[Panty Explosion] Schoolgirl name signs!

edited April 2009 in Story Games
Every now and then I feel a bit clever. The last time it happened was when I came up with the idea to combine school name signs (you know, the folded paper ones you put on your desk?) and premade characters for playing Panty Explosion at conventions (or at home for that matter). John Harper's probably to blame in some respect since he's got us all thinking about neat little layout tricks.

Printed and folded, my schoolgirl name sign looks like this:

It's a bit hard to see but the most vital part is five pairs of traits where you pick either or: half of them are pretty regular "good girl" traits and while the other half should give a little more friction (I've noticed that characters that are too nice can be a problem in Panty Explosion). At least two should be from the later category I think You just underline or circle the ones you choose. None of them contradicts each other so they can all be used as character inspiration/background even if you only actually have five of them.

The strongest element is set but the rest of the elemental dice the player can distribute freely. I also decided not to include Agendas since I think that might be the most important part of the game. (I also suck at coming up with good Agendas)

The whole idea was to give the players a chance to at least co-create their characters and to help them easily keep track of those funny names that the other characters have. I'd also encourage the players to doodle stuff on the front of the sign - things that signal what their character is like.

Now, I've babbled enough. Here's a pdf that includes five almost-ready-to-play Schoolgirl name signs!

Schoolgirl name signs

(format is A4 - if there's need for a letter sized version, just poke me)

Comments

• this is cool. i really want to play this game some time. one reason i haven't is because one of my friends, while generally pretty easy going and willing to try any game at least once, is one of those guys that says "I don't wanna play a girl." though he'd probably still be willing to give the game a shot, i just haven't pushed hard for it yet.
  • I like it. Do you print them on cardstock? This seems like it would work absolutely great for a game where you could sequester all the stuff you needed to modify in play to the bottom third, used the middle third (facing the player) for a rules summary or background info, and the top third for the outward-facing name and photo.
  • This is an impressive idea for a character sheet, indeed. Like it.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarI like it. Do you print them on cardstock? This seems like it would work absolutely great for a game where you could sequester all the stuff you needed to modify in play to the bottom third, used the middle third (facing the player) for a rules summary or background info, and the top third for the outward-facing name and photo.
    I've only tried it with the flimsy paper that my school has in their printers/xerox machines so far... and I immediately felt it should be printed on something a bit sturdier, even the copy paper I have here at home would have been much better. Cardstock might happen in the future.

Yeah, keeping everything you need to modify in play on the bottom third would be ideal. It was my goal here as well but popularity slipped up into the middle third anyway.
  • This looks great. What if you put the die type next to each popularity level?

-Grant
  • totally genius.

your design is brilliant, thank you for sharing it!

and the pick-from-a-list quick char gen for PE lends itself very nicely, too.
  • edited April 2009
    Posted By: jackson teguand the pick-from-a-list quick char gen for PE lends itself very nicely, too.
    Thanks for all the kind words!

Yeah, I thought it be a good fit so that the players could feel more involved than if you just handed them a fully prepared PC. At first I was just picking traits more at random and then, when I got to the third girl, I realized it would be much more fun to make this division between "smooth" and "rough" traits. I've been the goody two shoes of our online campaign so I know how you might end up a little outside the picture if no one can see a reason to have a conflict with you and you don't see a reason to pick a fight with anyone else. Then I rewrote and changed around until I thought I got a decent mix.

Also: All the character art is done by a guy from my online gaming group, Dr_Graevling. I told him a bit about my idea and two days later I got a batch with all five ready to go. I don't think he lurks over here but still; thanks again Micke!
  • These are really fantastic. I think I'll be using these in my con games from now on. Do you mind if I put a link up on the Panty Explosion site?

Jake
  • No I certainly don't mind; I'd be glad if you did. They're made to be used.
  • Anders, that's fantastic. I'm inspired!

Apologies for the crappy camera phone photos:
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
  • Thanks, John! It's really nice to spark some creativity.

That looks really neat. I never even thought about how I should use the space, I just divided it in thirds and got to it. Your solution is a lot smarter IMO.
  • edited April 2009
    It's easy to refine once you get the ball rolling! Feeding off of each others' creativity for inspiration rocks.

After making the name sign / character sheets I couldn't stop myself and made Dogs relationship map and town template creation sheets:

• Damn these are nice. I really hope to use something similar at a con very soon!
  • This is really smart. Stolen.
  • Posted By: jenskotAfter making the name sign / character sheets
    Nice! Any chance you have a link to the PC sheet too, or did I miss it above?

