[The Five] Post Your Favorite Playlists

edited January 2009 in Directed Promotion
First, thank you to everyone that's shown an interest in The Five! The response has been awesome!

In Kevin's thread, I've already seen a couple of suggestions for tracks or artists that should be represented in a playlist. I'd like to ask anyone who's interested to create a playlist of tracks for a game of The Five.

Kevin, John and I will select our favorite one(s) for inclusion in the final game (with credit, of course!). More importantly, I'd love to get turned on to some cool hip hop that I haven't heard before or to be reminded of something awesome I haven't heard in years! The turntables are yours...

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Jurassic 5 - Red Hot
    Jurassic 5 - What's Golden
    Jedi Mind Tricks - Uncommon Valor *
    Jedi Mind Tricks - Henry the 8th *
    Jeru Da Damaja - Ya Playing Yourself *
    Chali 2na with Dan the Automator: Anchorman (live if possible)
    DJ Honda/Mos Def - Travellin' Man (actually, more a song than hip hop, but man.... ... ...hot) *
    DJ Honda - On the Mic *
    DJ Honda - Out for the Cash *
    Onyx - Shut Em' Down *
    Onyx - Raze It Up (grindhouse gangsta rap is fun at times) *
    M.O.P. - Ante Up *
    Outlawz - Real Talk *

(* == certifiably from the East Coast, if not "East Coast Style")

And oh yeah, I'm gonna go there, to the Far East Coasts:

DJ Oasis - Change the Game
    K Dub Shine - Ore ha Ore オレはオレ
    KACTA (Caste) - Goryachee
    SERYOGA - Mel Sudbi
    K Dub Shine - Save the Children
    Zeebra - Street Dreams
    King Giddra - 911

-Andy
  • Seth P. Brundel - Blaze of Glory
    RA Rugged Man - Walking down the street with nuts in my hand
    Mr Lif - Because they made it that way
    Jonzun Crew - Space cowboy*
    Gravediggaz - Big shot dead
    Atmosphere - God loves ugly
    Dalek - Eyes to form shadows
    Saul Williams - List of demands
    Busdriver - Unemployed black astronaut
    Da Hoodzmen - Running rampart
    Lootpack - Whenimondamic
    Public Enemy - Cold Lampin' with flavor
    Grandmaster Flash - New York New York**
    Da Brains - Axirou zaman***
    Da Fugititvz - Kepp kui bangh***
    Jurassic Five - Twelve

*I know it aint hip hop but I like it
    **Or any other Grandmaster Flash's track
    ***african rap
  • Andy, no Dragon Ash? I'm disappointed.

Unfortunately, Chinese hip-hop is only starting to not suck, so I'd be hard-pressed to create an entire playlist of it.
  • Dalëk !

Black smoke rises
    Distorted prose
    Opiate the masses
    Bricks crumble

Exhaust Guerilla Warfare

Youngblood Brass band March !
  • edited January 2009
    Posted By: KobayashiDalëk!
    I love Dalëk! I listened to Abandoned Language and Gutter Tactics a lot while writing!
  • Thanks for posting guys! I realize that I need to update the rules slightly though. We can only consider playlists of East Coast Hip Hop for the final release. That said, feel free to keep posting other stuff too. Maybe we'll add a hacks and drifts section to the Web site!
  • Here's my preliminary Eskimo playlist (I know Roots Manuva pre-dates the real arrival of grime, but he's awesome and from London so fuck it):

2001: Roots Manuva feat. Chali 2NA - Join the Dots
    2003: Basement Jaxx feat. Dizzee Rascal - Lucky Star
    2003: The Streets & Roll Deep - Let's Push This Forward
    2004: Wiley - Wot Do U Call It?
    2004: Dizzee Rascal feat. God's Gift - Hold Ya Mouf
    2005: Roll Deep - Heat Up
    2006: Gorillaz feat. Roots Manuva - All Alone
    2006: Roots Manuva - No Love
    2007: Roll Deep - Flame Grilled Whopper
    2007: Roll Deep - Celebrate
    2007: Wiley - Bow E3
    2007: Skepta feat. Trigga Spyda and Flowdan - In a Corner
    2008: Dizzee Rascal - U Can't Tell Me Nuffin'
    2008: Roll Deep - Roll Deep is Back
    2008: Roll Deep - Club 7
    2009: Skepta - Rolex Sweep
  • Posted By: KobayashiDalëk!
    They went quite a while there without saying "Exterminate", "Superior", or "Doctor". Maybe the pepper-pots are growing as a species...
  • Posted By: Thor OlavsrudPosted By: KobayashiDalëk!
    I love Dalëk! I listened to Abandoned Language and Gutter Tactics a lot while writing!

Great minds think alike ^^ Check EL-P 's I'll sleep when you're dead album, especially

Run the numbers
    Habeas corpses
    The League of extraordinay nobodies
  • If we are no longer limiting ourselves to East Coast, then I have many many playlists.
  • Posted By: Bret GillanIf we are no longer limiting ourselves to East Coast, then I have many many playlists.
    You can post playlists that aren't limited to the East Coast just for the sake of turning us on to new hip hop. But really, only playlists limited to the East Coast are useful to us for purposes of The Five.

Hey Jonathan, I'm a fan of Dizzee Rascal and The Streets, but haven't listened to either for ages, so thanks for the reminder!
  • How about some Automatic Head Detonator?
  • Posted By: Thor OlavsrudHey Jonathan, I'm a fan of Dizzee Rascal and The Streets, but haven't listened to either for ages, so thanks for the reminder!
    It's definitely worthwhile checking out the rest of the UK hip-hop scene. Dizzee originally got his start with Roll Deep, the crew put together by Wiley (arguably the originator of the grime/eskimo sound), which includes a bunch of talented MCs (Flowdan and Skepta are especially great, I think). Even outside of London there are some talented folks. Dev, I think, turned me onto the Virus Syndicate out of Manchester, who are not as consistently awesome but are definitely talented.
  • edited January 2009
    Posted By: Jonathan WaltonAndy, noDragon Ash? I'm disappointed.
    Dragon Ash is a sort of emo punk band. Basically, exactly like Linkin Park. This just happens to be one of about two hip-hop songs they do. The guy in the middle of that song who brings the rhyme ("Born in Tokyo, Raised on Hip Hop") is Zeebra, doing a cameo. ACO is also in that video, which is really cool, because she was one of the women who brought Soul music back to Japan and cranked it up to 10 (although her recent stuff is pretty psychadelic). Dragon Ash just brought two rhymes and the instruments in that piece, unfortunately.

-Andy