Game Chef 2010: Sept 11th-19th

123457»

Comments

• Posted By: Tamara P.I've said this on the Forge, but just in case...

Jonathan Lavallee (author of "Over The Wall" this year) has read all the Game Chef entries and posted a short review for each one on hisblog.
    I take it he hated Avatar. :)
  • You're right. I hated Avatar, or as it was otherwise known as "Dances with Wolves with Blue People."
  • I've posted the next 5. I have more done but I need to re-read them again before posting and didn't want to make everyone wait.

Still on track to have all the reviews done by Halloween, I hope. US soccer playoffs happen in Nov too, so it'll be good timing :)
  • Hi Jonathan,

Your comments are very useful. I am just reading Simon's NPC generator now. Very sweet. It's opened up a whole new direction of thought.

Thanks so much for your work on this. Next year I'd like to help.

Sebastian.

Incidentally, I've written a second draft (with much improved structure) of Chronicles of Skin (available from the same download space), for anybody who likes to keep up with this sort of thing. Or you can get theold version here.
  • Posted the next five. Got more on their way. Should be at least past the halfway mark by the end of this weekend.
  • edited October 2010
    There's a lot of games in the GameChef. I'll never read them all.

The comments by Walton, however, are a real treat. I read them, not only to find what games I will read, eventually, but also to enjoy the intelligent dissection of games.

Bravo, Jonathan! And thanks!
  • Between Halloween and the MLS playoffs, I got significantly less done than I thought, but I just posted five more long reviews as well as my concrete, day-by-day plan to get my portion of the judging wrapped up by next weekend. All that is right here.

2010 Game Chef Playoffs will start on Sunday, Nov 7th and we can probably go ahead and say that anything you play that weekend counts as far as the playoffs are concerned. I'll try to post the official playoff rules in the middle of this week, perhaps on Thursday, which is typically my day off.
  • Posted the five I assigned myself for today, so we're up to #35.
  • Posted another 5, up to #40. I'm behind a day, schedule-wise, but I was taking Friday off before, so I still have time to catch up.
  • Well done Jonathan. You're doing a fantastic job.
  • Again, your reviews make for such good reading.
  • Thanks for the support. It helps when I'm trying to get through the rest of these.

In case folks are interested, Dave M responded to my feedback with questions about how he could make his game better, so I offered to help him workshop the resolution mechanics (at the very least) over on Praxis. Right now, we're just at the early stages, digging into the mechanics trying to find where the actual resolution happens, but it should be really interesting and hopefully helpful for other folks to watch. Everything that we're doing, folks should be able to do with their own games -- stripping away everything and then building your mechanics back up -- which is really helpful to do when you're trying to go from an alpha draft to something that you're going to playtest extensively (a beta draft, basically).

The workshop is happening over here.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonEverything that we're doing, folks should be able to do with their own games -- stripping away everything and then building your mechanics back up ...
    Ja! It is essential to keep an open mind when doing this, and be ready to slaughter whatever darlings you find in your game, that threatens the completeness or dynamics of the game. It can be a hard process, even for an experienced game-smith.
  • Wow, i've always pictured the act of killing darlings as being a very emotional, ritualistic process. Both you and the darling know what must be done, though neither of you are happy about it.

Now, i picture Tomas with two axes, whirling around a room thick with darlings, standing-room-only, painting the curtains red and making the floors slick to stand on.

Slaughtering darlings, indeed! Either you love more things than i do, Tomas, or you're just that much faster to see how they don't serve you. Ha!
  • edited November 2010
    I'm quite intent on serving the game, not myself, in the design-process. So; gimme that axe!

I picture Jackson having a crying fit, talking to his imagined friends, the darlings, begging them to let him kill them ... softly of course ... maybe with a pillow?
  • Hey, Jonathan, thanks for the helpful review and for making my game a finalist.

I've updated to with suggestions and replaced the file, so anyone that downloads will have the latest version. I think "Take a Stand" is clearer now.
  • I'm interested to know how many people have updated their game since they submitted their first draft. This will become important when I'm deciding which games to download before the play-offs.
  • I'll be continuing to update my game after Jonathan reviews it, and will post a revision soon.
  • I posted a revised version sometime ago, but the message doesn't appear to be on the list yet. Oh well, it's here anyway
  • edited November 2010
    I've worked on "Man-of-Letters, Man-of-War" quite a bit since the original draft. No idea if it will be a finalist. [Finalist!] However the most recent updated version of it can always be found at this link: Man-of-Letters, Man-of-War. ;)
  • Up to #46. Going to try to power through the rest by Monday.
  • Jonathan, thanks for the additional food for thought and thorough review.
  • I've been slowly updating my game, Pilgrim, slowly, but fairly regularly since the submitting it. Gonna be ready to playtest soon.
  • Playoff rules are up here, including guidelines for submitting updates. More reviews to follow tonight, with maybe the final few trickling in tomorrow.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonPlayoff rules areup here, including guidelines for submitting updates. More reviews to follow tonight, with maybe the final few trickling in tomorrow.
    I don't see this page linked on the main website, anywhere. Maybe putting it up there is crucial?
  • I updated Longshot once after submission.

