2009 New Years' Resolutions!

edited December 2008 in Story Games
Hey all, inspired by Andy's review of last year, I figured I'd get the ball rolling with plans for 09. My apologies if this thread, or one like it, is hiding somewhere I missed.

Anyhoo.

Since last year's goal of playtesting went profoundly well, I'm hoping to get some'a these fellers ashcanned and playtested outside my safety net. I'd like to drag Nigh, Gestalt, and Grimstone all out to several conventions, especially Gen Con. Ram and I haven't convention'd together since '01, and that's the kind of streak I'll be excited to break. First though I'll get my feet wet Hangin' With Mr. Czege in March.

I sincerely hope to play in a game locally where I have no GM-ing duties, and thoroughly enjoy the output of said play. I also would like it to not be Exalted, D&D, or oWoD. I also would like to move shit with my mind. We'll see.

If all goes accordingly, I'm going to put out my solo album, put together a new band, and tour in places with conveniently located gaming groups. I'm also going to not be doing taxes, and shed weight down to 250 (I'm a huge dude, so that's actually getting pretty durn lean on my frame). I'm also supposed to ride a motorcycle which I don't currently own up to Reaction's house to eat all his food. All his food. Here's hoping!

Your turn!

Comments

• Diaspora in print by the end of March. Call my mom.
  • 1) Finish at least one good, playable design and release it for playtest.

2) Finish at least one good, playable development project

3) Think more about what I want in a game

4) Talk less about what I don't want in a game

5) Finish my current excellent Burning Wheel campaign.

6) Start, play and finish a Burning Empires game with my all-star players

7) Take three months off all gaming entirely.

I think that's pretty much it. If I get to play some other neat little indie games, that'd be fun but I can't think of any I'd place in the coveted "new year's resolution" list.

p.
  • edited December 2008
    My 2009 resolutions are:

Do about the same amount of gaming that I've been doing this year. It's been a good year, I want to keep it up.

Run a lengthy campaign. Hellas is currently my candidate for that, possibly Vampire.

Publishing: Produce a supplement for Maid. Finish Tenra Bansho, finally. Also, finish The Ghost Killers: It's fun and playable, I just have to put the rest of the notes together in a document.

The General Gaming Scene: Promote the idea that publishing an indie/DIY game doesn't have to go the route of glossy covers, $20+ pricetags and Gen Con booths. Organize, use and promote alternate means to produce, distribute, and sell (or emphatically *NOT* sell) games that we've produced ourselves. Talk with Levi and Jonathan on those issues, as they seem to be in a very similar headspace.

-Andy
  • Posted By: AndyThe General Gaming Scene: Promote the idea that publishing an indie/DIY game doesn't have to go the route of glossy covers, $20+ pricetags and Gen Con booths. Organize, use and promote alternate means to produce, distribute, and sell (or emphatically *NOT* sell) games that we've produced ourselves. Talk with Levi and Jonathan on those issues, as they seem to be in a very similar headspace.
    I'm particularly interested in hearing how this thinking evolves over 2009.
  • Posted By: BluePosted By: AndyThe General Gaming Scene: Promote the idea that publishing an indie/DIY game doesn't have to go the route of glossy covers, $20+ pricetags and Gen Con booths. Organize, use and promote alternate means to produce, distribute, and sell (or emphatically *NOT* sell) games that we've produced ourselves. Talk with Levi and Jonathan on those issues, as they seem to be in a very similar headspace.
    I'm particularly interested in hearing how this thinking evolves over 2009.

Here, here. While I'm interested in selling some stuff on the 'zine level (it's that punk ethic of mine), I fully hope that of the three games I've got cooking, one is super glossy nice, one is stapled in my house, and one is a free pdf.

Also, Bret, Rafael, George, Matt and I are riffing on some stellar stuff. I'll let them pipe up their hopes and dreams. Really, I'm just happy to be in such pleasant company.

