Elevator Pitches and One Sentence Campaign Idea Seeds

edited December 2008 in Story Games
I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but it came to me yesterday:

Mouse Guard - Fafhrd and the Grey Mouse: Tales of Little Lankhmar

So, any short idea seeds for any game?

Comments

• Here's something I've started up last week: The Spirit of Earthdawn. Enough said.
  • Primetime Adventures: Being Martian - The life and times of a teenage girl colonist on Mars, interspersed with her fantasies of being a barbarian warrior princess in Barsoom.
  • edited December 2008
    Ate my post...fucker.

Githyanki Silver Swords - Red Dragon Riders scout over prime material worlds and get into adventures, seeing worlds as extended dungeons filled with treasure.

Punch the World - Iconic high powered super heroes punch newspaper headlines, making a better today.

Siege to Hell - A tight posse of paladins and priests gather their holy symbols and weapons in order to destroy hell once and for all, a 1-30 D&d 4e campaign.
  • Faito Aidoru - (for Aberrant or similar "you were human, now you have superpowers" game) Some Indie pop idols in Akihabara spontaneously develop superpowers. They split up from their old idol groups, form a new group, and fight crime and lightly rock open akiba venues. Politely.

-Andy
  • Steampunk 4E: Stormalong. You've recently be hired to serve on the Albatross under Alfred Bulltop Stormalong, the biggest, strongest sailor to ever sail the seas. The boat itself is so large that the officers keep herds of horses on board so they can ride quickly from bow to stern. Most of them haven't been below decks in years, but that's exactly where they're sending you, deep down below to pump water out of the hold. By the time you come back up, you'll probably have gained quite a few levels, maybe enough to make Seaman First Class and be sent to climb the rigging. The officers don't really know what awaits up there either, since the mast is so tall that it has hinges so it won't catch on the moon.
  • @ Jonathan: real poetry, man.
  • Dogs in the Wasteland, Fallout 3 hack for DitV.
  • Something that's been tickling my brain today:

Aqua-Noir :: Anthropomorphic Mystery and Murder in the Big Wet
  • The Last Watchdog Over the Faithful - A solo campaign in a wild west that has moved on, starting off in a ghosttown called Bridal Falls, winding through what is left of the Desert Territory and ending Back East.
  • Rocks fall; everyone dies.
  • A personal project of mine: Saberpunk.
  • Dragon Seed - A high fantasy realm ala "Dragonriders" realizes that they haven't seen a dragon, once popular, in almost a generation. Teams of explorers head off to see if they can discover what became of these magical creatures. A high level D&D game.

TORG - No one was watching the oceans. In the middle of the Atlantic, a new Cosm appears of inky albino mermen, horrific metal vessels, and titanic creatures of the deep ocean. The High Lords of area cosms join together to bring down this new threat, sending the PCs - their highest second-hand men - to team up to bring down this new threat.

World War Z - Sorry, this one is still on my mind (use AFMBE or other light system): A campaign played out entirely as a series of 1-2 session vignettes about people around the globe running from or fighting back against the zombie menace.
  • Some hot Burning Wheel action:

Breaking Walls - You are members of a Dwarven Mercenary Siege Company, out of work since the fall of the 7 Dwarven Kings, traveling among the warring human city-states, knocking down walls and taking shit.

Beasts - You are all monsters, made together out of the Monster Burner, all coming together for some purpose, all of the world's outsiders gathered.
  • I like Beasts, Judd. Ever since I got the Monster Burner, I've wanted to do a "Dungeon Keeper" style of campaign, or "misunderstood monsters" seeking redemption and acceptance amongst "the daylight races." Or maybe a bunch of Fae races fed up with the Fairy Court and wanting to rule the world of the mundane.
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyIMouse Guard - Fafhrd and the Grey Mouse: Tales of Little Lankhmar
    That is a really fun idea.

Thanks for the thread, Mark.

Posted By: Jonathan WaltonSteampunk 4E:Stormalong.You've recently be hired to serve on theAlbatrossunderAlfred Bulltop Stormalong....
    I call shenanigans! It is only supposed to be one sent....

The Moon?

Cool.
  • PTA, maybe? - Castle Corp. is run by an ever-thirsty Dr. Acula "Vlad" Tepes and his bastard son, pale and rebellious Alucard and are constantly being attacked by the whip-smart law offices of Belmont and Renard.

(Vlad's favorite drinking hole is a bar called the Dark Side of the Moon, owned by his lover and her husband, the coy Succubus and the enigmatic Grim Reaper.)
  • Sorry, Judd. That one's just been raging in my brain ever since I found this collection of indie folklore pamphlets from the 1921-1945, including Old Stormalong Yarns of the Old Time Yankee Deep-Water Sailors (6th from the bottom). I should have just linked to the booklet and said "dungeon diving based on this."

