Dungeon Crawl: Ablative Character Sheets and Otherkind Dice

edited May 2009 in Actual Play
So is just an experiment being carried out over on my livejournal. It's a bit chaotic since the whole thing is a giant experiment.

To start with here are the three characters:
Name
Tiny

Weapon - A wooden club, shaped by my own hands as a training exercise (1)
Armor - My own skin, originally harder than average by genetics, toughened by various training methods thereafter. Simple clothing. (2)
A piece of equipment - A book, bound in leather made from dead warriors past, that I write notes, snippets of interest, and observations into (1)
A cultural trait - laconic (2)
Something I'm good at - understanding the whole through putting together pieces (2)

Name
Nix

Weapon - a small, stolen, ceremonial dagger (1)
Armor - plain leathers (1)
Item - a familial grimoire, passed down through generations (2)
Cultural Trait - Thievery (2)
Something I'm good at - Wizardry (2)

Name
Squall

item - spiked chain carried by my father and his father (2)
item - studded leather made from the hide of a basilisk (2)
item - caltrops forged from a fallen star (1)
Cultural trait - Ritual Cannibal
Something I'm good at - Butchery

Comments

• I started them off in the middle of the shit. We'll flashback after the first encounter to establish a little more of the back story. I also posted a very brief summary of GM duties and player duties. There are some modifications I made to the Otherkind Dice as well.

Above you lies the ruined monastery overlooking the town. Back in the town a plague runs unchecked, bodies lie unburied, the fields are fallow, and trade in and out of the town has ground to a halt.

Your torches sputter and illuminate the rough hewn room. In front of you three ragged wrapped and chain bound figures jerk towards you armed with cleavers.

Tiny scanned the room and looks for details that can help out. The ragged and chain bound figures raised their cleavers and exhaled a honeysuckle smelling cloud.

I described a tactical feature of uneven flagstones on the floor. The other players chimed in with:
    crumbling mortar between the stones of the walls
    stairs leading down into the floor, in the far corner
    a rotted wooden door, fallen of its hinges

Nix positioned near the door and Squall let out his chain.
  • For Tiny:
    The ragged and chained figure wants grapple you so it can exhale death.
    But the danger is:
    it trips over the broken stones
    goes sailing into the wall knocking stones down

I roll 3d6
    4 goes to the stake so it's partial accomplished so it has one hand on you
    4 goes to tripping so it doesn't trip
    3 goes to sailing into the wall which it does and rocks come down.

For Nix:
    A cleaver whips through the air at Nix.

The ragged and chained figure wants to hurt you and drag you into darkness
    But the danger is:
    tripping over the floor
    he/she/it will fail disappointing it's Creator

I roll 3d6

The 6 goes to accomplishing the stake
    The 4 goes to not failing it's Creator
    The 2 goes to tripping over the floor, so the ragged and chain bound figure hits you (1 damage) and falls to the floor

For Squall:
    The ragged and chained figure wants to maneuver you into the stairwell.

But the danger is:
    tripping over the floor
    exposing it's backside for an attack

I roll 3d6

2 goes to the stake so you aren't positioned into the stairwell
    Both 6's go to the danger do it doesn't come true.
  • Please feel free to comment, ask questions, give suggestions etc...
  • Do you have a link to your LJ or something? I have no idea what this is...
  • I'd like to see what you have up on Live Journal as well... Thanks!
  • What's with all the falling over? Are the enemies all drunk?
  • edited May 2009
    Here is Part 1. This is the brain storming

Here is Part 2

Here is Part 3

Here is the current Part 4 where we are at

GB Steve: It was established in the fiction that it's poorly lit and the floor is uneven. So moving in to attack it's possible that you will fall.

EDIT: Added the other links
  • Hmm... you need a livejournal account to view this. Damn.
  • And to be friended, evidently. So, any chance of explaining what you did? What the numbers mean on the character sheet, etc? (I also notice you're rolling for the "monsters", which is interesting, because one of my thoughts in playing Ghost/Echo was mild disappointment that I, the GM, never got to roll any dice or such.)
  • Charlie: I though I had the entries open to the public. Let me check.
  • Well crap. I guess that doesn't work. I swore you could look at LJ entries without signing in. Give me a little bit and I'll post the gory details.

ara
  • Okay. The LJ thing is fixed. You should be able to see the links I posted!
  • I can read the LJ stuff. Looks interesting! But I'd still like to know how characters take damage...

Honeysuckle... then opium?
  • Johnstone: Damage (be it fighty or non-fighty) is carried out from the intent and the player (if they are the ones being damaged) determines where the point comes off from. When a trait (or whatever they are called) hits zero the trait changes into something else that should drive a different story then the one being told.
  • Benhimself:

We basically had a pool of points to split up among these traits:
    Weapon
    Armor
    A piece of equipment
    A cultural trait
    Something I'm good at

The higher the point value the more important that thing is to the player. At the start of the game the characters should look more or less like your average dungeon delver. Has they advanced they gain additional traits to drive the narrative.
  • So, you lose a point when someone else has a goal of damaging your character?

Do you lose a point if one of your dangers come to pass? Can that be one of your dangers?
  • Posted By: akooser
    GB Steve: It was established in the fiction that it's poorly lit and the floor is uneven. So moving in to attack it's possible that you will fall.
    Does falling have any effect beyond descriptive. It seems a harsh penalty to pay for attacking. You might well be safer not doing anything.
  • Johnstone: Yes you can lose a point if that is part of someone's goal. You can lose a point to a danger if that is how it's worded.
    Example for the second question:
    Squall has been trapped for days with no food or water. Next to Squall is the corpse of his friend. Squall needs to eat.

Squall's Player: I want to roll resisting eating the corpse. But the danger is 1) if I eat the corpse I violate my cultures rules on Ritual Cannibalism and loss a point there. 2) I get sick and weaken further.

GB Steve: I picked falling because it seemed interesting and reasonable. The falling on the floor sits in the fiction unless someone else picks up on it and uses it.
  • Tiny's player comes roaring in:

Ok. If I have this right:

My intent is to push it further into the wall and pound on it
    The dangers are:
    1. The figure could exhale death onto me in such a way that I breathe it in
    2. I could hit the wall too hard (with it's head) and more rocks could come down

I roll 3d6
    3, 6, 6!! That is too awesome. I assign a 6 to my intent, a 6 to danger 1, and 3 to danger 2.

So after some confusion Tiny (who is being grabbed by a falling chain bound figure) takes it's momentum and pounds the things head into the wall. In the process more of the wall comes crumbling down on top of them.

From Nix's player
    I'll release my spell at the two figures not engaged by tiny.
  • Posted By: akooserGB Steve: I picked falling because it seemed interesting and reasonable. The falling on the floor sits in the fiction unless someone else picks up on it and uses it.
    Falling's probably interesting at most twice, after that it's comedy. But I'm not sure what you mean by the second sentence, How does someone use it?
  • GBSteve
    A player can use it if someone wants to ask for a bonus die because of the person being down. Or maybe Squall wants to drop a torch on the creature. If no one uses it then the creature gets up and keeps going.
  • Nix readied and cast a spell of Sleep targeting the two figures and not the one being smashed into the wall.

goal: using a sleep spell, force the two unengaged figures into an undesired slumber.
    but the danger is: something in their physiology makes them immune to mind affecting enchantment
    The other danger is the spell works but has an unintended side effect of waking something else up

Nix's player rolled 3d6 and got 6,2,5

6 was assigned to the goal, 5 to the first danger, and 2 to the second danger.

So two of the creatures go down to a sleep spell but something else woke up. We also established that the creatures aren't immune to sleep.