[Do] The Journal

edited September 2011 in Play Advice
So, I played Do: Pilgrims of the Flying temple for the first time on Thursday and later again on Saturday.
The first time, the Journal seemed to enhance play.
The second time, the Journal seemed to be more of a distraction.
One thing I noticed was that on the first go, we didn't touch the journal until we role played out what we were planning on writing. The next time I played, we did the journal part willy-nilly. Including before and after the role play.
I checked the rules and there are no clear guidelines on this. I am trying to figure out if one group gelled better than the other or the Journal is a distraction or..?
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Comments

• When I played, writing the Journal was the game, IIRC.
  • Ideally, the journal forces you to slow down enough to keep a sense of cohesion, and to recall what last happened to your pilgrim so you can build on that.

It was mentioned on another site that having someone other than the turn-taker write the sentence down is very helpful. Something that I don't think was discovered until after publication.
    Posted By: DInDenverwe didn't touch the journal until we role played out what we were planning on writing
    There could be the problem. If your group wants to play a role-playing game, Daniel's games that focus on story-writing may not be that group's cup of tea in that moment.

- Ryan
  • Posted By: masqueradeballWhen I played, writing the Journal was the game, IIRC.
    Yeah, I thought that writing in the journal WAS the game. There's role-playing in it? Really? Where? I mean, I can just role-playing stuff around the edges of the game, but that didn't seem to be what the game was, from my reading of it.