Gencon 2010

Comments

• I'm planning to spend some more time at GoD, meself. I'll mostly be concentrating on Design Matters games, to be honest, but on the bright side they're wicked good! Also, I've been having an email convo with some folks about playing The Mountain Witch with Annalise. So that might happen sometime over the weekend.

Also, maybe a playtest of a thing. We'll see.

Looking forwards to it! What what!
  • So altogether, which indie-game-oriented vendor booths and events are taking place at Gen Con this year? Here's what I see:

Indie Press Revolution and Evil Hat sharing a booth in the back (#2339)
    Adept Press and Burning Wheel in neighboring booths (#1730 and 1732)
    Design Matters at the front of the hall (#2100)

All of the Indie Games Explosion events (including Games on Demand) are taking place in the Crown Plaza grand ballroom, which despite it's distance from the vendor hall, looks pretty spectacular.

What did I miss?
  • Posted By: Steve SegedySo altogether, which indie-game-oriented vendor booths and events are taking place at Gen Con this year? Here's what I see:

Indie Press Revolution and Evil Hat sharing a booth in the back (#2339)
    Adept Press and Burning Wheel in neighboring booths (#1730 and 1732)
    Design Matters at the front of the hall (#2100)

Burning Wheel is in #1734 and #1732. Part of that area will be devoted to FreeMarket.
  • lumpley games is sharing with Adept Press in #1730.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm kinda iffy on the Gaming at Embassy Suites at Night thing.

It's a great central spot to meet up with friends and talk.

However, it's huge and "echo-y", which means you need to talk louder to be heard.

In the end, my voice is usually shot after running a game at the Suites open area, moreso than even in hallway gaming tables (Games on Demand) and other places with more softer acoustics.

I might end up swinging by a few times, especially to get games together, but I'd probably recommend (for folks I'm gaming with anyway) to pick up and take the game somewhere else: Hotel rooms, etc. Quieter places not so hard on the pipes...

-Andy
  • I'm at Pelgrane Press at #2021, with A Taste For Murder.
  • SO, just so I get it....

Games On Demand will happen at the Crowne Plaza Ballroom. I can offer to run games here, or pick up a game! There will be a list of games that I can sign up for and contact info of other people here I can hook up with for epic win awesome Saturday gaming! Right? Reassure me!
  • Games on Demand will be running from 10am - 6pm on Friday and Saturday, in Crowne Plaza. I believe we have tables 1-6, and there should be other tables of scheduled indie games happening around us. Ideally, someone will be there to greet and coordinate folks getting into games with other folks, and there will be a flexible number of GMs/facilitators on hand making games happen. I don't think there are specific sign-ups, just arranged pick-up games.

One problem with the Gen Con scheduling is that theoretically games happen in four hour blocks (10-2, 2-6), and folks have complained in the past about arriving in the middle to find that everyone is already in a game. Hopefully some of those games will run shorter than four hours, so there will be some overlap.

I'd say if you show up and no one openly greets you, don't be shy about poking your nose into a game and asking for some directions.
  • Awesome! Thanks Steve.
  • I understand that somebody (Eero?) put together a handout map of indie locations last year- was that useful?
  • It looks like the Crown Plaza Ballroom is also the location for a lot of the Indie Games Explosion games as well as being the Games On Demand room. I'm going to be there running my Dresden Files games in the afternoons. If anyone wants to talk to me about playing some off book Dresden Files games they can talk to me there or head over to the Embassy Suites lobby in the evenings where I'm planing to hang out my DF/Fate GM shingle.
  • I have two suites at the Embassy Suites. I'd be glad to pick up a game and play or run it upstairs.
  • Steve: YES! It was awesomely helpful. If someone put one of those together again this year, that would rock.

(Incidentally, if anyone knows anyone still looking for a room, there's a spot in the room I'm in. We'd welcome one more person to bring down the cost.)
  • Yes. An 'Indie Map' would be very helpful. If not, then a list of all the cool stuff we can point out to people on the provided maps...
  • I know for sure that volunteers will be running Happy Birthday, Robot! at Games On-Demand. Still settling on details, though.
  • I'm going to try to run Maschine Zeit in Games On-Demand, between my various panels. I'd love to set something up with people so inclined. If you haven't had the chance, my Design an RPG in an Hour workshop is always a blast. We basically design a story game from the ground up, touching on basic resolution mechanics and all the major challenges in the design process.
  • Posted By: DanielSolisI know for sure that volunteers will be running Happy Birthday, Robot! at Games On-Demand. Still settling on details, though.
    Yep, I will be doing that, for sure. I'll probably be spending a good deal of time in GoD playing and running anything else, too, and we're staying at the Embassy, so nights belong to that, for the most part. Super duper looking forward to this year - so much awesomeness to try to squeeze in!
  • GoD is in the Crowne Plaza, we're running games in Hyatt Theory... I'm a little confused.

The only games I went to last year were all in the Omni. But this is only my second year going. Is table-top gaming usually this spread out?

