Stuff to Watch: April 2009

Comments

• Posted By: sage The amusing part was the location of the island, which is apparently 20-some miles West of Seattle. Around here, we call that 'dry land.'
    [4] No Sequim is an Island?
  • Gnavpotveksler translates roleplaying game scenarios, starting with the Otto winners at Fastaval 2009. This might be your big entry into the Danish scenario tradition.
  • Or if you're not keen on the old-school dungeon design contest, you could enter the 1km1kt.net/Free RPG Blog 24 hour RPG Competition.
  • Posted By: Mr. TeapotOr if you're not keen on the old-school dungeon design contest, you could enter the1km1kt.net/Free RPG Blog 24 hour RPG Competition.
    [2] It's not strictly old school. It has both old school and "new school" categories, with appropriate(ish) prizes for each.
  • edited April 2009
    Posted By: Olle JonssonGnavpotveksler translates roleplaying game scenarios, starting with the Otto winners at Fastaval 2009. This might be your big entry into the Danish scenario tradition.
    It now has a wiki, for coordinating the translation efforts. This is where you could sign up as a "English word-lady" or "Grammar guy", and so forth.

Wiki!
  • Over 10,000,000,000 Covenant scum killed in HALO 3 so far.

And you thought the kill counts in 3:16 were high...
  • A handy shirt or poster with everything you need to know if you get stuck in the past.
  • Posted By: sageA handyshirtorposterwith everything you need to know if you get stuck in the past.
    This is the most practical gift I have ever seen.
  • I just blogged about the relatively new "design small" trend and I'm very interested to hear what other people think of it.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonI just blogged aboutthe relatively new "design small" trendand I'm very interested to hear what other people think of it.
    It seems the logical extension of the "indie ethic", if there can be said to be one. Eventually there are just too many damn games to buy and play, and people go back to focusing design on their own groups. This is viewing things in one very narrow way, of course, but I think there's some truth to it.
  • That talk I did at Interesting Portland is up. Sound's a bit poor in this version - a more "official" one may be coming, but maybe not, so...
  • Posted By: misubaThat talk I did at Interesting Portland is up.Sound's a bit poor in this version - a more "official" one may be coming, but maybe not, so...
    Check this out. It was really fun to be there, and see how well Mike presented SG's to that particular crowd.
  • Posted By: hanselPosted By: Jonathan WaltonI just blogged aboutthe relatively new "design small" trendand I'm very interested to hear what other people think of it.
    It seems the logical extension of the "indie ethic", if there can be said to be one. Eventually there are just too many damn games to buy and play, and people go back to focusing design on their own groups. This is viewing things in one very narrow way, of course, but I think there's some truth to it.

D'oh. Wish I'd read that before I started the Braunstein thread.
  • edited April 2009
    We at Otherworld Miniatures and Fight On! are still hoping for more submissions to the

eo3a.png

art challenge. Judged by Erol himself! Submissions can be sent to iggyumlaut@gmail.com and are due Sunday, May 3.

All artists are invited to submit a picture on one of the following themes:

- The Adventure Takes a Surprising Twist
    - One Charge Left
    - Overland

By Erol's Command, Any Style, Any Media, and Any Freaking Thing Goes!

Winning Entries will be published in Fight On! and awarded PRIZES in separate Color and B&W categories, as follows:

1st Prize: Up to £ 50 worth of Otherworld's magnificent minis, or a full year's (four issue) print subscription to Fight On!, or $50 cash

2nd Prize: Up to £ 30 worth of Otherworld miniatures, or a half year's (two issue) print subscription to Fight On!, or $25 cash

3rd Prize: Up to £ 20 worth of Otherworld's fantastic figurines, or a full year's PDF subscription to Fight On!, or $10 cash

Honorable Mention: Free PDF of the issue of Fight On! in which your work is published.

The six 1st-3rd prizewinners will also receive Erol's commentary on their work, published along with the image in Fight On! (Winning color images will be covers of upcoming issues.) That's six top prizes in all, three in each category! You can see Otherworld's product line at http://www.otherworld.me.uk/, and check out Fight On! at http://stores.lulu.com/FightOn.

Better yet, all artists submitting retain ownership of their own work. Fight On! asks only for the right to publish winners in a future issue of the magazine and for artists not to post their submitted work on-line in any form (including for sale in other PDF products) for six months after the conclusion of the contest. They may re-submit or re-sell to print venues immediately and to on-line venues six months after the contest's conclusion, and in general ownership and all rights except the delay in on-line posting/publication and Fight On!'s right to publish your image in a future issue of the magazine remain with the artist.

So artists - let's see what you've got! Please send submissions to iggyumlaut@gmail.com by Sunday, May 3, 2009 to be considered. Thank you!
  • edited April 2009
    When I look at Patton Oswalt's "Statham-ized" screeners, I can't help but think he's been playing some wicked Story Games...
  • Apologies if this has been posted before and I just missed it.

