Stuff to Watch: April 2009

edited April 2009 in Stuff to Watch
(posting Apr Fools jokes here is punishable by death)

Designers take note: this is how you teach a game.

Comments

• [1] YES! So good to see that getting some love. Willem & I have been going back and forth on this for a while now, and I've taken it as an important principle for my own game. Not that anyone who played it at Dreamation would know, but I think I'll have such a version ready to play at Camp Nerdly.

I also posted the most recent episode of The Myth Weavers, in which Willem, Fen & I compare notes on how this method has worked with Polaris--one example in our actual play in the episode prior, two examples from games Willem ran at GameStorm, and one I got to run with a live, table-top group last weekend. Overall verdict: we think we're on to something here.
  • [1] Wow, I've only played 22 of those.
  • [2] Play only 99. Once you play the 100th game, it's over.
  • [3] Primetime Adventures is not on the list, but the Starship Troopers RPG is. Seriously. This officially makes it the worst list of anything, ever.
  • edited April 2009
    Not a terribly good list. I don't suppose they've played many of them.
  • [4] I'm starting a new thread to discuss this, as it apperently needs it.
  • Adam the Robot Scientists performs novel scientific research

As, in it formulated and then tested a new hypothesis, and in doing so made a discovery not known to science. How utterly awesome is that?
  • [1] Awesome until he comes up with the hypothesis "Humans are tasty."
  • [2] On the other hand, he's not mobile, so even then he's only going to feast on those who choose to wander close and taunt him
  • 8 simple ways to improve Typography in your design. This specifically is addressing CSS, but is general enough to help with thinking about text layout.
  • An actual play (a positive one!) from the new Jaws of the Six Serpents game:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=10200116
  • Where's Waldo? Apparently dead on Mars - check out this wonderful pareidolia image (lower left).
  • I chat briefly about Mortal Coil on Pulp Gamer Out of Character podcast. Might also be interesting for the main topic, Controversial Games. Mortal Coil discussion at approximately 19:20.
  • "I Need to Read This" is a service that allows you to bookmark blogs, websites, articles, etc. that you do not have time to read now, but don't want to bookmark in your browser.
  • Posted By: Jason Morningstarcheck out this wonderful pareidolia image (lower left)
    I think that might be his hat above the skull... But, don't get Richard Hoagland started on this...
  • Interesting Portland is in two days, where Mike Sugarbaker will be talking to an audience of (what I think will be) hipsters about story games.
  • I've posted up the nifty D&D4e character and monster cards that a friend of mine made.
  • Posted By: hanselInteresting Portlandis in two days, where Mike Sugarbaker will be talking to an audience of (what I think will be) hipsters about story games.
    [1] I really have no idea who the audience is, nor if there will be one to speak of - I'm not seeing the event being promoted anywhere. But I guess it can't be worse than the GameStorm panels I was on.
  • [2] Hadn't thought of that. Hope it's not only my girlfriend and I! It seems like it caters to the young, educated, and self-styled intelligently hip.
  • Continuing from last month's WTF, D&D: The Monster Manual... WTF, D&D: Deities and Demigods.
  • edited April 2009
    The Walking Eye, did an actual play (1hr 22m) , a follow up discussion(34m) and then a long wandering interview with me (1hr 30m), all centered around my Silence Keeps Me a Victim trashcan.

They had a hard time with the game, and reining in my run-on speaking. I talk some smack about story-games forums, and start a war with Gregor Hutton, who bitch slaps me later on my secret website. Good times.
  • I don't really like them but in light of the WotC PDF clamp-down, White Wolf is giving away the PDF of Exalted 2e for free. Might as well jump on it.
  • [1] Not even for free.
  • This makes me want to play In a Wicked Age. Pure inspiration.
  • [2] re: D&D pdf clampdown, an astute slashdot poster writes:

"WotC is such a small part of Hasbro that there is very little that they could do with through WotC that would be shooting themselves in the foot (and shooting WotC in the foot is meaningless, WotC isn't an independent entity.) I suspect, also, that WotC, or at least D&D, has been disappointing to Hasbro since the acquisition, and has never been profitable enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are at the point where desperate moves that are perceived as having some (though low) probability of improving the profitability in that area are warranted prior to simply cutting their losses and moving the resources elsewhere or simply not expending them at all anymore in a cost-cutting move. IOW, this may well be a natural part of Hasbro proving to themselves that D&D (except, perhaps, in the online-game form) simply cannot be salvaged as something profitable enough for them."
  • I've spent the last three days teaching myself to hack 16-bit art together from SNES/Gameboy Advance graphics. Check out my third attempt, below. I have no idea why folks haven't mined this artstyle/scene for RPG art before, what with Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. Are there examples that I've missed?

• [1] Too new school. I'll be doing ASCII art, a la NetHack or Rogue or ToME, for ASCII @HACK.

Still... cool idea. I've seen a few web comics built around 16-bit graphics stripped from older games (up to and including Ultima Online).
  • [2] Jonathan Walton, that is rad.
  • [3] RE: D&D pdf clampdown and slashdot poster:

Is WOTC really that unprofitable? I thought 4e was selling like gangbusters.
  • its more of a , how much did they spend on it to begin with, how long had 3.x been doing crappy, and how small Dnd is in comparison to almost anything else Hasbro does (Does Dnd even get a line in the annual report?)

