Jake's Awesome Fantasy Game Contest

edited July 2009 in Story Games
Hi. I don't post here so much anymore (due to time mostly. I still have love in my heart for all of you), but since my contest came up in the July thread I thought I'd provide details. Specifically I'd like to state that the contest is open to everyone.

!!! Jake's Awesome Fantasy Game Contest !!!

I want to start a design contest. Joel and I discovered a game called Mythweaver:Reckoning on RPGNOW. Here's the link:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=63114.

While the game is actually pretty good, the copy in the RPGNOW listing is pretty awful. It's kind of everything I hate about generic fantasy games. But... At the same time, maybe these are parts that could make an awesome whole? Here's the idea:

Challenge: Build an awesome fantasy game. Your game must meet these requirements.

-Must be 48 pages.
-Must include a distinctive core mechanic.
-Must include complete rules for character creation.
-Must include complete rules for magic.
-Must include a flexible skill system.
-May include guidelines for resolving actions during the game.
-Must cost just $3.00
-Must be made available for sale on RPGNOW

Deadline: Last day of August! We'll play the games at the August Go Play SE PDX, or I'll play the games in my spare time.

Prize: I'll do the art for your game. At least a cover and 4 illustrations. I'll provide publishing support as well, if needed.

Progress? This thread will act as a home for the contest. You can post questions, ideas and drafts here.

Who can participate? You can!

Who Judges? Me. I'm looking for creativity, originality and innovation. Solid design is a bonus as well. I'll be choosing whichever game i like the best, and my tastes are what will guide me.

More on the requirements:

-Must be 48 pages: I mean 48 pages as a finished product. With art and layout and stuff. Since this is a design contest I doubt anyone will be taking their game that far before the deadline (but I can hope, because I love finished products). So what I'm looking for is a text that will be about 48 pages when/if it becomes a published game. Does that make sense? So aim for a 48 page publication, not 48 pages of text!

-Must include a distinctive core mechanic: Distinctive meaning whatever you think it means.

-Must include complete rules for character creation: Or character generation and distribution, really. Don't feel tied to any traditional character creation ideas.

-Must include complete rules for magic: Or powers. Have fun with that.

-Must include a flexible skill system: The neat thing here is that there's no requirement for a combat system of any kind.

-May include guidelines for resolving actions during the game: Please.

-Must cost just $3.00: See below.

-Must be made available for sale on RPGNOW: This is not actually a requirement. I just think it would be fun to flood RPGNOW with a bunch of cool, cheap fantasy games.

The official thread for the contest is on Go Play PDX There's a lot more info there.

Comments

• Questions:
    Since you would be doing the art assuming one of us won would place holder art be sufficient?
    Should setting be included or does it not matter?
  • Mythweaver: Reckoning has a setting. So, basically, you can have a setting-less game but that's just announcing that your game is not as awesome.
  • From Stuff to Watch: July 2009:
    Posted By: Jonathan Walton[1 - there was never a 1 for Jake's contest]

Clinton, you are going down fool! Bring it! I double-dog-dare you!
    You are awakening the beast, Walton. I have bone-crushing fantasy awesome to bring.
  • Hey Jake,
    Posted By: jake richmond-Must be made available for sale on RPGNOW
    What's the impetus for this particular requirement?

Thanks,

Paul
  • Posted By: ClintonYou are awakening the beast, Walton. I have bone-crushing fantasy awesome to bring.
    Good thing I took the Key of Bone-Fragmentation, so your fantasy awesome gives me XP.
  • (cross posted on the main thread listed above)
    Enter
    Pandemic ~ Age of man

Imagine a pulpy fantasy setting where there is no magic but instead psionics (ooh aah) and tesla punk style awesome. For ages the various fantasy races of [insert cool planet name] have existed in a gritty corrupt world and now after a mysterious meteor shower a new plague has stricken the land…man. A strange illness [insert strange illness name] has left many crippled and sickened but those who have survived the ghastly virus have become wretched pink beasts calling themselves humans.
    Upon first awakening most are crazed versions of their former selves until human cultists slip them away to strange meme pools where they are implanted with memories.

The game will use binomial dice (0’s and 1’s) where the player roles a number of dice equal to their total modifiers and such. Before rolling a difficulty level is determined ranging from impossible to probable (or something like that) in two main areas quality and speed much like the ore system. The player then spends their binomial dice to raise the difficulties for example I spend some of my dice to go from awful quality to good.
    The game will also use resources pools similar to the pool system in which characters can add flair to their actions, take temporary narrative control, or anything else I think of.

