    Wasn't planning on coming, but now I totally will!

EDIT: unwhispered because I think Orion et. al. would want to know that we're playing Dragon & Warrior next Sunday.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oWasn't planning on coming, but now I totally will!
    AWESOME!
    And I'll bring copies of the various projects I've been working on, too.
  • Sorry folks, I'm probably talking about Dragon and Warrior way too much, but I realized the reason that it gets me so excited, my heart pumping so fast:

It hits, in theory (again, haven't played it yet), so close to what I thought TTRPGs were back before I played them and was still enamored with JRPGs. What propelled me into the hobby was thinking that D&D was like Dragon and Warrior.
  • edited November 2011
    Actually going back and playing Goldeneye 007 tonight was a real eye-opener. I realized I'd gotten so used to playing with cheats that I'd forgotten what the baseline's really like. So that changed things quite a bit. (For example, I honestly thought there was a grenade launcher in the Facility....)

Anyway, after a number of last-minute alterations, here's Half of Everything Is Luck. You will need some dice.
  • I could definitely see a game for this where "Stage One" is entering the proper cheat codes before you start play. Contra, perhaps.
  • edited November 2011
    A list of the submitted games is posted. Please get any remaining games in by tomorrow morning!
    http://thouandone.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/stage-one-the-games/
  • Really wanted to get mine done, but it won't happen for this compo. Lost power most of the weekend due to flooding in Bangkok. I'll still complete and post it here though, for what it's worth.
  • That's cool, Erik. I didn't finish mine either, actually, so maybe we can try to compile and play a bunch of the later ones at some point.
  • edited November 2011
    Dunno if I'm still in time, but here it is Paperboy Unleashed. I'd really like to publish it in a diagonal format to evoke the isometric view of the original game.
  • Paperboy, yes! Not too late.

This contest is fucking awesome, and a lot of the games are exciting. I only wish someone had done Mega Man a la the Protomen!
  • Posted By: L.Trenti MrVALISDunno if I'm still in time, but here it isPaperboy Unleashed. I'd really like to publish it in a diagonal format to evoke the isometric view of the original game.
    I was wondering if someone would do Paperboy....

No Frogger, I notice.
  • I've updated the game list again, after getting up this morning. I'll still accept any others that trickle in during the next little bit. I know Shreyas was working on a Minecraft game, but I don't know if he's seen the end of the tunnel or not. I made some good progress on stage one of Super Farmhand, my Zelda-inspired game, but I'll have to post that later. Maybe it'll be done by the time I'm done reviewing.

All these games look terrific and exciting folks. Some of them I want to play right now. I'll try to send out comments and invitations as soon as I can. I'll aim for at least one review a day, to try to put myself on track to finish in a reasonable time. In the meantime, let us know if any of these get played and how they went! Don't wait for me!

There may be too many good games here for a single booklet-sized anthology, but that's a good problem to have. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it, if enough people accept invitations and are excited about publishing these collectively.
  • Wait! Here's a quick entry for me before I head to work.

All Cosmos
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: L.Trenti MrVALIS</cite>Dunno if I'm still in time, but here it is<a href="http://www.valis.it/?p=207">Paperboy Unleashed</a>. I'd really like to publish it in a diagonal format to evoke the isometric view of the original game.</blockquote>

Edited some typo in the pdf.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonWait! Here's a quick entry for me before I head to work.

All Cosmos
    Nah nah...

Seems like fun! That massive table should be pretty easy to write, as well.
  • Just read through a few of these at work today, and have my wish-list of ones I want to play NOW:

1. Dragon & Warrior
    2. A Few More Heroes
    3. Mythic Adventures (a.k.a. Naughty Duck's Dream Adventure) (...which, I must say "Arg! Beaten to the punch AGAIN!!!" because I had wanted to do a DuckTales game for a while now)
    4. Return to Maniac Mansion

...of course, I want to play my own game, too, but man, there are some really interesting things here.

(and now I'm downloading a crap-ton of Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest sprites to use in play aids for Dragon & Warrior...)
  • edited November 2011
    Hey, so I've started the review process (going to aim for 1 review per day), and began by reviewing my own game to show what I'm planning on doing and the kinds of concerns I'm likely to have about games, looking towards publication in the short, booklet-sized anthology.

