Do you game in the car?

edited June 2009 in Story Games
My wife and I have a few games we play in the car on trips, or while stuck in traffic. We go diceless usually, though the idea of a die in a shaker has been bandied about.

What about you? Ever try this?

Comments

• Haven't, but it sounds great. Could you break down a bit what you mean by "diceless"? Is it a karma- or drama-based game?
  • Never tried it, but in two days I'm leaving on a road trip with my partner and her parents. Only the father will be driving, with me and my partner sitting in the back. For this event, I will be printing out the following games, to be played by me and my partner, and possibly her mother if she's interested:

Formless
    Ghost Echo
    In Spaaace
    Microcosm
    Otherkind
    dice (not the game itself, but rather just the mechanics)
    Salome
    Shadows
    The Nighttime Animals Save the World
    The Pool
    Tiny Triangles

Possibly Wushu as well, we'll see.

Those are the games that seem like they could be played in a car where none of the players are driving (and also the games with rulebooks short enough that my partner will be able to read them before we play).

Will this work out? Will we have fun? Only time will tell.
  • Oh man, I am getting some great ideas. I'm road-tripping in July with 5 other people who haven't played RPGs. Gotta see if I can get in on this, and think about which game would be best...(XSl springs immediately to mind)
  • I haven't either, but with all the other things there are to do in the car (not sarcastic), I can't say that I feel particularly tempted to try. Maybe if someone else really, really, REALLY wanted to run a game on a road trip, like they would die if they didn't get a chance to do it. Otherwise, you know, I'm happy just watching the scenery, talking, listening to loud music, etc.
  • We've played both BESM & PDQ in the car on the drive to and from Mid-South Con. Conveniently these are games that only require a few d6s. Dice can be rolled in the cup-holders of many fine American land-yachts (and that's the only way to take a four-person gaming group to a convention in style). Generally the only chance the four of us get to play that campaign is during the travel-time, so we make a point of doing it.

I make out like a bandit on the deal, too: as GM, I don't have to take a turn behind the wheel like everyone else!
  • I'd usually just as soon talk about whatever and listen to music too, but I'm starting to think that a resolution mechanic involving license plates could be kinda cool. I'd use the numbers somehow and with vanity or out-of-state plates meaning something particular to the narrative...

Driving from Portland to Seattle for GPNW week after next with two guys from my Sunday group. Hmmm...
  • My wife and I have played Exalted in the car a few times. We're both familiar enough with the game to half-ass the numbers, and system-wise it turns into resource management and decision making and, of course, stunting. It's been pretty fun.
  • We played PTA on the way to GPSE one time, and "freeform" D&D on the way back. The latter was way more fun.
  • Eppy, Alexander, Terry, and I made up a game on are way from Camp Nerdly 2+ years ago called Apocalypse Drive as a way to keep the driver entertained on long trips.

In Apocalypse Drive, you discover the tale of the last human man (or woman) in a post-apocalyptic landscape. Your goal is to tell the story of the survivor's discovery of the last human woman (or man) and how they become the Adam and Eve of a resurgent human race.

Apocalypse Drive uses the car's odometer, license plates, and the actual places you are driving to and from to drive the action.

We were influenced by The Price is Right and Donjon.
  • Posted By: jenskotWe were influenced by The Price is Right and Donjon.
    That is the best sentence I've read all year.
  • Old school character driven "what do you do?" gm driven stuff without hardmechanics works best for us. Like whatyou did at coffee after the game when you weren't truly done but the dice and sheets were still back at the house.
  • I've always wanted to try cargaming but could never figure out a system that worked for us.
  • I wanted to do a design contest for Dreamation where you playstorm a game to be played in the car on the car ride to Dreamation.
  • Posted By: jenskot
    In Apocalypse Drive, you discover the tale of the last human man (or woman) in a post-apocalyptic landscape. Your goal is to tell the story of the survivor's discovery of the last human woman (or man) and how they become the Adam and Eve of a resurgent human race.

Apocalypse Drive uses the car's odometer, license plates, and the actual places you are driving to and from to drive the action.

We were influenced by The Price is Right and Donjon.
    FREAK.
    OUT.

!!!

That sounds absolutely amazing. Does the game tell a story of a road trip, or is the "Drive" purely about player-level situation?
  • Oh, and Ribbon Drive is a game about road trips that'd run really well on an actual road trip.
  • When I was about 17 or so, I ran the wickedest Rifts game I've ever played while driving back and forth between Los Angeles and Death Valley. Long, empty boring roads with my best friends in the car -- so of course we blew shit up in our imaginations.

These days I don't do it much because Toronto traffic scares the shit out of me often enough that I've got no focus for it. But on long road trips (especially through the north where there is no humanity, much less traffic) I've occasionally been known to play a little something to pass the time. Mostly not long or full games, but little hour long diversions.
  • Posted By: joepubFREAK.
    OUT.

!!!

That sounds absolutely amazing. Does the game tell a story of a road trip, or is the "Drive" purely about player-level situation?
    Oh man, you are making me want to polish off the old google docs and see if I can piece something sensible for sharing! I'm not sure what you mean by "drive as player-level situation" but the fiction itself features a road trip as you try to find the last human woman (or man) and find a place to settle down and rebuild the human race. I was the driver when we made up the game and it really helped the 6 hours pass by. It's interesting as the the driver has some GM abilities but doesn't talk as much since they are driving. But they do have a lot of pacing control if not content control. It was fun!
  • The way I see it is if you create a system with few enough stats that you can memorize them, and few enough dice that you can shake them in a plastic cup, you're good to go.
  • I don't think gaming in the car would work for me; years of commuting by bus at godawful hours in the morning have rendered it nearly impossible for me to remain awake in the passenger seat of a moving vehicle for trips longer than about 10 minutes.
  • Best Friends would work very well in a car, especially if you're playing a road trip.
  • My very first day of RPG play included play in the back of a station wagon.

My little sister and I also played some D&D in the car while driving cross country.

Other than that, the most I have done in the car is talked about the current game.

Frank
  • I so rarely take long road trips with other folks that it doesn't even occur to me to do so. But the drive from Durham, NC, to ATL for Dragon*Con could become one. AND it would be an experiment in two-player games (which I almost never do, either).

Any suggestions for good, one-on-one, low-handling RPGs?
  • Apocalypse Drive sounds great. Actually the game I always bring for long car trips is EABAnywhere, a free, diceless version of EABA whose character sheets are designed to fit in your wallet:

Check it out, it is free.
  • I often play the "Loudly Argue With the Gaming Podcast" game. It's really more of a solo game, and no one ever wins.
  • Death Stakes.
  • I wanted to do a game about raven police officers who investigate road-kill murders.

There was something about the mileage and things you see on the road and rest stops.

But that was all I had.
  • During college, I was running a Vampire campaign. On game night, we often took dinner breaks and one of us would go out to grab food for everyone. Invariably, the player who went to get the food would ask me to ride with them and I would let them call for scenes with NPCs so they could scheme and trade boons (favors) and plot and plan. There was an unspoken agreement that we would not engage the mechanics since one of us would be driving. It was supremely fun.
  • Posted By: jenskotYour goal is to...blah blah blah
    Bullshit! Your goals are, in this order:
    * keep the driver entertained
    * allow the driver to concentrate on driving
    * keep the passengers occupied and entertained
    * tell the heroic journey of a single protagonist.
  • That to!
  • Always listen to Alexander. His first time was in a car.