And I swear on a stack of these that Ryuu Tama will be translated within a year of its' proposed date. :>
  • edited December 2008
    Game more. I really, really need to hook into the local scene regularly. There are some awesome cool folks around here.
    Get my regular traditional rpg group to try some indie.
    Finish and playtest at least one game.
    Hit one con.

edit: get on the one drawing a day band wagon
  • Next year I want to:

- Finish the Burning Wheel Thieves game I am running, actually finish it and not let it just run out of steam.
    - Restart up the Exalted Game I was running last year but has been on hiatus, plus ditch systems and go Heroquest (or something that resembles HQ is you squint)
    - Finally do something with Tribe 8 or Dark Sun (with either Burning Wheel or HQ)
    - Return to the local Cons and continue to go to Nerdly Beach
    - Run Sorcerer
    - Fully write up one of the many game idead I have in my head, so that it is playable. Even if it is just my SotC Star Wars Hack.
  • edited December 2008
    Smooth sailing with my Wednesday group - more PTA, more TSOY, more excellent play.

New frontiers with my Monday group - new games, more excellent play. Start podcasting again if that feels right.

Host Margaretcon III. Go to Dreamation and one other con, maybe Origins or Gen Con.

Publish Fiasco. Publish some other articles and stuff. Maybe publish Medical Hospital if it is fully baked.

Collect and share all my free stuff in one place.

Get translations underway.

Collaborate more. Revitalize cool but dormant group projects. Actively support my friends.
  • 1. Write every day
    2. Read every day
    3. Run a weekly game at least 26 times this year.

As for projects, I'm bandying about a few ideas. I keep thinking of doing a complete E6 book, and I'm working on putting together a really good maptool campaign to play some classic Final Fantasy style games with In A Wicked Age. I also have an idea for a big In A Wicked Age play aid.
  • 1. Play a bunch of awesome games with awesome people. Preferably memorable, multi-session games, not just one-shots.
    2. Design, playtest, and publish a bunch of awesome game products with awesome people.
    3. Figure out a way to facilitate theory and other meta-level (frex. social design) discussions without driving myself crazy or getting caught up on less important details that slow everything down.
    4. Figure out a way to promote non-commercial or hobby-level (i.e. as small a small business as possible) publishing with a bunch of awesome folks who have interest in non-profit or alternative publishing.
    5. Treat myself better.
    6. Continue saving the world.
  • edited December 2008
    1. Publish A Taste For Murder.
    2. Post more on Narration Rites and Bit Of A Chat.
    3. Support people who are nice.
    4. Not worry too much about designing stuff, although push ahead with Bleakworlds, if if happens.

Graham
  • 1. Have fun playing games. More Trail of Cthulhu and some Mouse Guard are planned. I am also looking forward to FreeMarket and maybe some Hot War.
    2. Support fun play events such as games on demand at Kapcon, the in planning games on demand one day con and Fright Night 3 (if that happens).
    3. Do more game design if the inspiration hits me, probably with an aim to distribute for free via pdf or at cost via lulu, but no pressure there. Main one is my fork of, or possibly 'game inspired by', red box hack.
  • 1. Play all the games I got for Christmas.
    2a. Have a hoot at the Student Nationals and get very drunk on the Saturday night
    2b. Not be outragiously hungover on the Sunday morning.
    3. Start writing my short form mech support crew LARP.
  • edited December 2008
    Non-Game:

1. Continue learning to draw/sketch/paint/make art to the point where I can participate in some art-related event (a Moleskine exchange, mail art call, or amateur exhibition?) by the end of the year.

2. Make my own luck. Plan ahead. Focus.

3. Buy (and name) a house

Game:

1. More great gaming with my indie group.

2. I can never seem to find anything I'm passionate about GMing, but for whatever reason I feel like I should be doing it from time to time. I'd like to resolve this issue somehow - by finding something I want to run, or by accepting that I just don't like DMing.

3. Get halfway towards making Polaris playable for my Japanese gaming group. (I've got 2 years to get it done).
  • 1) Compile the best collection of indie game AP recordings on the 'net. At least 10 games this year, which *must* include: Dogs in the Vineyard, Mouse Guard, Full Light Full Steam, Cold City, Misspent Youth and Dread (the Jenga one)

2) Attend Forge Midwest and GenCon

3) Meet an interview as many indie designers as possible, shoot for at least 5 good interviews..

4) Run a full length vanilla Burning Empires game with 3 players.

5) Seriously consider designing a game.
  • 1. Play lots more games.
    2. Finish at least one of the games I've been working on.
    3. Possibly get another translation of a Japanese game out into the world. Possibly.
  • 1. Go to Forge Midwest '09.

