[Combat Diaries:Omaha Beach] GPNW

edited June 2009 in Story Games
I ran CD:OB in the very last slot of Go-Play Northwest and it was the single best session I've ever run. Here are some thoughts.

1. I said "session" above and not "playtest." This is a huge step for me. It means that playtesting is over. I am ready to write the game in total, do some outside playtesting of the text as opposed to the rules, and then publish. I am so very happy about this I could cry.

2. The only thing we didn't do was the last scene, and we were all a little disapointed about that, but luckily the endgame wasn't part of the questions I had. All other questions were answered swimmingly.

3. What an amazing group. Paul Riddle, Hans Otterson, Jeremy Tidwell, David Drake, Will Huggins, Andy Blija, and Andy Henderson, you are all to be congratulated. You guys swung for the bleachers and ended up hitting it out of the park.

4. The fifth act about patrols and attrition where everyone narrated in letter from home during their life and death conflicts was poignant to a degree that I got choked up in places, as was the scene during the first Diary act where Andy H framed the post beach landing chow time with an original poem. Wow!

Thanks, guys.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Gawd, can't wait to see this in print!

Just noticed - you played with David Drake? The "Hammer's Slammers" David Drake?! If so...sooo awesome!
  • No, not that David Drake. Our David, while unpublished is just as awesome, though.
  • Ah, I see! :-) Cool!
  • The game was really, really great. I want to play it again sometime when I'm not at the tail-end of three days of gaming, and I look forward to paying you money for it, Ogre, and holding it in my hot little hands.
  • Congratulations! I wish I could have played.
  • I had a great time. With that crowd, the story flowed and it was really engaging. Pvt. Rabinowitz was awesome, great job with that character, Ogre. I'll look forward to seeing your game go to print.
  • Thanks much for the overview. Will keep an eye out for it as you move it forward.
  • Posted By: Ogremarco1. I said "session" above and not "playtest." This is a huge step for me. It means that playtesting is over. I am ready to write the game in total, do some outside playtesting of the text as opposed to the rules, and then publish. I am so very happy about this I could cry.
    I finished my first game at your place. When you're close to the end, you should come and spend a week with me.

Congratulations, brother.