So I am as they say…in.
    (must learn how to layout books in scribus!)
  • I've been thinking about putting together a little D&D-esque retro-ish thing lately. This contest might just be what I need to make me actually do it.

48 pages seems awfully long for what I had in mind, but I suppose between fleshing out the setting and just making the pages smaller, it's doable.

Do you want people to formally announce their intent to participate in the official thread?

Also, I'll probably regret this, but: I vow to purchase each and every contest entry which actually shows up on RPGNOW for $3.
  • Posted By: jake richmond
    -Must be 48 pages.
    Is that 48 A4-sized pages, or 48 pages any size? Also, why $3? Do people really hate PDFs that much?

And yes, this means I hope to squeeze in an entry.
  • edited July 2009
    D'you have a link to your gallery so we can see what we'd (possibly) be winning? Also I just like to look at art.
    Additionally, four interior images for a 48 page booklet is a bit low for my own personal tastes - would you be available for further paid commissions beyond those you commit to as a prize, and if so, what would you charge for each additional piece?
    I've always wanted to do a fantasy game, maybe this is the excuse I need, but I need to know that I can afford to produce a quality product at the end for it to be worthwhile.

-Ash
  • Posted By: Paul CzegeHey Jake,

Posted By: jake richmond-Must be made available for sale on RPGNOW
    What's the impetus for this particular requirement?

Thanks,

Paul

I withdraw this question. I see in the notes now that it's not actually a requirement.

Paul
  • Brilliant! And a great prize, too.
  • Are you looking for high fantasy? Or can we wander around the genre a bit?

Gotta say, it's been years since I've built a game with rules for skills. Not sure I remember how.
  • Posted By: madunkiegGotta say, it's been years since I've built a game with rules forskills. Not sure I remember how.
    a flexible skill system - you know, skills like "for myself," or "with love"... :)
  • Me and my girlfriend are going to submit the winning entry.

And it will have better rules for animal companions than your game.
  • edited July 2009
    Fair warning. I don't hang out here much any more. I'm much more likely to answer questions over at GoPlayPDX.
    Posted By: Ron Hammack
    Do you want people to formally announce their intent to participate in the official thread?
    That's not necessary, but it would help me figure out how much time I'll need to set aside for reading and playing, and how many people I'll need to recruit to help me.
    Posted By: threegeeIs that 48 A4-sized pages, or 48 pages any size?
    Any size. You can get creative and use tiny pages and huge fonts if you want.
    Posted By: threegeeAlso, why $3?
    All the requirements are taken from the Mystweaver: Reckoning listing on RPGNOW.
    Posted By: DestriarchD'you have a link to your gallery so we can see what we'd (possibly) be winning?
    You can see my gallery [url=http://jakerichmondgallery.wordpress.com/]here[/url].
    Posted By: Destriarchour interior images for a 48 page booklet is a bit low for my own personal tastes - would you be available for further paid commissions beyond those you commit to as a prize, and if so, what would you charge for each additional piece?
    Well, 4 illustrations plus the cover is what I was comfortable commiting to, but I may choose to award more. It really depends on my schedule. I can always be contracted for more art, but I'm hesitant to talk about that here. Anyone interested can contact me off list.
    Posted By: madunkiegAre you looking for high fantasy? Or can we wander around the genre a bit?
    Well... the contest rules just say fantasy, right? I kept that vague for a reason. I don't anticipate turning anything away for not being fantasy enough. Looking around my room I'd count Cerebus, Star Wars, Dresdan Codak, Blade of the Imortal and Zot! as fantasy. My definition is pretty broad.

Or are you asking what kind of fantasy I like? I'll be honest, people who know my tastes are going to have a much better shot at this.
    Posted By: joepubMe and my girlfriend are going to submit the winning entry.
    I don't doubt that.
  • Alright, I'm in.

Rajah Spiny Rat needs a companion game that brings the awesome without the epic sanskrit poetry.

V
  • My game is called "Hi-Quality role-playing." It's right there in the title.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Oh yea, I'm just saying, I'm totally in for this kind of madness. Its my kind of madness.
  • Ok, after some deliberation and soul-searching, I think I'm in. I'm still toying with names at the moment, but I've decided that my game will focus on the all-time fantasy favourite subject of beating the ever-loving statistics out of very, very large creatures. Expect a fully developed combat system specifically designed for dealing with creatures of immense size, and what happens when tiny little humans try and take them out.