Where else are you all running (scheduled) games?

Also, yes, let's hit some Mountain Witch/Annalise. When and where? I'm free sporadically throughout, but most reliably
    "after-hours."
  • When do people usually start to gather at Embassy Suites in the evening?
  • Posted By: HarlequinIs table-top gaming usually this spread out?
    I think Gen Con tends to put groups of similar game events together, so everything that was registered under the "Indie Games Explosion" group label (including Games on Demand) should be together in the Crown Plaza. But yes, generally things are pretty spread out.
    Posted By: lantern314When do people usually start to gather at Embassy Suites in the evening?
    The vendor hall closes at around 6pm, and people seem to wander in to the Embassy lobby gradually after they get dinner, or after they've gone to other events (awards ceremonies, etc.). So maybe 7 or 8pm?

It's worth noting that the action at the Embassy isn't organized in any way, and as Andy said above, it's a pretty noisy, crowded space. It' s also not a great place to go and try to get into games unless you know some people or have pre-existing plans. My general advice is to go the vendor booths and Games on Demand during the day and meet folks first.
  • Posted By: Steve SegedyMy general advice is to go the vendor booths and Games on Demand during the day and meet folks first.
    You can also loosely arrange stuff. Like grab Marc Majcher and say "You, me, Embassy at 8. We'll round up two more and play Bunnies and Burrows." It helps to have a plan, even a half-assed plan.
  • edited July 2010
    Will there be any structure at all to GoD?

Last year there were occasional difficulties in figuring out good times to show up. Any chance we can at least get a rough time frame of when game sessions might start (even It it's just "every hour on the hour")?

I had a great time last year; I don't think I know enough systems well enough to run anything, but I'm really hoping to get in a few of the games I haven't had a chance to try yet: Analise, Apocalypse World, and of course Rob's shiny new Misspent Youth...

Looking forward to meeting folks and seeing al the New Shiny stuff. Only 2 weeks to go!

-Jim C
  • Strangely enough, most of my stuff for Gen Con is mostly sold out despite the fact that I don't think the descriptions are all that great.

Geasa at RPG1011275 and RPG1011278 both only have 1 ticket left and even the CyberGen events are mostly sold out RPG1011273 and RPG1011274.

It's always a surprise to me when that happens.
  • Posted By: Jim CrockerLast year there were occasional difficulties in figuring out good times to show up. Any chance we can at least get a rough time frame of when game sessions might start (even It it's just "every hour on the hour")?
    Since many games are designed to play out within a four-hour convention session, I think you can assume that there will be games starting with the session changes (10am and 2pm). On the other hand, some games will play quicker ( a one- or two-hour session) so hopefully there will be a chance to jump into games midway.

Would it be useful to have a Twitter account for Games on Demand (or Indie Games Explosion more generally) where people could post updates about games? "@indiegamesexplosion starting a game of Lady Blackbird at 2pm- need one player! #GenCon".
  • Posted By: Steve SegedyWould it be useful to have a Twitter account for Games on Demand (or Indie Games Explosion more generally) where people could post updates about games? "@indiegamesexplosion starting a game of Lady Blackbird at 2pm- need one player! #GenCon".
    And/Or maybe just a sign up sheet with meetup times in the area we're supposed to play games. GM makes the sheet, players sign up. If its not full, and other things are happening at that designated time, maybe the players can converge! Or just a list of possible games. Isn't that how it's supposed to go down, with like, a stack of books advertising what GM's could run?

• Would it be useful to have a Twitter account for Games on Demand (or Indie Games Explosion more generally) where people could post updates about games? "@indiegamesexplosion starting a game of Lady Blackbird at 2pm- need one player! #GenCon".
    Good idea!

Twitter is Games_On_Demand

use to send out notices of any games and tag #gencon
  • Posted By: anansigirl
    And/Or maybe just a sign up sheet with meetup times in the area we're supposed to play games. GM makes the sheet, players sign up. If its not full, and other things are happening at that designated time, maybe the players can converge! Or just a list of possible games. Isn't that how it's supposed to go down, with like, a stack of books advertising what GM's could run?
    This is also a good idea. Last year it seemed that people were not using this to find games though. I think if you wrote down that you'd run say "Roach at 3pm" there would be people to sign up and be there. Most people just seemed to wander in and out and find what was there right then. I'm open to anyone who wants to make this easier for players to find games.
  • Considering how far away GOD was from the Convention Center last year, and that it's far away this year as well, I know that I intend to do what I did last year and just wander in and play whatever is getting started at that moment. I'm not to into walking over, signing up for something later, then leaving and having to come back later. That's just a pain in the ass in Indy in August.
  • Oh hey,

Show up ready to run something, too. Be part of the On Demand. That way you will never be disappointed.

(Says the sad boy who won't even be there...)
  • I have tried to make it to Gen con for years now... ONE of these years.
  • Hot shit in a handbasket, I can't WAIT for GenCon!

