[Nerdly Beach Party 8] How did it go?

What did you play? Was there monsters?

Comments

• There were monsters! They got Colin's bacon and my sausages! For real! Out of our coolers!

Jesse
  • edited September 2011
    OMG monsters! Fiction and reality blur like a Rona Jaffe novel! Did you all freak out? Did anybody die? Did you swear the group to secrecy?

Did it all go too far?
  • They came like thieves in the night! At first we assumed a traitor among the group. Tension was high. But then we found incriminating evidence implicating outsiders and we doubled our vigilance.

Jesse
  • It was good!

We had 23 people this time, spread over four campsites. As far as games played, there was (to my recollection) Escape From The Aliens of Outer Space, Dungeon World, Fiasco, Wild Talents, Blowback, Sorcerer, Dungeon World, Marksmanship & Coitus, a ghost story game Jesse Burneko's playtesting, Fiasco, Dungeon World, Hellcats & Hockeysticks, Smallville, 3:16, Don't Rest Your Head, some horror game I accidentally started making, and Dungeon World. And the annual Ryan Macklin Drunken Game, which this time was "Apotheosis."

We had a lot of bacon! Some of it stolen by monsters. :(

It was a tremendous time. I'm sad that I will likely not be at another one, but I've been to all eight so far, and I can't complain about that.

I talk a bit about my Dungeon World experiences.

Hamish talks about his Nerdly Gaming Experience (and foodie experience)

I rather enjoyed the games I got to play in, but the Sorcerer & Sword game with Paul Tevis & I playing a duo and Jesse Burneko running it was pure majesty.

- Ryan
  • It was awesome and prob my favorite one out of the 4 I have been too! I ran 2 Dungeon World games and then played Apotheosis (learned that the bold always die first), 3:16, Haunted (the Jesse ghost playtest) and Dungeon World.

There were so many good times, great people, food and booze.

I regretted returning to civilization when it was all over.

- Colin
  • Hanging out with people who want to share their great taste in alcohol is awesome.
  • Ryan has already linked to my con report, but TL;DR version: SO GOOOOOD!

Except for that Garret guy who came all the way from Minnesota to stalk me... I had to run him out of town so I could play a game without him!

:D

(Do you have a blog, Garret?)
  • Things went very well indeed.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I arrived later than I would have preferred on Friday. In fact, I arrived just in time to be hit by the brief storm that blew over head!

I was nervous that I was going to be so rattled from the late arrival/long drive that it would affect the Sorcerer game. Fortunately, we took a nice leisurely pace to character creation and that gave me time to focus in on the key elements. We created a nice tight little Sorcerer & Sword tale. The game started as a special request to specifically play Sorcerer with Ryan. That request was further refined by specifically wanting to do something in the Fafhrd and Mouser vein. So we came up with a unique spin on that focusing largely on a frozen northern port city. Ryan was a warrior for the deserts of the south and Paul was an ousted leader of the priest's guild. Probably my only regret was that Ryan was doing a lot things with his demonic sword(s). At a certain point I started thinking, "Man, that demon should go into Need soon." The problem was I couldn't think of a cool way to introduce that into the fiction that wasn't just, "And now your sword stops working." (That's sometimes appropriate, it wasn't here). So unfortunately the independent agency of BOTH the demons in play was a little lost, but that sometimes happens in a short game.

On Saturday morning I recruited a few people to help me play test my game Haunted that I wrote for the Ronnies. And hey it actually worked! Structurally the game is sound, but the mechanics need a bit of work. The tension dynamics aren't right. The Ghost doesn't have as much power over the Murderer as I want and the cops are closing in timing element was non-existent. Colin had a really good suggestion on how to fix the Ghost/Murderer dynamic problem that I will put into a new draft immediately. I'm still not sure on how to fix the cop problem and am considering removing it entirely. Our story was very much a Fiasco game with a Ghost. Colin was a drug runner who killed his corrupt cop partner over a stash of drugs that had gone missing. Much blood was spilled. I like this setup because it was very much NOT what I had in mind when I wrote the game. All the rules were written for a context where violence and other outlaw behavior was not particularly common. So this game revealed a lot of flaws in my thinking and places I need to "loosen" up the rules to accommodate a broader set of circumstances. For example, I had always envisioned Police Scenes to be calm, psychological affairs where the police casually drop by your house or ask you to come in to just answer a few routine questions. In this case, I rolled a police scene right after a major shoot out with the Murderer having been wounded and being rushed to the hospital by the local priest. Not AT ALL the context I imagined police scenes occurring in.

Saturday afternoon I played Dungeon World with Colin GMing. It definitely delivered on the exploration and lore front of D&D but man when I play D&D I do like my maps and minis. The battles while evocative and interesting felt too "story gamey" to me. Particularly the battle with the Beholder. When fighting a Beholder, I like knowing exactly where its eyes are pointed and knowing that where I'm standing which 3 beams can hit me and where I need to move to increase my chances of survival and then watching the GM roll a fist full of d20s knowing exactly which one represents the disintegration ray. Another element I had a problem with was the antagonistic Bonds. I was playing the thief and did not like having to say that I had stolen something from one of my party members nor that I was running a con with another one. The whole game felt like, "Hey here's all the cool fun bits you remember from playing D&D" and then the Bonds felt like, "And hey, there's that thing that always ruined that fun and made you have to scrap each campaign and start over every couple of months."

Saturday evening I ran Don't Rest Your Head. That session was best described as Jacob's Ladder as written by Neil Gaiman. I really, really want to play a slower paced, multi-session, more grounded Don't Rest Your Head game sometime. I'm worrying that I'm developing habits and techniques from the speedy one-shot play that will upset that.

Sunday was day of eating, packing, napping and just generally chilling. A group of us stopped at Hollister's Brewery on the way back to L.A. for good food and good company.

Jesse
  • Posted By: JesseProbably my only regret was that Ryan was doing a lot things with his demonic sword(s). At a certain point I started thinking, "Man, that demon should go into Need soon." The problem was I couldn't think of a cool way to introduce that into the fiction that wasn't just, "And now your sword stops working." (That's sometimes appropriate, it wasn't here). So unfortunately the independent agency of BOTH the demons in play was a little lost, but that sometimes happens in a short game.
    To be fair, it did set up Hakim to be seen as a badass. So I would hope (or just say as a kicker) that the next story starts with his swords failing on him -- either to start or during a pivotal moment early on. Which is to say: that session was a great platform off which to tilt. And I look forward to tilting it in the future.

- Ryan
  • I'm still writing up my full con report but the short form is:

Fri night: Blowback, a great introduction to the game that worked well but could have used more Civilians

Sat morning: playing card games with my son and Justin

Sat afternoon: a terrific session of Hellcats & Hockeysticks, one of my favorite among recent games

Sat evening: I switched last-minute to try out Dungeon World, which was neat. It hasn't converted me over to that style/genre of play, but it helped me ponder different features of it.