2. Go to GenCon '09.

3. Play more awesome 4e with my regular group.

4. Read all the HeroQuest books I've collected.

5. Run HeroQuest at an ENWorld Gameday. (With Mouse Guard and the possibility of Dresden Files and HERO 6th in '09, this may be harder than it sounds. Though, hopefully the second ed. of HeroQuest will also be out soon.)

6. Get better at controlling my spending habits. My gaming shelf (and my Amazon seller account) are still buckling from all my weakness of recent years.
  • 1) Have a baby.
    2) Beta playtest of Agora.
    3) Raise baby.
    4) Publish Agora.
    5) Clothe baby.
    6) Develop Bloodfire.
    7) Change baby.
    8) Get some physical copies of FLFS back in the IPR inventory.
    9) Put baby to bed.
    10) Figure out how I want to interact with the indie games community in the future.
  • Posted By: fragmadshort form mech support crew LARP
    Made of awesome. Can I play the guy who reloads the three-block-long autocannon?
  • Finish three unfinished projects:

RBH, Dead Latte, and something else.

• Posted By: Jonathan Walton
    Made of awesome. Can I play the guy who reloads the three-block-long autocannon?
    I was thinking a slightly different angle. But not too different and I suspect I know a guy who'll be jumping to play the weapons officer.
    I've written design goals down here.

I'm going to stay silent now on this until I'm at the beta stage. Nothing kills projects more than blabbing about them without anything to show.
  • What I want most is to get back into the groove of my Monday night group. I've been out for a little while, and I'm really ready to play again.

Beyond that, I'd like to clean up my online offerings so they can be found easier, and maybe start blogging about games again.

Lastly, I'd like to take one of my dormant projects and finish it and release it, either for free or for not. Inuma's the likely candidate here.

Oh, and I'd very much like to play and publish Secret RPG I Wrote While On Vacation. It is not cool, but I think it is fun.
  • 1. Keep contact with the great people I've met. Hopefully seeing many of them face-to-face.
    2. Meet more great people.
  • 1 - Be good!

2 - Play games!

3 - Make games!
  • - Publish a suitable number of Supplements for Apocalypse Prevention, Inc.
    - Publish one new title/setting as well near the end of the year.
    - Make it to as many Conventions as i can possibly afford
    - Write, write, write - and improve my skills!

-Oni
    http://www.thirdeyegames.net
  • Posted By: Josh Roby1) Have a baby.
    2) Beta playtest of Agora.
    3) Raise baby.
    4) Publish Agora.
    5) Clothe baby.
    6) Develop Bloodfire.
    7) Change baby.
    8) Get some physical copies of FLFS back in the IPR inventory.
    9) Put baby to bed.
    10) Figure out how I want to interact with the indie games community in the future.
    You need to add several more "change baby"s to that list. :)

I think at this point I'm mostly hoping for having a baby to not totally screw up my gaming, haven't quite figured out what that means yet.
  • Posted By: someladyI think at this point I'm mostly hoping for having a baby to not totally screw up my gaming, haven't quite figured out what that means yet.
    baby-based resolution systems, obviously.
  • Babies aren't a problem. Mostly, they sleep, poop, and eat. It's slightly-older kids that cut into things.
  • toddler based resolution systems are more weighted toward failure.
  • Uh, at the risk of being labled a total blog-pimper I actually posted all about this on my blog: the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Except they aren't resolutions. It's an action plan. New Year's resolutions are for failing at. Action plans are for succeeding!
  • - Finish two novels.

- Run a regular campaign game in system of choice (BW, Savage Worlds, or HQ) without using any homebrew rules.

- Run two marathons & two 10k races.

- Pick up a new skill.

- Chill.
  • [shameless plug mode]

The Canon Puncture Crew just recorded episode 55 of the podcast and it has a review of our favorite gaming moments of 2008 and our 2009 New Years Gamer Resolutions.

http://canonpuncture.blogspot.com/2009/01/cps-55-08-top-gaming-moments-and-09.html

[\shameless plug mode]
  • edited January 2009
    Finish something. Whether that's Six Bullets for Vengeance, Ordinary Angels or my super secret new projekt, will have to wait to be seen.

Run Houses of the Blooded. Lots.