I think it's probably public domain, since I doubt the author bothered to renew the copyright on these self-published booklets, but I'm poking around to check before I try putting together a 5-page PDF or something. American tall tales are just asking to be turned into roleplaying campaigns. I partially picked Stormalong because he has strong connections to Massachusetts (where I'm living now).
  • I'm a huge Lost fan and always had this idea of a Sci-Fi PTA game:

You wake up alone on a space station drifting somewhere in space unsure of who you are or why you are there. Only after freeing yourself from your restraints are you able to wander your isolated section of the station and discover the other stowaways stuck in a similar situation. But what lies in that section beyond the large blast door with the words "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD THIS BE OPENED", or what's with that strange planet out the viewport which does not appear to be like anything you've ever seen before? Also, why are there cameras stationed throughout the interior when there's seemingly no security station?
  • Space 1914: The Fall of Pax Terra
  • Based on a recent British TV series:

Dead Set: The zombie apocalypse occurs and the only survivors are the members of the Big Brother house. Yeah, that's right, people specifically chosen to hate each other and cause strife have to figure out what to do when Big Brother stops watching and the zombies do ... I'd use something with a trust mechanic like the Mountain Witch.
  • D&D survival horror in a fantasy world zombie apocalypse.
  • Houses of the Blooded Al Qadim.
  • Lost: Battlestar Galactica

Your ship crash landed on a remote planet and everyone seems to have a shady past and could be connected in mysterious ways - can you survive long enough for a ship to rescue you and, more importantly, what's up with the weird buildings on the planet that sing to the hidden Cylons in your group?
  • Judd: The Last Dog is such a beautiful idea, it's making my heart ache a little.
  • edited December 2008
    Artful Dodgers: Anachronistic multi-ethnic gangs of child thieves have parkour adventures in Dickens' industrial London, trying to escape the law and the abusive orphanages while rocking out to grime music. Bliss Stage would probably work well, with Fagin as the fucked up adult figure.
  • Posted By: John HarperJudd: The Last Dog is such a beautiful idea, it's making my heart ache a little.
    Thanks, that one is sticking with me.

I took it to its own thread on the lumpley forum.
  • It's a good life, if you don't weaken.
  • Posted By: AndySome Indie pop idols in Akihabara spontaneously develop superpowers.
    "AKB48 - prepare for launch!"

* "Little, Lost and Innocent, Attorneys at Law" - Lawyer drama in Fairy-Tale Candyland!
    * "For a Few Coppers More" - Spaghetti Dungeon-Crawling
    * "Flip That Planet" - Sci-Fi mercs buy planets and clean them of dangers for profit
    * "Snake-Eyes!" - NInjas who work as Vegas Security and Private Eyes
  • Posted By: Mark Causey(Vlad's favorite drinking hole is a bar called the Dark Side of the Moon, owned by his lover and her husband, the coy Succubus and the enigmatic Grim Reaper.)
    Don't forget the band there, The Children of the Night...
  • I watched a lot of Hammer Horror films this past October.

City of Frankenstein
    Years ago, the town was dying, infested with disease and misery. Then the the Lord Doctor appeared, a lone genius seeking only to study the grand mysteries of life in peace. But by happenstance he was embroiled in the great revolt, and his nobility and intelligence thrust him into the role of a leader. Now the Lord Doctor and his Apothecary Council project their rule of reason from high Taranis Castle, as well as the flow of captured lightning that powers the wonderous machines which have brought progress. In the streets, the lame now walk and the blind see, their crippled parts skillfully replaced. In the graveyards, no good body goes wasted...
  • edited December 2008
    nicotine heroes is a roleplaying game of teenage, secret-identity heroes looking for happiness.

-edit for spelling-
  • edited December 2008
    Posted By: E.T.SmithCity of Frankenstein
    I dub thee: "Corpse-punk"! Cool idea!
  • Posted By: JuddThe Last Watchdog Over the Faithful - A solo campaign in a wild west that has moved on, starting off in a ghosttown called Bridal Falls, winding through what is left of the Desert Territory and ending Back East.
    that is so awesome. Peckinpah's Dogs. Shit yeah.
  • Jonathan Walton,

Artful Dodgers is one of the best ideas I have ever, ever heard.
  • Don't know what systems I would use for these, but I keep thinking about doing them someday...

"The Tide Goes Out" - In a world where leadership is determined by inate magical ability, the social order is turned upside down when magic as we know vanishes from the world for good... but when the tide goes out, what will you find on the beach?

"Auld Enemy" - An alternative version of the colonization of America, with Elves as the natives in charge of a huge empire, the action begins 30 years after a decisive territorial war where the Elves sued for peace rather than face the horrors they could unleash upon the humans. The human colonies look set to encroach further upon the Elven domain, unitl a disaster forces them to beg the elves for help (loosely inspired by the Klingon/Federation situation in Star Trek 6)

"The Meadows" - Las Vegas in the asteroid belt.

