System for Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver

edited February 2009 in Story Games
Anyone ever played any of the games in the Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver series? I'm wondering what system might suit it best.

I'm not sure what parts of it I'm wanting emulated, but I'm betting a discussion of it would help cement that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• From what I remember of the games, it seems D&D 4E would suit your needs pretty well. Crazy abilities, wide varieties of monsters and powers, focus on combat, it all points to 4E!
  • Yeah but 4E doesn't really support a limited amount of protagonists. At most, in LOK: Defiance, you only had two real protagonists at any given time, you know?
  • someone on rpg.net awhile ago was speculating on doing a Legacy of Kain game using Houses of the Blooded. It sounded like it might have potential.
  • GURPS!

Really, Story Games? You're supposed to be the smart one in the family.
  • Posted By: Jared A. SorensenReally, Story Games? You're supposed to be the smart one in the family.
    Which family is that? And what are the other members supposed to be?
  • Houses is interesting. It would definitely get the long lived political thing down, from what I've read.

Jared, just to spurn you, I'll play it using FreeMarket.
  • I have always had a desire to run Soul Reaver using Sorcerer's supplement Charnel Gods, but I have never gotten around to it.
  • Dirty Secrets- single protagonist, go around, talk to your buddies turned horrid things, find out what happened/will happen/will happen again, get beat up a lot.

Obviously, you'll have to tweak demographics a lot.
  • I've got this post in my head that I need to work out in the next week or so. I'm playing Persona 4 now, and having a lot of fun: And between Persona 3 and 4, I see an awesome role-playing-game type of fun to be had.

But the problem is that, for all their awesome trappings, they are one-player games. That's the way the world is set up. Making it a world for more than one (significant) player means coming to the point where you may have to unravel everything that makes that game special. Certainly it's the case of Persona, of Final Fantasy X, and other single-player console/PC games that I love.

But there might be some ideas behind Solid Methods to break up a single-player console game experience into a multi-player RPG...

-Andy
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyHouses is interesting. It would definitely get the long lived political thing down, from what I've read.
    Yeah, that's that the person on rpg.net was figuring. It sounded like Houses was the choice there, but the person had posted looking for input on what the "house Virtue" of each family of Kain's lieutenants should be. IIRC, the numbers even work out. Kain had 6 major lieutenants, didn't he?
  • Yeah, but even if he didn't have it right, I wouldn't feel bound to play in a totally accurate Nosgoth. I just want, I think, gigantic political wars between dying gods, alien demons and balance reckoning vampires solved by a time traveling soul eating living sword.

Heh, maybe I'll just wallow in nostalgia. That's a weird damn game.
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyHouses is interesting. It would definitely get the long lived political thing down, from what I've read.

Jared, just to spurn you, I'll play it using FreeMarket.

We tried. You can't.