I'll probably use a synonym for the word 'Giant' as a title. I'm lousy at titles, so if anyone would like to offer an opinion on the following:
    Titan - Giantslayer - Gigas / Gigantes - Colossus - any other suggestions are also welcome, especially if there are cool-sounding names for giants in languages I don't know (I really must get an Afrikaans dictionary!)

Should we hive off to threads of our own to discuss design of these games? It'd keep this thread relatively clear.
  • We've been discussing games at the contest central at GoPlayPDX.
  • Posted By: DestriarchExpect a fully developed combat system specifically designed for dealing with creatures of immense size, and what happens when tiny little humans try and take them out.
    Sounds great!

Posted By: Destriarch
    Should we hive off to threads of our own to discuss design of these games? It'd keep this thread relatively clear.
    Ben is right. Most of the discussion is happening over on the GoPlayPDX thread, which is the contest home. There's also some stuff on my blog. Feel free to start threads or post details where ever you want, but if you want me to read them make sure I know about them!
  • I'm moving over there now to keep it all in one place.
  • Ben was telling me about his entry... and now my interest is piqued.

Presenting Operation: Samwise

- Your entire character sheet fits into 140 characters
    - That includes your skills, spells, and other fantasy goodies
    - Streamlined three-round combat. The tougher the fight, the longer it takes.
    - Round 1 is the cakewalk round, round 2 is the "it hurts" round, and round 3 is the "people die" round
    - Like all my games, you can play a vampire
    - Specifically designed for ensemble cast asynchonroys play
    - Does anyone know a way to embed an active spreadsheet into a PDF file?
  • Whoa! Like your soul or essence inhabits the bodies/spirits of like 140 other people??!
  • Posted By: MelinglorWhoa! Like your soul or essence inhabits the bodies/spirits of like 140 other people??!
    OK, I think I just decided to change my game design.
  • I'm doing this. I wrote my game this afternoon.

It's called Dragon Squads Against the Emperor: Perilous, Intrepid Encounters System, aka DragonS AtE PIES.

Matt
  • Posted By: DeliveratorI'm doing this. I wrote my game this afternoon.

It's called Dragon Squads Against the Emperor: Perilous, Intrepid Encounters System, aka DragonS AtE PIES.

Matt
    That's P.R.E.T.T.Y. F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.
    Posted By: JasonPOh, I corrected the tagging in your post, hope you don't mind :)
    Thank you!
  • I'm in. It's on.
  • edited July 2009
    Posted By: DeliveratorI'm doing this. I wrote my game this afternoon.

Matt
    I'll see your DragonS Ate PIES and raise you my Fantasy Roleplaying Entertainment Engine: The Swords of Exile. aka FREE SEx.
  • edited July 2009
    Hmm my design on the binomial system keeps getting derailed by my frustration of the fact that the retro clone movement ignores titles that were better than d&d. I just may need to do Dangerous Journeys story game style with my setting.
  • Posted By: tony dowler- Streamlined three-round combat. The tougher the fight, the longer it takes.
    This puts me in mind of 'Seven Leagues', which also had a three-phase-only combat system.

-Ash
  • In, I think.

Mike
  • Posted By: Mike HolmesIn, I think.

Mike
    That would be awesome.
  • Seriously considering being in. Gotta reality-check my time commitments though.
  • Jake, post your logo here.
  • Well, shucks. Who could resist that?
  • That is badass.
  • Sweet logo!
  • It's supposed t look like me, but it doesn't really look like me. Or really , it looks like the Lazytown version of me.
  • And what are you doing in Lazytown with that sword? Rescuing the princess Stephanie from the evil wizard Lil Jon?
  • Posted By: JohnstoneAnd what are you doing in Lazytown with that sword? Rescuingthe princessStephanie fromthe evil wizardLil Jon?
    Maybe Sportacus has taken up fencing?
  • Hi. We're one month into the contest, and right at it's middle point. Up until now I've been kind of vague about a few things, so now is the time for me to get specific.

Contest deadline: 11:59 PM (Pacific time), August 31st 2009. No games will be accepted after this time. I'd encourage all of you to send your games in sooner then that if possible.

