My cat is violating the Czege Principle

Seriously, he's chasing his tail all over the goddamn place right now. He's fighting no one but himself and seems to be having a wonderful time doing it.

Oh - wait - never mind. Now he's going after my elbow.

Now it's his tail again.

Asleep now. Actual Play Report over.

Comments

• laughs Thanks for the informative report!

Wouldn't the tail chasing be better classified as lonely fun though, or at best as a solo adventure?
  • edited July 2009
    Cats exist to violate rules. No?

A serious answer is that your analysis is wrong.
    The cat is not the one posing the challenge, the cat's tail is. The cat's tail is considered as an individual entity when the cat is playing, and sadly, sometimes when the cat is trying to clean the tail as well.

I've made this observation to my mother before.
  • Colin, your cat might be doing it, but it is not having any fun.

In any case, it's impossible to judge anything from an isolated instance of play. We need to observe your cat over a period of months before we can judge anything about its gaming. Can you set up a webcam or something? Thanks.

Graham
  • How did your mother respond?

I feel comfortable saying that i would side with her, she seems a logical sort.

Colin, thank you. rarely do i roflmao quite to this extent without dermitological conditioning.
  • My mother agrees with me regarding Elliott, and then affectionally calls him "Stuuupid cat, siiiilly cat."
  • Cats have very short memories. Between the time they create their own adversity and then resolve it...they've already forgotten that they created the adversity themselves. Thus it always seems to them to be fresh and new and exciting. Until they decide that that shiny ball of tin foil is even more fresh and new and exciting...but then half way over to investigate the tin foil they'll decide to take a nap. When they wake up they'll decide that shiny ball of tin foil is actually a fearsome enemy and they'll bolt and hide under the couch for the rest of the night.
  • edited July 2009
    I think the "tail as separate entity" theory has serious merit, given that my last cat never seemed to realize that this wasn't some sort of weird thing following her around that she needed to keep clean. My wife's cat, being the smarter one (which is like saying that Moe is the smartest Stooge), actually keeps track of his tail and can usually control it when he needs to.

Edit: Also, Ralph's comment reminds me of a bunch of old dungeons I made years ago that I should play through now. It'll be a challenge and nostalgia all in one. "Oh right, the pushing wall trap that sends me into the vat of acid. I remember that. Now what did I leave so characters could get out of it... if anything... crap."
  • So the Czege Principle does not apply to gamers without enough self-awareness to realize they are creating their own adversity?
  • Is the cat actually resolving the adversity? Or is he just continually creating adversity?
  • Both.
    Like you resolve your need for oxygen and are faced with it again several times every minute.
  • The sanctity of our theory demands that your cat be eliminated, lest he destroy all that we have worked so hard to create!
  • Posted By: Paul CzegeIs the cat actually resolving the adversity? Or is he just continually creating adversity?
    Are we treading back on that old topic of "Do cats actually resolve anything?"
  • Every cat I've ever owned... and I've owned a few and loved them all... only created problems and resolved none of them.
  • Sure it did resolve them Christopher.

Just as the player is said to resolve problems through their character, so did the cat resolve the problems it created on the meta level through its minion. That would be you :)
  • Actually, in the model you are presenting, the cat is a GM, and I am the PC asked to decide how to resolve the problem.

No one who has owned cats will be especially surprised by this phrasing.
  • I know, it was intentional.
    What is a player if not a form of the character's GM?

Or perhaps I am making use of the "Extreme-Cat-Control" Model, where the cat controls you directly, and only allows you to think you actually have free will, like, erm, God, who some call "GM" :)
  • edited July 2009
    I don't buy that my cat is always the GM. It think authority shifts around, based on how long its been since I trimmed his claws.

This morning he reminded me that he's been GM too long as of late.
  • edited July 2009
  • Now I think of it, my cat was throwing a mouse in the air today, then catching it. If that isn't creating your own adversity I don't know what is.

Graham
  • I think cats create adversity for themselves by going out at night and meeting with other cats. Out there is a whole world of blood and sex.
  • Posted By: droogI think cats create adversity for themselves by going out at night and meeting with other cats. Out there is a whole world of blood and sex.
    This inspires me to write a supplement for Cat.
  • Not another cat play flame war.