I didn't attend last year. Now, I'm excited as hell to see friends and play games.

My planned trip was in jeopardy a couple weeks ago. I finally sold that fucking house, and will be moving in August. So, there was lots of hand wringing and discussion at the Snyders. Money's a bit tight, and moving twice will be stressful.

But, damn it all, I'm going, and going to have a blast. Hell, I'm on family vacation RIGHT NOW, and I still am thinking about GenCon.

I'll be helping out Jared with FreeMarket and Parsely.

See you there!
  • Damn. Now I kinda wish I had put together some sort of official "Story Games (tm) Meetup (tm)" or somthing. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

Unofficially, should we all just kinda congregate in the Embassy Suites dining area some night (Fri/Sat) at 8:00PM or so? I'm up for a mass laid-back talking and gaming meetup if it's low-key and laid back.

-Andy
  • I was thinking about making reservations at Buca di Beppo or someplace for a Story Games/Indie Games Explosion type meetup. Maybe it's not too late to throw something together for Saturday evening?
  • That sounds good, Steve.

Graham
  • It's too late to get reservations at Buca in the evening. A month ago may well have been too late. Afternoon, though, you might get lucky.

James
  • SG folks-

If you don't mind a few block walk or short cab ride there is a fantastic and stupidly-cheap-to-my-East-Coast-eye Indian restaurant that has fantastic food, lots of space and is just enough out of the way that it's usually easy to get into.

http://www.indiagardenindy.com/

Just a thought. Buca will be a complete mob scene all weekend.

-Jim C.
  • Thanks Jim- I was about to post that same link. It's not far from the convention center, and it was pretty good when we ate there a few years ago.
  • Jerry G and I know this place well, I think we ate there 2-3 times because every other g****mned place was full with hour long waits after 6. And yet, they were excellent.

The short walk will take you past the fountain and downtown Indy, so it's a nice walk especially with friends.

-Andy
  • maybe i should make plans to attend this "gen con" thing next year?
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: blankshieldIt's too late to get reservations at Buca in the evening. A month ago may well have been too late. Afternoon, though, you might get lucky.
    So I was pretty much in agreement with James on this, but I thought I'd try their online reservation system anyway. Now I have a small table for Saturday night at 7pm. I'm betting that they have more, if folks are interested. Maybe we could even take the place over, one table at a time.

www.bucadibeppo.com Reservations
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: Steve Segedy I have a small table for Saturday night at 7pm. I'm betting that they have more, if folks are interested. Maybe we could even take the place over, one table at a time.
    Totally for this. I just put in a reservation request for the same time, waiting for the email confirmation...

[update] Table for six reserved for Saturday at 7!
  • Posted By: AndyDamn. Now I kinda wish I had put together some sort of official "Story Games (tm) Meetup (tm)" or somthing. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

Unofficially, should we all just kinda congregate in the Embassy Suites dining area some night (Fri/Sat) at 8:00PM or so? I'm up for a mass laid-back talking and gaming meetup if it's low-key and laid back.

-Andy
    I'm still for this AFTER the dinner thing on Saturday. That way, those of us who don't go to Buca and become rolly monsters of fullness from delicious pasta can still meet up with people, game, be laid back, and maybe get their drink on. Just sayin.
  • Folk are, of course, welcome to stop by the RPGnet Meet after 6 on Saturday. We'll be talking games and playing too, and there's nothing wrong with someone stopping by and demoing their cool new game.
  • Posted By: Jim CrockerSG folks-

If you don't mind a few block walk or short cab ride there is a fantastic and stupidly-cheap-to-my-East-Coast-eye Indian restaurant that has fantastic food, lots of space and is just enough out of the way that it's usually easy to get into.

http://www.indiagardenindy.com/

Just a thought. Buca will be a complete mob scene all weekend.

-Jim C.
    From someone who's worked in downtown Indy for over 10 years: India Garden is nothing short of awesome food.
  • Posted By: chaldfontFrom someone who's worked in downtown Indy for over 10 years: India Garden is nothing short of awesome food.
    Oh yeah. We found that place last year, and it was pretty darn good. Hope to hit it again sometime this year.

Also, if you're not getting breakfast at your hotel, there's a place on the other side of the circle called Le Peep that is pretty badass. Not too expensive, really good french toast. Nom nom nom.
  • India Garden is good. Didn't it used to be closer to the convention center?
  • Used to be across from the Hilton - I think they changed locations after the 2006 show, which is when I first went there.
  • They moved over to Delaware I think. A little farther to go but worth it. There's also Barcelona Tapas over that way.
  • And if you are a beer geek, this post at HoosierBeerGeek should get you squared away.
  • Holy crap, just arrived at my rental house. This place is AWESOME. 1.8 miles from the convention center (about a 30 min walk), but it's got tons of rooms, gaming tables, etc. We're waffling on running events here.

If you happen to be around tonight and have access to transport, ring me up. If you don't have my number, whisper or email me.