[Mouse Guard RPG] Preorder on IPR!

edited December 2008 in Directed Promotion
There is some confusion in the December thread about the preorder for Mouse Guard. I've spoken with customer service, and he stated:
  • The quantity's effectively arbitrary. We started with an initial estimate of 50 (but that was low, and I hadn't realized it was a not-realistic underestimate when I processed and set up the preorder). So I added 200 to the quantity, for a "supply" of 250. That said if it looks like it needs to be jacked up more, it will be. I'm monitoring it.
On to other thoughts - what does anyone know about this game? Consider this a "sell me on Mouse Guard" thread.

Comments

• Nevermind the sell me thread, looks like I should have just read this thread first.
  • Lots of details in this thread on the content's of the actual book. Several of us have the PDF now so I'm sure we can answer most questions.
  • The .pdf is pretty. The physical book will undoubtedly look good beside my Mouse Guard graphic novel.

Other than that, I'm afraid I haven't read enough to say much of substance. I like the GM and Player turns, twists, and trait checks as a way to structure the game and so far things look simplified enough to play with younger players (I'm thinking of my 11ish year old cousins).

I have an overwhelming urge to play a mouse with black fur and a red cape.
  • I have the PDF but I can't find the GM or character sheet other than the example NPC sheets. Am I missing a download or is this hidden somewhere on the BW site?
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsI have an overwhelming urge to play a mouse with black fur and a red cape.
    Cool! What kind of weapon?
  • And what's the story with it being sold on Amazon? I saw it mentioned elsethread, but didn't grok the deal.
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerI have the PDF but I can't find the GM or character sheet other than the example NPC sheets. Am I missing a download or is this hidden somewhere on the BW site?
    It's been added to the IPR download, but there's also a copy of them available on this thread on the BW forums.
  • edited December 2008
    Edit: same as above 30 seconds late....
  • edited December 2008
    Squee!

Can't wait for the PDF!

Woot! Got the download keys... my gods it is full of stars...
  • Posted By: jenskotPosted By: Brand_RobinsI have an overwhelming urge to play a mouse with black fur and a red cape.
    Cool! What kind of weapon?

A rapier, of course. I think he'd wear a mask but his patrol leader won't let him.
  • So I was thinking about sources of inspiration, aside from Mouse Guard, Redwall, and the like, and I realized that this genre really dates back to the Batrachomyomachia (a.k.a. the Battle of the Frogs and the Mice), yeah? I totally remember reading George W. Martin's translation of it as a kid and rooting for Troglodyte (a mouse warrior) in his duel with Pond-Larker (a frog).
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonSo I was thinking about sources of inspiration, aside from Mouse Guard, Redwall, and the like...
    Oeming's "Mice Templar" comic from Image is also a good source.
  • Don't forget Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.
  • The real question is, though, to quote David Bowie: is there mice on Marr'd?
  • w00t! I can has!

Great-looking .pdf. I've only found one nit: a spot on p. 235 where the graphic apparently distorted the accompanying text. I can't wait to play this.
  • It's not the tightest justification, but dude, really?
  • I'm sitting here, having an insomnia night, looking at page 235 and wondering what the hell I'm looking at.

I'm sure whatever it is will ruin the game for me, as soon as I can see it.
  • The black thing? A helmet, as modeled by the chaps on page 187.
  • Actually, Luke, it isn't the justification--it's an apparent partial bold-facing of the text in the lower right-hand corner that looks like the letters are bleeding ink from "Extreme conditions" on down, but only for the second half of each line. I just assumed it was a distortion from something about the graphic placement, maybe from a mask overlap.

However, it shows up in Acrobat Reader but not in Preview. So there we are.

It wasn't ruining anything for me, anyway; sorry I mentioned it. The overall production quality is so friggin' high on this book that running into this...thing...surprised me.
  • Sorry. We crossed wires. That ain't in the print version! I just checked...

Carry on with the nitpicking!
  • Posted By: HexabolicHowever, it shows up in Acrobat Reader butnotin Preview
    It also doesn't show up in Foxit reader. Interesting.
  • Running Adobe Reader 8.1.3 on a Mac and also don't see it.
  • Hexabolic, what are your computer / adobe reader specs? I've viewed it on a few computers and can't recreate the problem. Maybe it was something that occurred in the downloading process?
  • edited December 2008
    Luke, it looks and reads great. I'm definitely looking forward to playing this soon.