After that, I'm planning on reviewing the rest in submission order, and have updated the submitted games page to include hyperlinks, making it easier to download stuff.
  • P.S. I just wanted to say that I hope people who didn't end up submitting (like the original poster of this thread) will continue to work on your games! Some of them sounded super great and I hope you post about them here (in this thread, on SG) or elsewhere when you have something semi-playable. Contests are just as good at getting the wheels turning as they are getting you to finish something in a short window. And, hey, these games were so good that I'm liable to run this same event again, and you'll already have half a game finished!
  • edited November 2011
    Posted By: J. WaltonHey, so I've started the review process (going to aim for 1 review per day), and began byreviewing my own gameto show what I'm planning on doing and the kinds of concerns I'm likely to have about games, looking towards publication in the short, booklet-sized anthology.
    You know what would help All Cosmos? Skip Stage One and go straight to the cow, bear or Cowbear level. All your black dice are cows (or whatever color). Your goal is to collect the biggest cow you can (that black d20 is mighty tempting) but you can only collect a single cow per game. So you have to avoid accidentally rolling into another black die while trying to get bigger. All the frustration and 'fun' of the cow/bear levels, but now as a multiplayer tabletop game.
  • ...I must have too much time on my hands. In anticipation of getting a chance to try out Dragon & Warrior this coming Sunday at GoPlay PDX North, I've made a whole bunch of monster cards so players can write in stats, without having to worry about drawing anything. All images were sourced via The Spriters Resource (mixed up monsters from Dragon Warrior and backgrounds from Final Fantasy).
    Now I just gotta make some reference cards and a Hero card, and I'm all set to play!
  • Michael, I hope for our sakes that you never get another job.

Also, Orion: you digging this shit? I hope you're seeing this.
  • edited November 2011
    And here's an image of the reference cards.
    This time around, I figured it was better if I didn't take a camera-phone pic of the cards, since that glare is terrible.
  • I did a of Dragon Warrior and Jackson Tegu's game, Silver and White, called Dragon and Warrior. I'm really interested to see how it stacks up against Gauntlet and Roguelike.

Also I played the James Bond Goldeneye 007 game "Half of Everything is Luck last night" since it was a solitaire game. It was fun and nostalgic, despite not having much story.
  • Posted By: Orion CanningAlso I played the James Bond Goldeneye 007 game "Half of Everything is Luck last night" since it was a solitaire game. It was fun and nostalgic, despite not having much story.
    Hey, sweet! Yeah, story isn't really a prominent factor in that game -- it's all about sniping your way along the dam. The first inkling of "story" in the game doesn't happen until the end of Facility anyway, but to make that interaction meaningful I'd probably have to move away from the solitaire aspect of it.
  • Orion: Dude, as far as I'm concerned, I haven't been this jazzed about a rules-lite console RPG emulator in a long, long time. Of course, to be fair, I'm a major fan of the Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest game series. More so than Final Fantasy. Dragon & Warrior just hit the right spots.

And now I'll have to check out Silver and White...
  • Mike: it did a good job of capturing the goldeneye feel, especially in regards to trying to beat those pesky challenges. It would be cool to see some of the other challenges put in place, like needing a certain amount of accuracy or or taking a limited amount of hits, though there's already a lot to keep track of in the game and accuracy might be kind of a pain to track. Some thoughts about the game: when I got to the last section, the dam, I only rolled 1 level one bad guy and all the rest were crates and ammo. That ended up feeling pretty anticlimactic. What if you set the amount of bad guys in each part of the map and the player rolled dice until he got that many? It could also help keep the balance in the difficulty of a map against the time limit.

Also, again there's a lot to keep track of and some way of simplifying the book-keeping would be nice. At the same time, those bookkeeping bits feel straight from the game, it's just that the game keeps track of them automatically for you. I'm tempted to run the game for someone else and control all the enemies and do all the book-keeping for them, just to streamline their experience and make it feel a little more like the video game. What if you made a countdown track or grid of numbers that the player could slide a counter around on to keep track of ticks and ammo?
  • @stupidgremlin: Thanks man, I hope you play it and let me know how it goes. I don't know where you can get silver and white (i'll ask jackson) but it has four different explain cards that give narrative control over different aspects of the story to different players, which then get passed around, so that's the main thing I took from that game. The big difference in my game is that one of the cards is also control over the only protaganist of the game. I got to playtest the game on tuesday with jackson, robert, and my brother sean, and it was a lot of fun. We encountered some problems though. First off we were having too much fun roleplaying and setting scenes in the town and we didn't leave to kill monsters for the first two hours, which left the first monster player hanging and making monsters for too long. So in the new rules I'm creating a scene economy that limits the scenes you can do in town, forcing you to go to new areas and complete quests to get more scenes. That should also mirror the way you need to complete quests in videogames to progress the plot. I've also attempted to create more opportunities for the explain cards to switch around, and I'm writing in more guidelines for keeping the game balanced. Anyways, I'm glad you like it. I'm excited to play all the other stage 1 games too!