Acceptable formats: Anything is really fine. I'm expecting to receive most of the games as either Word or PDF files or Google Docs. Posting your content online is fine. Just make sure I know where to go to read it. Please do not send me scanned, hand written pages. I won't be able to read them. If you're going the extra mile and uploading your game to RPGNOW, make sure you send me a comp copy.

How to send me a copy of your game: You can email me at jake@atarashigames.com. You can attach the file to the email, or include a link in the email. You can also post a link on the official thread at the Goplaypdx forum (link below). You can also upload files to the Goplaypdx Downloads page (link below). Please do not post links on the Story-games forum, my blog or anywhere else. I may not notice them.

What I will do with the games: I will read every game submitted. I will play as many of them as possible. At this point I don't anticipate being able to play every game, so I'll be focusing on games that I feel need to be played in order for me to understand them.

My judging criteria: As I've said before, I will be judging using my own personal tastes as a guide. I value originality, creativity, unique experiences. More then any of that, I value the unexpected. The game that wins will likely do so because it captures my heart completely by showing me something I've never seen before. Or maybe it won't? maybe I'll be won over by a nice, solid, traditional design?

Of course, I'll also be using the contests requirements as a guideline. I'm not just looking to see how closely these games followed the requirements, but also in what interesting ways the designers worked around them. These requirements were chosen because the represent much of what I typically don't like in a a game, so I'm very curious to see what you all have come up with.

As noted by several people, those of you who know me and share my tastes may have a better chance of winning this contest. That's just the way it is. I'm a big believer in designing for specific audiences. That said, I think the best way to win this contest is to show me something I've never seen before.

Awards: I'll be giving out a Grand Prize Award and two special category awards. The Grand Prize Award prize is the art package. The special category awards won't include a prize. Each of the three awards will come with a special graphic that the winners can display on their site, blog, or game (or have tattooed on their arm or printed on their underwear).

Additionally, I'll be providing written feedback for each game.

Time frame: I plan to announce winners on September 26th. there may be delays if I recieve more games then I'm anticipating receiving, so let's keep that as a tentative date.

Questions?

Contact Jake: jake@atarashigames.com

Official Contest Thread: http://www.goplaypdx.com/forum/index.php?topic=595.0

Go Play PDX Downloads: http://www.goplaypdx.com/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl
  • Posted By: jake richmondPlease do not post links on the Story-games forum, my blog or anywhere else. I may not notice them.
    I just want to encourage folks: AFTER you send your submission to Jake, PLEASE DO post a link on this forum (in this thread), because we'd all love to see your entry!

-Andy
  • Andy is right. there's no good reason to keep your game a secret. We'll all get a lot more out of this if you share your game with everyone.
  • Heh, well, I'm not going to get anywhere in this contest, that's for sure ;) my game is very traditional.

-Ash
  • Posted By: DestriarchHeh, well, I'm not going to get anywhere in this contest, that's for sure ;) my game is very traditional.

-Ash
    Well, you never know. The only thing I really know about myself for sure is that I don't really know exactly what I like, but I often latch onto things that other people make if they are really, really excited about them.
  • edited July 2009
    Posted By: DestriarchHeh, well, I'm not going to get anywhere in this contest, that's for sure ;) my game is very traditional.

-Ash
    Oh yeah? I'll fight you for last place then!

You want to talk traditional? My game, You Are A Fantasy Hero!, has hit points. Levels. Skills (4 of them.) Classes (currently 75 of them.) Races as classes! Heck, even the brief nods to story game sensibilities are very traditional indie things like "set stakes" and "say yes or roll the dice".
  • Posted By: Ron HammackOh yeah? I'll fight you for last place then!

You want to talk traditional? My game,You Are A Fantasy Hero!, has hit points. Levels. Skills (4 of them.) Classes (currently 75 of them.)Racesas classes! Heck, even the brief nods to story game sensibilities are very traditional indie things like "set stakes" and "say yes or roll the dice".
    Hehe, OK, mine isn't that bad, even if it *is* a classic die pool system hiding behind slightly unconventional terminology! (Actually, the slightly odd terminology is important though, it makes the game's extensive system of special abilities easier to understand.) Oh, and by 'bad' I don't mean in the sense of quality, I just mean 'so badly infected by traditionalism' - which isn't necessarily a bad thing from everyone's perspective.

There, I think that covered me.

Gotta say I'm curious how a game can have 75 classes, but only 4 skills though.

-Ash