Games Information's 100 rpgs you should play before you die.

edited April 2009 in Story Games
Paul Czega posted this over in the things to watch for April and it generated enough comment that I thought it needed it's own thread.

Here's the link: http://www.gamesinfodepot.com/blog/roleplaying-games/100-pen-and-paper-roleplaying-games-you-should-play-before-you-die/

I have some questions, because I find this kind of thing interesting.
How many have you played?
Is this a good list?
Are the categories relevant?
Does this look like a listof favorites from a wider grouping to you, or was the author's play experience too narrow to really make a decent list out of? (I realize this one is pure speculation).

Comments

• I've played 41 of them and I own about another 10 or so that I haven't played.
    It's not a good list for Story Gamers.
    It seems to me that they came up with the 10 categories and then looked around for games to fill them up but it is on the whole very trad so who knows, the author might well have played them all. But it's certainly not a best of.
  • The comments on the games are pretty amusing in places. I especially like number 3: "Tunnels & Trolls - A rules system that is so brilliantly narrativist that a lot of people still don’t get it."

But of course a list this long is bound to be pretty meaningless, especially as it's not annotated with any sort of argumentation for the original claims - why are these games you have to play before you die? The list doesn't seem particularly educational for a designer or rpg historian (too much dross for that sort of thing), so perhaps it's just a list of games somebody likes. Not that interesting, ultimately.
  • Seems to me, like most Top X Lists, it's mostly about provoking fan response and getting people to be indignant that their favorite isn't there, driving up page views.

That said: I'm indignant that My Life With Master isn't there.
  • I disagree, Sage, I don't think this was posted to get a rise out of anyone. I'm pretty sure this is a list of personal favorites.

Also, GB Steve, I don't think this is much of a list for trad gamers either.
  • edited April 2009
    It's fairly representative of (the author's experience of) the hobby, but a best of it's not.

I guess I'd like it to be... but then there has to be some sort of critical appraisal of the games to make it as such. I.e., not just saying what they are.

Anyone want to roll a d100 and commit to run the game that comes up? (heads up... 95 is Rifts, and 43 is (wince) Werewolf: The Wild West. Although to be fair, I'd probably rather run either of these than D&D right now.)
  • Posted By: OgremarcoI disagree, Sage, I don't think this was posted to get a rise out of anyone. I'm pretty sure this is a list of personal favorites.

Also, GB Steve, I don't think this is much of a list for trad gamers either.
    Well, maybe I presented it in a bit of a confrontational mode, but I don't see much of a point to a list like this except to make people discuss why game X is there and game Y isn't. The author doesn't give us much context (what games qualify? what was the criteria? who was involved?) or much justification, so it seems a little bait-ish to me.

I think I'd find it a little more palatable if it was broken down by reason to play instead of genre. Something like:

Play D&D because it's a common ground for so many people.

As it is, the list just tells me it's "fun."
  • It is hard to believe that the 100 best games would fall neatly into genre categories of 10 each. I think the author knows this and just picked a provacative title. But that being said, his choices within each 10 aren't necessarily the best either.

But how would anyone, today, be able to pick even the 10 best games? Who has time to play all the RPGs that are out there today? I try to grab as broad a range as possible, but I know there's lots out there I might never have time/money/people to play. And those could be the best!
  • edited April 2009
    Compare and contrast to this, its possible inspiration: http://www.gnomestew.com/hot-buttons/the-12-rpgs-every-gamer-should-play-before-they-die

Surprisingly, Rifts makes 'em both.
  • edited April 2009
    If I've played one of Runequest, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, or Basic Roleplaying (got its own entry), do I really need to have played them all?

That list is completely irrelevant to the current state of roleplaying games.

Edit: I found it amusing the link for Unknown Armies went to this site.
  • I'd much rather have some sort of list of types of things to do, like play some sort of complex universal system with a point buy chargen to a level of competency, and play a d&d style game with maps and rooms and stuff to kill and loot, play a game that's more about story collaboration than about character authority. That kind of thing.