It might be time for me to do another pass through, seeing if I can improve the game any further. (If you have any feedback on the game, let me know.)
  • Joe, that'll all happen later tonight, when I'm not at school or work :)
  • Ye-haw! Playoffs, here we come!
  • I've tried posting up the link to my game and website on the Play-Offs list on two consecutive days, but nothing has appeared yet. Are we waiting until everyone has posted before they appear or am I having a technical fault and should try again?
  • No, the fault is me being swamped and unable to get to Game Chef stuff. Let me check the comments that are awaiting moderation...
  • James, your posts got eaten by my spam filter for some reason. You should be good now.
  • Thanks, that's excellent. I really should have learend how to use the interweb before launching a website; luckily, all my friends work in IT!
  • Double King, I just re-read my review of your game and thought it sounded much more negative than I intended. I think your game has an exciting premise and lot of real promise, so I was mostly focusing on what I thought worked less well in an effort to help you make it even better. Sorry if that came off in a less-than-supportive fashion. I think your game kicks ass.

Now up to #52! Going to try to get through the final 7 today and post full Playoff guidelines tonight. Hopefully those will answer any questions.
  • Well done Jonathan. You`re at the final hurdle. It is a tremendous of work that you have achieved. Just a little more and you`ll be free of the task. Congratulations.
  • Down to just #57 and #58. Will do those tomorrow and post expanded Playoff Guidelines. Yay!
  • I was expecting something much worse than what you said Jonathan, thank you for the encouraging words! And thank you for slogging through all of these games for us.
  • Posted By: TomasHVMI picture Jackson having a crying fit, talking to his imagined friends, the darlings, begging them to let him kill them ... softly of course ... maybe with a pillow?
    This exchange between Jackson and Tomas prompted a role-playing poem.
  • Posted By: MatthijsThis exchange between Jackson and Tomas prompted arole-playing poem.
    Sounds really cool!

Opening text of the role-playing poem Matthijs is talking about:
    Good night, darlings
    - Matthijs Holter

This is a game for two or more players in a space with boundaries – a room with doors, a circle on the floor or similar. One player is a creative person – game designer, writer, film maker, composer, whatever; pick something that all players can understand or relate to. The others are darlings – parts of the creator’s latest work – parts that she really liked, even loved, but that she now sees have to go. There should probably be at least three darlings.
    I really like it! Try it out, folks!
  • edited November 2010
    And by the way: Please play my game in the finals! I really want to have it played! And to have some comments on it too, would be great!

Here are The Playoff Rules (where you tell the judge you've played my game).

And my game is here: Edge City.

EDGE CITY

In this fun-serious game you play the citizens of a modern city on the edge of a flat world. You are the chosen ones to go beyond The Edge, in a daring scientific expedition. You will brave the void in a capsule suspended in a wire, and explore the dark cliffs beneath your home city.

And there, in the deep hollows, you find a slightly disturbing mirror of the characters own life …
  • Posted By: J. WaltonIn Your Own Skin - like a lot of experiments, I think this one overstepped a little and needs to be rethought in some places before it goes through extensive external playtesting. It does seem ready for some initial alpha testing with groups of local players, though
    Good call. I did that last night and already have some key changes to make it more focused.

You made an interesting point about thematic "show, don't tell" in game currencies. I'd like to discuss that more in Praxis if you're game.
  • Jonathan
    Thanks so much for the effort you've put in to all this. Your feedback is super-useful and invigorating, and I think it will have a tangible impact on how (and whether, though I'm hoping so) my game progresses. You're doing stellar work.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonDouble King, I just re-read my review of your game and thought it sounded much more negative than I intended. I think your game has an exciting premise and lot of real promise, so I was mostly focusing on what I thought worked less well in an effort to help you make it even better. Sorry if that came off in a less-than-supportive fashion. I think your game kicks ass.
    I didn't take away "less-than-supportive". It looked to me like you gave it a solid read, which is what we all need at this stage. The more eyes on the document the better. Some of your comments swing the game in a different direction and some amuse and confound me. Thanks for the feedback. Great to have that stuff to chew on!
  • yay, Matthijs! That's so fun!
  • Reviews done. Boo-yeah. Compiling lists of Finalists now and I'll start a new thread about the Playoffs.
  • Well that was a surprise. ^_^

There's something to be said for being last.
  • Hey, neat. Someone playtested my game. Does anyone know how I could get in contact with Mr. Jon Cole to ask how it went?

(I'm asking here because Mr. Walton asked not to clutter up the Playoff rules comments. Which in this case makes it harder to find out how the game went.)
  • edited November 2010
    Boo-yeah.
    WELL DONE, and thanks so much.

Also, in relation to Nick's question in the playoff section:
    Playoff question: Actual play that happened prior to November 5th still counts, correct? The rules are unclear on that.
    I guess that the answer is?
    At the end of the 2010 Game Chef Playoffs — which run from Nov 5 to Dec 5