Also, the PX sheet is very useful, too!
  • edited May 2009
    I do but it is filled with my own personal Dogs hacks!!! Email me at jenskot AT gmail DOT com and I will send you the word doc so you can omit any house rules. Also let me know if you use any of this. Especially the town templates! I hope they are useful.
  • I used the above Dogs relationship map and town template yesterday and I was able to create a full fledged town after the characters were made in 30 minutes. The lists of example themes, roles, pride, and sins helped!
  • edited May 2009
    John, it looks like you set your fold at about two inches. I tried that out and it's a really good size, leaving a 4.5" "work area" on a letter-size sheet. And the smaller name tag side means it works fine with regular paper.
  • edited May 2009
    The top is around 2 inches, middle around 3, and the bottom around 5. By having the top and middle unequal, it slopes the middle part (the rules reference) lower so it is easier to read.

The PDF can be download below. Please ignore my numerous Dogs hacks!
  • Anders, that's freaking brilliant. I'm sorry I'm late to the back-patting (found this in a very round-about way), but I am so using this for our base character sheet in Diaspora now. I love you.
  • John, that Dogs in the Vineyard thing is amazing.
    Especially the part at the bottom, that reads:

THEMES: abuse of power, abuse of rights, adultery, blasphemy, broken communities, broken families, cannibalism, classism, corruption of body, corruption of mind, corruption of spirit,
    crisis of faith, cultism, death and sorrow, demons, depression, disease, drink and gluttony, drug abuse, famine, gender roles, gentrification, greed, guilt, inbreeding, inequality, injustice,
    jealousy, judgment and punishment, lies/gossip, loneliness, lust, murder, pain, paganism, plague, polygamy, pride, racism, secrets, sexism, sexual abuse, sexual perversion, sin,
    slavery, suicide, temptation, terrorism, unethical businesses, violence, war, wrath
    ROLES: king of life, steward, father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, lover, ancients, dogs, dog in training, mountain people, territorial authority, farmer, blacksmith, barrel-maker,
    shoemaker, miller, carpenter, midwife, potter, baker, doctor, lawyer, teacher, shop owner
    PRIDE: you know better than others, you deserve what others have or more than others, you don’t have to earn what you want, you’re above the rules, you’re
    role/responsibilities/promises are not important, others should be prideful like you, someone should be denied access to their role, power should be yours without responsibility, sex
    should be yours without love, those in need don’t deserve your help, it is your right to exploit others
    SIN: violence without just cause, sex with someone you aren’t married to, lying, cheating, stealing, profiting from another’s misfortune, breaking up the community, blasphemy,
    paganism, turning to demons for favors, dress immodestly, smoke tobacco, drink liquor, use vulgar language, neglect duties.
  • Thanks Joe!

In non convention games I like to have everyone make characters, then make a town in 20 minutes before we play based on those characters. So I needed to put together as many aids as possible to help speed through the process.
  • Rats! I did the same thing at a recent playtest and I thought I was being all kinds of clever. :P
  • In terms of the folded character sheets, one thing I noticed is that half the players unfold them and lay them flat. When asked why, they weren't sure and just did it without thinking. It might be a design issue. Maybe if the different folds had clearly distinct feels.
  • Playing around with this for Diaspora (FATE based). The big thing about FATE for me is that the ref needs to see the Aspects almost as much as the player does, so they are on the front...
    ...and the back. The vertical facing the player is all write-once stuff (skills and stunts). The flat portion is changeable stuff (and the Aspects which aren't really).
    The cat can smell the flash warming up I think.
  • Great job Brad! I like how bold each entry item is. Especially the bounding boxes. The background where it says diaspora is also quite nice.
  • edited June 2009
    Posted By: HalfjackAnders, that's freaking brilliant. I'm sorry I'm late to the back-patting (found this in a very round-about way), but I am so using this for our base character sheet in Diaspora now. I love you.
    You know, love and back-patting are both timeless things so you're just as welcome now. Unfortunately I can't see your Dispora sheet for some reason. I'd love to see what you came up with!
  • Now even I've gotten to see what Brad cooked up and man... I'm glad I was first cus all'y'all's sheets look much sharper.

I agree with John, the background and the boxes great (well the whole thing is great, their just a bit greater). I haven't played FATE but I'm definitely familiar with why it's so useful to keep track of what aspects (or similar things) that the (other) players have. Having them up front is the perfect thing. Good idea!