Logos
  • For reference, Hasbro has about 3-4 Billion in annual sales each year (2008 = 4.02bn)
  • [2] It's mentioned three times in the 2008 annual report, each time like this:

"Our games and puzzles category includes several well known brands, including MILTON BRADLEY,
    PARKER BROTHERS, TRIVIAL PURSUIT, CRANIUM, AVALON HILL and WIZARDS OF THE COAST.
    These brand portfolios consist of a broad assortment of games for children, tweens, families and adults. Core
    game brands include MONOPOLY, BATTLESHIP, GAME OF LIFE, SCRABBLE, CHUTES AND
    LADDERS, CANDY LAND, TROUBLE, MOUSETRAP, OPERATION, HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS,
    CONNECT FOUR, TWISTER, YAHTZEE, CRANIUM, JENGA, SIMON, CLUE, SORRY!, RISK, BOGGLE,
    TRIVIAL PURSUIT and GUESS WHO?, as well as a line of puzzles for children and adults, including the
    BIG BEN and CROXLEY lines of puzzles. WIZARDS OF THE COAST offers trading card and role-playing
    games, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. We seek to keep our core
    brands relevant through sustained marketing programs as well as by offering consumers new ways to
    experience these brands."

So it is not remotely a big deal to Hasbro.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonI've spent the last three days teaching myself to hack 16-bit art together from SNES/Gameboy Advance graphics. Check out my third attempt, below. I have no idea why folks haven't mined this artstyle/scene for RPG art before, what with Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. Are there examples that I've missed?
    [3] Downgrade, Jonathan my boy, downgrade! 8-bit is where it's at.

Seriously though, the reason that nobody's doing that is that nobody is smart enough. I had a project sort of like that at one point, but it was strictly hobby-based. If you're not going to ride this one, expect me to steal it at some point.
  • edited April 2009
    [2] It's mentioned three times in the 2008 annual report, each time like this:

"Our games and puzzles category includes several well known brands, including MILTON BRADLEY,
    PARKER BROTHERS, TRIVIAL PURSUIT, CRANIUM, AVALON HILL and WIZARDS OF THE COAST.
    These brand portfolios consist of a broad assortment of games for children, tweens, families and adults. Core
    game brands include MONOPOLY, BATTLESHIP, GAME OF LIFE, SCRABBLE, CHUTES AND
    LADDERS, CANDY LAND, EVERYTHING BY VINCENT BAKER, TROUBLE, MOUSETRAP, OPERATION, HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS, CONNECT FOUR, TWISTER, YAHTZEE, CRANIUM, JENGA, THE SHAB AL-HIRI ROACH, SIMON, THE FORGE, CLUE, SORRY!, RISK, BOGGLE, TRIVIAL PURSUIT and GUESS WHO?, as well as a line of puzzles for children and adults, including the BIG BEN and CROXLEY lines of puzzles. WIZARDS OF THE COAST offers trading card and role-playing games, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. We seek to keep our core brands relevant through sustained marketing programs as well as by offering consumers new ways to experience these brands."

So it is not remotely a big deal to Hasbro.
    [3] I don't know, Jason. Looking through that list, I think it's great how many roleplaying games are in there.

Graham
  • I was thinking of downgrading to the original Gameboy: 8-bit graphics, 160x144 pixels (20x18 basically, in 8x8 pixel squares), limited to 4 distinct shades of green. It would be good to start with something really simple before trying to do something major.

• [1] or maybe [3]

Jonathan,

Have you written up instructions for hacking together this kind of art? Or is there a link somewhere?

thanks,
    ara
  • edited April 2009
    John Lammers is demoing his virtual tabletop, EpicTable, for the online gaming convention, FUMcon. Click the link for registration information.

EpicTable has been designed to be equally useful for playing traditional RPGs as well as indie standards. He's built it so that you can play damn near any system you like with very little effort, and his "surface" is a virtual game table that will allow you to move dice around (for games like DitV), write on index cards (for Fiasco and Universalis), and throw around fan mail.
  • Posted By: Graham

[3] I don't know, Jason. Looking through that list, I think it's great how many roleplaying games are in there.

Graham
    The juxtaposition of candy land and the shab al-hiri roach just blows my mind in its implications and possibilities.
  • Posted By: Paul CzegeWotC sues file sharers

Paul
    (1)
    Heh, been following this with half an eye. Still funny. ^_^
  • [2] Its worked out so well for all the other groups who've sued file sharers.
  • From Grognardia

Megadungeon
  • [1] Megadungeon looks sexy as all hell.
  • No idea if it's any good, but apparently John has an (imaginary) island named after him around here, and there's a show about it: Harper's Island.
  • [1] Not enough Greeks.
  • [2] So kicked off the show has moved to fiction. I have to imagine we beat them to it, but I don't remember seeing the kicked off the island rpg.
  • Vincent Baker is hosting some really interesting discussions about the relationship between fiction and physical-world-stuff in RPGs on his blog. In particular, this conversation leads up to his argument for fiction affecting real-world stuff (such as escalation in Dogs in the Vineyard, where a purely fictional thing has an effect on your character sheet).

Plus, there are cute diagrams.

3 Resolution Systems
    Scale, Depth, Clouds, Dice
    cloud-to-cloud
    A Moment of Judgment
  • [3] I watched the premier of Harper's Island, and it wasn't horrible, and was kind of entertaining, in a B-movie-ish way. The amusing part was the location of the island, which is apparently 20-some miles West of Seattle. Around here, we call that 'dry land.'