[Galactic] Is it available? What's the Gist of It?

edited January 2009 in Story Games
Is there a production version of Galactic out yet? I don't see anything on the Dog-Eared Designs site yet.

I have heard it mentioned as a narrative sci-fi game (something very much in my interest channel) and have seen the cover art.

Comments

• I'm also curious what about this project. I have been waiting on that since 2006 - of course I heard about ashcan, but I'm little cautious in that matter.

So Matt, have you got any good or bad news for us?

Judd, as far as I know Galactic is about relationships between members of starship crew during a mission. I have seen some sheets, but without ashcan document I can`t help you.
  • Posted By: Deckardas far as I know Galactic is about relationships between members of starship crew during a mission
    Where do I send my bars of gold? I adore games about teams and/or crews who deal with each other and with a mission. My players get mad at me always trying to create a situation where the group is a ship crew (sea, air, space, submarine, sand-skimmers, magma, whatever kind of ship you got). It just seems the situation most set to give the kind of play I enjoy.
  • Heh, me too so I have the large enormous buy-in to that project. However I'm not sure about Matt's intention. I guess there were some ashcan problems, maybe the feedback from customers wasn't enough or all game must be rewritten. Unless Matt say something about his plans we don't know nothing.

It's weird, but Galactic isn't the only one game which were designed on 2006 and haven't been publishing until now. I'm also still waiting on the Red Sky Six A.M. by Vincent Baker.
  • Also, there's a (bare-bones, unhelpful) website: galactic-rpg.com
  • I've got the ashcan and have played it a couple of times. Each player plays the captain of their own ship, plus one crewmember on each other ship. You rotate ships, as you all try to grapple with the terrible scourge that threatnes the galaxy: visiting planets, becoming entangled with their affairs, and uncovering information and resources to help battle scourge. There was a lot of coolness in it. There were also some issues, which you would expect from an ashcan.
  • I played the ashcan a few times. I found it quite fun, though there were some problems. Specifically, getting enough spotlight time for each player and their crew was difficult.
  • Where can I buy that ashcan?
    There were also some issues, which you would expect from an ashcan.
    What does it mean? Can you share some AP from your session?
  • There are APs at the Ashcan Front and at the Dog Ear Designs Forum at the Forge.

It's like PTA crossed with Polaris playing four simultaneous games of Firefly.
  • Yeah, the game has a few problems that have it shelved right now. Sometimes I look at it and think it'd be easier to start over.

It's one of those things where I'm not sure if it's very close to the game I set out to design, and I don't know what to do about that.

But Doyce Testerman loves it, and who am I to tell him he's nuts?
  • Do you think it is the assumption that everyone will want to be the captain? It seems like from what I gathered that the shuffle came from moving from crew to crew.
  • edited January 2009
    Posted By: thorIt's like PTA crossed with Polaris playing four simultaneous games of Firefly.
    OK, that pushed me over the edge. I want it. I'm going to design a game where the players simulate playing Galactic. I'll post the ashcan of the ashcan soon.
  • Is this available any where? A bit late to ask but I'd love to give it a whirl.