"Prehistoric" - A stone age tribe accidentally acquire's a time machine and begin raiding 'history' for booty!
  • Outlaw Gods - To escape justice, you and your gang have gone to ground permanently on some shit-ass backwater muscle-power planet. You've brought along some high-tech stuff that will make you Gods here in a matter of months. Will you stay Gods once the ammo runs out ... or is one of your fellow gangsters into monotheism?
  • Posted By: joepubArtful Dodgers is one of the best ideas I have ever, ever heard.
    Glad you dig it. I might try to write it up as a little mini-supplement for Bliss Stage once I find time to finish the Matrix-y one I already started.
  • Spelljammer Voyager: The crew of a spelljamming vessel is catapulted to a strange new cosmos in which various starfaring empires are perched on the brink of war.

Fimbulwinter Noir: An unholy blizzard cuts off [insert city of choice] from the rest of the world, accompanied by the appearance of strange creatures in the streets and--apparently--odd paranormal phenomena associated with the Norse runes. An alternative version of this would drop back into a Viking city as an anachronistic Noir setting in mid-winter.

Post-apocalypse Ravnica: Another city-based variation, in which the players are survivors of a planar war that has devastated the ancient world-city of Ravnica.
  • League of Television Heroes: The players make their favorite heroes from 80s and 90s live-action TV shows (Mr. T, Spike, MacGuyver, Sledge Hammer, etc.) as characters and have them team up to fight evil.

Fairy Quest: Based on the forthcoming comic by Edgar Delgado; Red Riding Hood and some other fairy tale characters team up and are generally badass as they take down the fairy tale villains any way they can.
  • Posted By: HexabolicSpelljammer Voyager:The crew of a spelljamming vessel is catapulted to a strange new cosmos in which various starfaring empires are perched on the brink of war.
    If you ever want to run this, pick up a copy of Under the Dark Fist for a good evil empire to mash up and a dozen bizarre crystal spheres to explore.

Assault on Mount Celestia: Play a bunch of demons joining in with an army from the prime material plane who are literally storming the heavens because they think they deserve it.

Ewen, you totally stole my League of 1980's Gentlemen idea. Luckily, I can counter-steal the League of Extraordinary Breakfast Cereals from Intercon a few years back.

Mage 1955: Watch as the Cult of Ecstasy tries to keep the Technocracy from keeping Rock & Roll down. (There's more to it than that, but that was always the starting point for me.)
  • Another Dog Ate My Food - life in the pound.
  • Posted By: Neko EwenLeague of Television Heroes:The players make their favorite heroes from 80s and 90s live-action TV shows (Mr. T, Spike, MacGuyver, Sledge Hammer, etc.) as characters and have them team up to fight evil.
    ...this one would be played in GURPS, obviously.
  • Mage 1955: Watch as the Cult of Ecstasy tries to keep the Technocracy from keeping Rock & Roll down. (There's more to it than that, but that was always the starting point for me.)
    Coooool. I'd totally play this.
  • edited December 2008
    Posted By: Neko EwenLeague of Television Heroes:The players make their favorite heroes from 80s and 90s live-action TV shows (Mr. T, Spike, MacGuyver, Sledge Hammer, etc.) as characters and have them team up to fight evil.

My brain automatically substituted 'TV' for 'television' in that title, and I wondered if it was the lead-in to an Eddie Izzard RPG :-)
  • Everything's better with Eddie!
  • Golden Age: You've been "retired" by the government, and your powers stripped, and you act as propaganda spokespeople as the new wave of government supported super heroes step up to the plate - can ordinary people take on a corrupt government that won't let the world leave the culture of the 50s?
  • The Washer - Vignettes revolving around a high-ranking Western war-department official, an Eastern Jihadist, a globe-trotting billionaire, and an orphaned twelve year old girl with the power to psychically alter the memories, emotions, and ideologies of anyone she touches.

• Posted By: Colin_Fredericks
    Mage 1955: Watch as the Cult of Ecstasy tries to keep the Technocracy from keeping Rock & Roll down. (There's more to it than that, but that was always the starting point for me.)
    Heh. I've always wanted to play Changeling 1968: Summer of Love/Summer of Rage
  • The Long March, for Traveller: The New Era

You are survivors of the fall of the Imperium, one of the "lucky" few who didn't die when the Virus turned humaniti's machines against them. Soldiers, civilians, criminals, madmen - one way or another you've all ended up on this ragtag fugitive fleet, looking for a new place to call home. They say the Hivers survived the worst ravages of the Virus - their computers are just too alien to be taken over. Maybe they'll take you in, but to get there you have to cross sector after sector of Virus-ravaged space - planets driven back to the stone age, people fighting over crusts of bread in the ruins of shining metropoli, and everyone living in fear of anything with a computer chip in it. You have limited fuel, limited food, and tensions between the old Imperial factions in the fleet are already threatening to tear it apart...if the Vampire Fleets don't get you first.

(Think BSG meets Traveller)
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyGolden Age: You've been "retired" by the government, and your powers stripped, and you act as propaganda spokespeople as the new wave of government supported super heroes step up to the plate - can ordinary people take on a corrupt government that won't let the world leave the culture of the 50s?
    I really like this. It could take a Bubba Hotep twist where it's unclear if the protagonists really were heroes, or just believe that now, at the far end of thier lives.