That's all - keeping it simple for 2009!
  • On the gaming front :

- Play a little more

- Finish writing/designing at least two games and play the hell out of them

- Finish Shadow Crusade for Dread FbP

- Get some of my games on Lulu.
  • Publish Jaws of the Six Serpents.
    Publish Albion in a tuned-up and completed edition.
    More fun cons.
  • - Revise my steampunk Lost/Pitch Black-knockoff-novel, Crash, which currently weighs in at just over 100k words.

- Revise Anima Prime. The free web version will stay whether I publish it as a book or not.

- Finish seekrit project.

- Play more with Colin's indie group. :)

- Work more on my solo RPG, my no-resolution-system-just-character-change RPG, and others.

- Become a dual citizen and Federal employee.
  • My biggest gaming goal for 2009, hands down, is to find an irl gaming group that meets regularly. Hopefully, this'll just mean kicking my dormant group into gear - but it might mean more work.

Other than that - go to Fastaval, host Fredenscon 2 and do a lot of online gaming. Continuing Mouse Guard via Skype and finding out which parts of that game to port into BW.

Also, play one or more of Bliss Stage, Solar System, Perfect and Covenant.
  • I've already started the year off well, by stealing candy from a baby.

I'm also planning to run a LARP every month. We'll see how that goes. The first should be in a two weeks or so.
    • Make my family happy (myself incl.)
    • Pursue renovation work in the house
    • Continue the regular-playing streak I initiated during the seasons holidays
    • Concretely launch Polaris in my play group (I finally could sell it to them)
    • Try and sell some less-trad techniques: scene framing & all
  • Finish the art for Misery Bubblegum (currently have Manga Studio EX open on my desktop, working on card 31 of 67). Get the buzz about its awesomeness to an appropriate fever-pitch by the time I've got decks in hand.

Forget everything I think I know about gaming. Reassemble my personal play style out of the tools and techniques that I find fun right now.

Forcefully recruit new blood into my Wednesday group until we grok that new people can be as cool as they are scary.
  • Keep gaming weekly (or so) with my two groups.
    Playtest all my four finished RPG designs.
    Finish my two in progress RPG designs up to playtest stage.
    If sufficient playtest happens, write at least one of the RPG designs.
    Come up with at least four new RPG designs.
    Do the paperwork to open a company to publish my stuff. Figure out how to publishing here (in Brazil) and outside works (taxes and stuff).
    Playtest my finished board/card games. Try to publish after sufficient playtest.
  • 1. Publish Kidz - I have the bulk of the book written and now it's just a matter of hammering out the last couple chapters and starting layout.

2. Get moving on at least one more of the games I've got simmering in the back of my head. At the moment I have ideas coming at me from all kinds of directions and I really need to just bite the bullet and start producing them.

3. Play more one-shots - I don't get to play enough of some of the great games I have, especially with my current game group. On my "must play" in the next couple months are: Dirty Secrets, Dogs in the Vineyard, and the Shab al-Hiri Roach.

4. Get my friend to run Mouse Guard. He's got a great idea of a campaign that would fit well with the game and I want to play the game rather than just running it.

5. Keep my online indie gaming group going - I finally have a solid group of players interested in indie games to play online (via Fantasy Grounds) and even have figured out how to make character sheets so playing things like Mouse Guard or SotC are easily done. Now I just want to keep them in place b/c I'm tired of players falling off the face of the earth just when we get a few sessions under our belts.

6. Play more RPGs with my son - he's 6 and I've started playing Marvel Super Heroes with him which has turned out to be a lot of fun. I want to keep that up...
  • Improve my fitness level, by going back to the gym regularly and quitting smoking (cigarettes).

Try to play at least once a month--neigh impossible, I'm finding, for some reason.

Finish ASCII @HACK.

Actually do some formal, serious playtesting of GLASS (ugh... playtesting LARP rules). Should no rules utterly break down, begin final writing of GLASS.

Be the Gaming Coordinator for Trinoc*coN, which means finding a Gaming Guest of Honor, like, this month.

Attend DragonCon, MACE, Trinoc*coN, StellarCon, and any local minicons (it's the only way I get to play, it seems).

Find love. (Note: Might necessitate adjusting standards.)

Continue my assault on the Federal Reserve System, one non-believer (or rather, one beknighted believer) at a time.

Keep a SHARP eye on this Obama fellow... I ain't believing in any of the "change" he's got going so far.

Travel more. Work less. Earn more. Get more freelance layout and editing gigs.