Red Box Hack is no more.
  • [2] I found your video via Willem's Twitter stream, Mike--amazing! I've sent it around to everyone with whom I've ever had that awkward conversation trying to explain what I mean by "storyjamming," and all the people who know me from my interests in sustainability and can't understand why I'd "waste" so much time on games. Thank you! The existence of that video has already made my life easier.
  • [3] Wow, Mike! That was a great talk. Seemed very accessible to me. Now I'm gonna go peruse your notes.
  • Toor Camp is being held in a TITAN--1 MISSILE SILO near Moses Lake, Washington, 3 hours east of Seattle.

Man, how great would that be as a site for a Go Play or Nerdly Base Zero? Perhaps with all post-apocalyptic games: Morrow Project, Summerland, TMP/Summerland, OctaNe, Aftermath (really?), Twilight 2000, Bliss Stage, Breaking the Ice, etc. And the Titan boardgame is back in print so there could even be that.
  • Posted By: merb101Red Box Hack is no more.
    [1] That would be RBH3 will not be. RBH2 is still here for the world to enjoy.
  • [1] I want that as a t-shirt.
  • I smell a Jason Morningstar-designed game coming up about this.
  • [1] Damn it, I have an ancient unfinished game about those guys already. Chris, I give it to you. It is yours. Arf!
  • edited April 2009
    Clive Thompson was on NPR's On The Media last week talking about game design, the rise of the indie video game designers, and the business of gaming.

http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2009/04/17/07

I dig this quote:

"Designing a game is like designing a constitution for a country. You have to think through human behavior and what your rules are going to do."
  • edited April 2009
    [War Dogs: 2] There are treasures buried out there in the wilds of Google Docs.

That flavor text is hot, Jason.
  • Raph Koster Raph Koster's blog an interesting diagram/poster of A Model of Play poster. Nits can, of course, be picked, but I am a sucker for visual breakdowns like this.
  • [War Dogs 3]Really digging the factions element of the game. Bears some similarity to a game I've been toying with about revolutions. Sweet stuff.
  • [Model of Play 1] Wow, that's really cool. The step by step PDF is especially good. I think this ties in with roleplaying really well.
  • [Model of Play 2] On that same site they have a Model of Brand...it sooo was not what I was hoping it would be...
  • The PDF of Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies is up at RPGNow/DriveThru.
  • Maid RPG is now available in print form again at Indie Press Revolution. The price has been adjusted, so now the print and PDF version is a combo purchase.

-Andy
  • I'd add to the list the new, just published Knutepunkt book which, while mostly on larp, contains lots of ideas that are relevant to story gaming, as well as some tabletop gaming articles. And it's already online for free download. (And it looks really pretty.) Rumor also has it that last year's book, which includes such seemingly impossible things as a solid summary of essential Forge theory (written by Emily), will make its appearance online next month.
  • I am on RPG Countdown, talking about The Dying Of St Margaret's, which was the 4th bestselling thing on RPG.NOW over the last two weeks.

Also worth listening for the unintentionally hilarious over-the-topness of the podcast.

Graham
  • edited April 2009
    Have you cats seen the trailer for the Mutant Chronicles movie? Looks pretty terrible but Malkovich and Perlman in an RPG-based film?
  • Are Indie RPGs the next hot collectables? I wonder what I could get for my Nine Worlds comb-bound ultra-rare!
  • [1] My guess is that some folks have decided that Dogs is out of print due to Vincent moving back to personal distribution, which makes it a collector's item, even though it's still in print and will continue to be, probably, forever. Your Move Games in Somerville told me they couldn't get it from IPR anymore and didn't know what to do. People make assumptions based on the limited information they have.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonHave you cats seenthe trailer for the Mutant Chronicles movie? Looks pretty terrible but Malkovich and Perlman in an RPG-based film?
    I've seen the movie. If you've played the RPG (which I have. And the boardgame. And the CCG. And, once, the wargame), you get terribly disappointed. Of the great doomtroopers, only two are original, and the Dark Legion has been made into a zombie horde. Whatever happened to the nepharites? The ezhoghuols? The razids? The fuckin' Dark Apostles? And there are no colonies on other planets? Also, no Cybertronics or Imperials. And no hugely oversized shoulder plates. So, yeah, sort-of-cool movie, but RPG-based is a stretch. Basically, a couple of the names are from the RPG.

Damn, this makes me wanna play the old Mutant Chronicles RPG.

Sorry for the rant. The movie is actually kinda cool.
  • edited April 2009
    Paizo's new Pathfinder Paper Minis line offers us a glimpse into a marvelous alternate universe in which D&D actually had really hip, progressive art direction to appeal to a contemporary audience (i.e. less of an "post-Conan oil painting" look and more like the work of recent Canadian art school graduates). Plus the minis are badass.
  • Posted By: Simon_Pettersson
    Damn, this makes me wanna play the old Mutant Chronicles RPG.
    [2]

I'm actually quite interested in the new one (because of the new iteration of the setting), if it ever gets published.
  • Tsugihagi Honbo has put up info on Nechronica: The Long, Long Sequel, the newest game by Ryo Kamiya, the designer of Maid RPG. Here's my quick translation of the info on the website, but basically you play as dead girls in a post-apocalyptic world, trying to survive despite the dangers thrown at you at the whims of the necromancer who created you for his own amusement.