It seems that these lists are too hung upon individual games and don't seem to have any ideaof what things said games actually do.

As an example criticism of this list, why the fuck would I play Hero System when I've played years of GURPS? The differences are quite slim, and I'm not really going learn anything new.
  • I never knew there were so many games I don't want to play!
  • Posted By: Millsy

Anyone want to roll a d100 and commit to run the game that comes up? (heads up... 95 is Rifts, and 43 is (wince) Werewolf: The Wild West. Although to be fair, I'd probably rather run either of these than D&D right now.)
    I rolled a 10, which is Empire of the Petal Throne, which is something I've wanted to play for a long time. Hrm...perhaps at GPNW?
  • I rolled 39, which is Dogs. I might have an opportunity to try it next week at Sweden's biggest rpg convention. Very appropriate!
  • HOW DARE THEY LEAVE OFF MY FAVORITE GAME
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarHOW DARE THEY LEAVE OFF MY FAVORITE GAME
    To be fair, that is an atrocious list.
  • Posted By: northerainPosted By: Jason MorningstarHOW DARE THEY LEAVE OFF MY FAVORITE GAME
    To be fair, that is anatrociouslist.

Ah Mr. Morningstar, how well you hold a mirror up and allow us to gaze on our own beastly visage.
  • To be fair, that is anatrociouslist.
    To be fair, the list isn't the "100 Best RPGs EVAR!!!!!" It's a representative sample, or at least that's what it sounds like it's supposed to be. And it seems like the distribution of trad/indie is pretty much how it is in the hobby as a whole, so I don't have a problem with that.
  • I remember playing ICE's Middle Earth game when I was young. I went into a tavern and beat up an elf for drinking cider, which is funny, 'cause that's what I drink now... in fact THAT IS WHAT I AM DRINKING RIGHT NOW!!!

But frankly, I'd have to switch to the (much) harder stuff if I was forced to play all 100 of these games before I die. To be fair, I've only played about 22 of these games, but there's only 5 or 6 more that I would actually consider playing... and I regret playing at least half of the 22 I have played...
  • Posted By: Andrew MorrisTo be fair, that is anatrociouslist.
    To be fair, the list isn't the "100 Best RPGs EVAR!!!!!" It's a representative sample, or at least that's what it sounds like it's supposed to be. And it seems like the distribution of trad/indie is pretty much how it is in the hobby as a whole, so I don't have a problem with that.

The title is ''100 rpgs you should play before you die''. Why should I play ''Starship Troopers'' again?
  • edited April 2009
    You all realize this is the first post on a blog that looks a heck of a lot like a link aggregration for profit thing, right? Sketchy.

Anyway, anyone who says you should play Donjon before you die is a moron. Not to be overly self-effacing, but if you asked me to play Donjon with you and you are not a sexy lady that is already carrying my child, I'd say no.
  • With that said, the Durham 3 have decided to play all of these in order. Look for the podcasts!
  • Posted By: Ogremarcowhy the fuck would I play Hero System when I've played years of GURPS?
    Well, because the former is better, more flexible, and completely self-contained. The former is a splat-book writer's wet dream (and you accountant's nightmare).
  • The title is ''100 rpgs you should play before you die''. Why should I play ''Starship Troopers'' again?
    Well, you wouldn't. You've already played it.
  • Posted By: David ArtmanPosted By: Ogremarcowhy the fuck would I play Hero System when I've played years of GURPS?
    Well, because the former is better, more flexible, and completely self-contained. The former is a splat-book writer's wet dream (and you accountant's nightmare).

I'm completely unconvinced. I used to put one over the other, but now I don't really see it.
  • edited April 2009
    Posted By: ClintonYou all realize this is the first post on a blog that looks a heck of a lot like a link aggregration for profit thing, right? Sketchy.
    I hadn't noticed that, but now that you mention it. Hmm. Nice point, fellow Clinton.

Oh, and I hope you aren't just joking about new Durham 3 episodes. I really miss you guys.