As soon as someone mentions doggy HItler, I'm outta here.
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsPosted By: droogI think cats create adversity for themselves by going out at night and meeting with other cats. Out there is a whole world of blood and sex.
    This inspires me to write a supplement for Cat.

God-Kings of Cat.
  • To the original poster: pics or it didn't happen.
  • Posted By: joepubTo the original poster: pics or it didn't happen.

Note the sandals for scale.
  • edited July 2009
    Is this cat a Gamist cat, a Simulationist cat, or a Narrativist cat?

Oh, wait that's easy...its a sim cat. Simple logic...

Cat has not kicked itself in the nutsack...not narrativist!
    Cat is not kicking some other cat in the nutsack...not gamist!
    Clearly, cat is simulating another cat in hot pursuit of its hind quarters in order to kick it in the nutsack...sim cat!
  • This is a prime candidate for Best of Story Games.
  • Well, you could nominate it, Ben. What's the matter? Cat got your tongue fingers?
  • Judd, a compromise:

Hitlercat!

• Cats are notoriously incoherent and dysfunctional. And brain-damaged, possibly from their habit of running down the hallway REALLY FAST and then somehow missing the turn at the end so that they slide head first into the door.

scurryscurryscurryscurryTHUD
  • Did Joshua just lolcat and Godwin at the same time?
  • Posted By: komradebobDid Joshua just lolcat and Godwin at the same time?
    Everything already exists somewhere on the internet:

• Lawyer, addressing the Czege Principal:

"Using this doll, please show the court where the cat violated you..."

Lawyer for Mr. Mittens: "I object!"
  • I have two cats, who create each other's adversity.

Perhaps it's only not fun if there's an alternative.
  • edited July 2009
    When my cats play, it's often incoherent - almost like they are sometimes playing completely different games! When they play alone, it seems more coherent.
  • Posted By: philarosWell, you could nominate it, Ben. What's the matter? Cat got yourtonguefingers?
    Done and done.
  • Posted By: demiurgeastarothWhen my cats play, it's often incoherent - almost like they are sometimes playing completely different games! When they play alone, it seems more coherent.
    Clearly, you're dealing with different Cat Agendas.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinPosted By: demiurgeastarothWhen my cats play, it's often incoherent - almost like they are sometimes playing completely different games! When they play alone, it seems more coherent.
    Clearly, you're dealing with different Cat Agendas.

Hmm.

N would be Nom-nom-nomist, and S would be Sleepist, but what would G be?
  • G is back to C, "Ceiling-Cat Follower". Or "Holy Caturday".
  • G=Godwinism? There's so many Kitlers out there just spoiling for a fight, as you have already seen! (www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com)
  • Gambolist?
  • Go Cat!
  • Gnawist, if the current state of my knuckles is any indication.

Cat #1's agenda: gnaw on my elbow.
    Cat #2's agenda: groom cat #1
    Result: Cat #2 wins through game-mechanical methods (a 14-pound advantage).
  • Posted By: Colin_FredericksGnawist, if the current state of my knuckles is any indication.
    I think we can safely call that a form of proto Nom-nom-nomisim, perhaps "vanilla" Non-nom-nomism.
    Cat #1's agenda: gnaw on my elbow.
    Cat #2's agenda: groom cat #1
    Result: Cat #2 wins through game-mechanical methods (a 14-pound advantage).
    Aha! A classic Cat Agenda clash! Cat #2's Groomism (The Right to Preen) is overwhelming the younger cat's Nom-nom-nomism, by judicious use of mechanics.
  • Yep, Groomism FTW.
  • Or making him fit his view of the world, so he won't be as much of an eye-sore.

Wet-cat is spiky.
  • Posted By: komradebobN would be Nom-nom-nomist, and S would be Sleepist, but what would G be?
    Gravelist. Or Gardenist if it's nice outside.
  • Is concretist an incoherent form of gravellist?

• Or this dog. His foot is creating adversity...

Dog Bites Own Foot
  • Actually, come to think of it, as a therapist I see people who are creating their own adversity all the time.

Paul is right, it's not fun.