Is there a good place to report really, really minor nitpicks (like, say, page 302 & 303, the skill "Watcher" appears out of alignment with the other text nevermind, that's Weather Watcher, I get it now) or are you not interested in those right now (since any reprint would be far off in the future)?
  • Jon,
    You have no idea how hard it was just to get you all the pdf of the game. Why don't you just enjoy the book for a while? There's no rush to demonstrate your nerd OCD.
  • Cool. I'll try to use my nerd OCD to, like, plan some missions instead or something.
  • Hi John,

MacBook 2GHz Intel, 4GB RAM, Leopard 5.5
    Preview 4.1
    Acrobat Reader 5.0

I opened again in both. Problem shows in Acrobat, but not in Preview. I'd be happy to send a snapshot to anyone who's interested in trying to debug it.
  • edited December 2008
    Well... Acrobat Reader 5.0 is pretty ancient, nowadays[*]... could be some rendering glitch.

[*] Or, are the Apple version's version numbers completely different?
  • Version numbers ought to be accurate enough. I think I'd agree with you that I must have an ancient copy of Reader.
  • Posted By: lukzuYou have no idea how hard it was just to get you all the pdf of the game.
    Let me say for the record that we appreciate it! I'm enjoying the pdf very much. Thanks, Luke!
  • This is the prettiest RPG I've ever seen.
  • Also, you use "he" and "him" too much. The game's broken. I would've bought 10 copies if only for that damned pronoun.

This is really something we should've caught in playtest.

p.
  • edited December 2008
    I've read the first 1/4 of the book so far and what I really like is that it actually teaches you how to play the damn game. I could give this book to either of my daughters (14 &11) and fully expect them to GM successful games for their friends with no teaching or prompting from me.

Well done!
  • This game makes weather a dynamic and interesting force in the game.

Wow.
  • OK, OK, I'm sold. Damn you all. I haven't even PLAYED some of my Burning FOO and now I get to add to the stack....

Fuckers.
  • I've read the first 1/4 of the book so far and what I really like is that it actually teaches you how to play the damn game. I could give this book to either of my daughters (14 &11) and fully expect them to GM successful games for their friends with no teaching or prompting from me.

Well done!

In my dreams, I live in the world where this is considered the minimal standard to be a competant game designer as opposed to being so rare as to be deserving of kudos.
  • A Burning Wheel game that can be understood without carefully studying the thing for hours and doing weekly pre-game homework assignments? I think I might be sold.
  • Luke: I ended up asking for Mouse Guard (and the first graphic novel) for Christmas because of the various threads and support. I don't know if you could track that kind of thing, but I'm a real life data point for you.
  • Fine! I bought it, despite the "we hate the customer" hardcoverness.
  • Very pretty in pdf, eagerly awaiting print copy. Did not have any problems with display or printing of the pdf.

Interesting timing that the mouse movie Devereaux comes out this year too.

The use of the plot of the comic as if it was playing game very creative/fun way of looking at things and the instructions on play etc. also very good as noted. Without being preachy (e.g., not lording it over other approaches) the "we don't know story until we play and discover it" vibe comes through as just "of course that's how to play".

Rob
  • Posted By: HexabolicHowever, it shows up in Acrobat Reader butnotin Preview.
    Look fine on Reader 7.0 - might be a font rendering thing...
  • Posted By: LxndrFine! I bought it, despite the "we hate the customer" hardcoverness.
    Because there's nothing more unpleasant than reading and using a hardcover. ::rollseyes::

p.
  • Posted By: LxndrFine! I bought it, despite the "we hate the customer" hardcoverness.
    Would it assuage your rage if I told you the book lays flat? It's freaking square!
  • And if you want to use minis:
    %5CAUTOIMAGES%5CDC41000lg.jpg
  • Posted By: Good LukePosted By: LxndrFine! I bought it, despite the "we hate the customer" hardcoverness.
    Would it assuage your rage if I told you the book lays flat? It's freaking square!

It will still poke me unpleasantly when I try to curl up with in in bed.
  • I have given this careful consideration.

Mouse Guard is the best RPG book ever.

I will knife fight a man says otherwise.
  • Posted By: John HarperI have given this careful consideration.

Fine, but what's your statement of intent?
  • To get Luke to love him the way he loves Luke, obviously.

(It's a manly, 300 style love.)
  • Posted By: John Harper

Can we just sissy slap fight next time I'm in town?
  • Posted By: John Harper
    I think you should self-reflect on that.

Graham