Go Play Monkey King Shirt 09

The new Go Play monkey king shirt is now available!

Link to buy the black standard weight t-shirt with this design.

Link to create your own product with this design (different shirt styles, colors and weights are available).

NOTE: This is NOT the shirt for people attending GPNW 09. Your shirt will be similar, but with a special difference, so don't order this shirt if you're coming to the event. Pre-register and order a shirt through the GPNW site.

Comments

• edited May 2009
    SO GOOD! I love the little skulls around the outside.

Also, if you're going to Go Play, order your shirts here and pick them up at the con. This is only for con pick up, and only until June 1st!
  • These are my favorite shirts ever.
  • So, I have to ask: last year's shirt was insufficiently gay for my purposes. Do you know if these are the tighter, more form-fitting, gayer shirts, or the doughy, shape-hiding ones? If I recall, the difference was between American Apparel and some other brand.

• The shirt linked above is a standard boxy t-shirt.

You probably want an American Apparel shirt, but one size too small. That should do it. Or, if you're feeling bold, they have a Female Slim Fit AA shirt, too.
  • You can also get them pretty gay through color choice and image placement through Spreadshirt.
  • Uh, is there a way to figure out if I ordered a shirt when I ordered my ticket? I can't remember.
  • edited May 2009
    Posted By: BrendanUh, is there a way to figure out if I ordered a shirt when I ordered my ticket? I can't remember.
    Your paypal receipt should itemize what you bought, but I checked and you did and it was a Medium.
  • I want that DVD, please. I assume it is in Spanish with subtitles and there's at least one luchador, right?
  • Although we are holding this year's event in a theater, I think we may be a year or two away from producing DVDs... :-)
  • Posted By: John HarperLink tocreate your own product with this design(different shirt styles, colors and weights are available).
    I recommend people take a look at this design on white. Ghost Monkey Zombie King, anyone?
  • Posted By: philarosPosted By: John HarperLink tocreate your own product with this design(different shirt styles, colors and weights are available).
    I recommend people take a look at this design on white. Ghost Monkey Zombie King, anyone?

Oh Cool! It looks pretty rad on light blue as well.
  • edited May 2009
    I had to order a new Monkey King 2008 shirt...Ruth stole my original one and wore it out...
  • btw, what's the origin of the Monkey King?
  • Posted By: Chris Petersonwhat's the origin of the Monkey King?
    Well, we're not really sure. You see, he changes the story every time he tells it. The Monkey King's a tricky fellow.
  • edited May 2009
    He was born from a stone egg on the Island of Flowers and Fruit, originally calling himself simply the Handsome Monkey King. Then he studied with a great mystic, learning the secret of immortality, the 72 transformations, and gaining the name Sun Wukong or "Grandson that perceives the emptiness." He stole one of the pins that held down the Eastern Sea, gaining the magic Gold-Banded As-You-Will Expanding Cudgel. Then he single-handedly fought all the gods in Heaven and was only stopped when the Buddha trapped him under a mountain.

Here's a classic cartoon about him.

This is his theme song by Jesca Hoop (the track, not the poor-quality video).
  • Wait, the Monkey King is Monkey, as in Journey to the West Monkey? Huh.
  • Don't listen to them! It's not a monkey king at all, it's a sasquatch! There, I've said it.
  • Sun Wukong is only referred to as "Monkey" in bad English translations, really.
  • Being sadly monolingual and having only heard an overview of Journey to the West, that was about the best I could do. Sorry for the mistake.
  • edited June 2009
    Ooh, look at the pretty t-shirt!

We've got the shirts. They're piled up in the sizes everyone ordered and waiting to be handed out when people arrive.

The printer was short on the style of t-shirt we asked for, so they substituted it for a more expensive space-age brand. The material feels thinner, but apparently it's woven from the unfulfilled dreams of would-be poets, so it's, y'know, tougher than it looks. They're probably a bit more fashionable than the average con shirt.

- Tony, Phil and Ping, who think you all look good in that shirt
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonSun Wukong is only referred to as "Monkey" in bad English translations, really.
    The italian translations were made from the bad english ones, then, because Sun Wukong is referred to as "the stone monkey" ("lo scimmiotto di pietra") or "the monkey" too. Quite possible, also: more people know english than chinese and japanese, I'm sure.
  • edited July 2009
    We have extras of the special con-only Harper Go Play NW 2009 chombie shirt made of space-age materials (brand: Alternative Apparel), pictured in my post above. My understanding of t-shirt science from John is that he had the con-version printed to extend over the seams whereas Spreadshirt prints the design smaller.

We have 5 Large and only 1 remaining XX-Large, cost is 25.00 (20.00 + 5.00 shipping&handling). Email us at goplaynw_at_gmail_dot_com, and we'll hook you up.

If you want to order a different size or shirt base, see John's Spreadshirt links.
  • Turns out we have 1 X-Large con-version of the GPNW09 t-shirt left as well. The XXL was claimed so that's 5 Large and 1 XLarge. Email goplaynw_at_gmail_com if you want some go play nw tshirt goodness.