[Mechaton] Victory is Inevitable!

edited November 2008 in Actual Play

Comments

• I, for one, would like to take this opportunity to thank the motivation squadrons for helping me overcome my fear of alien death rays.
  • edited November 2008
    Photobucket

Sadly, the propagandistic efforts of the planetary forces do not match up to reality.

Today, the sadly enslaved and holiday free peoples took their first step towards freely available consumer durables and mandatory coffee breaks. Yes, the victorious forces of The Combine conducted a stunningly effective operation against a major city of the oppressors. In fact, one of the most hated symbols of the anti-mercantile forces was reduced to nothing more than rubble during the offensive.

Speaking of rubble...

The pathetic forces of the oppressors were comprehensively flattened by the superior technology and economic power of The Combine. Sadly, we must report the loss of the famed Colonel Blackjack as he single handedly destroyed five enemy tank squadrons in a heroic defense of civillians who were being used as human shields by the despicable planetary government.

The streets are now full of citizens rejoicing at their chance to purchase a variety of quality goods from The Combine!

The Chairman of the Board
  • edited November 2008

Really, who believes this rubbish? Only the cowardly and powerless leadership of a slave state soon to be fully liberated, that's who!

Our Military Intelligence & Corporate Affairs Department are currently analysing combat drone and gun camera footage from the so-called 'massacre'. Once this has been passed on to the Public Relations & Weapon Systems Department, we shall present unequivocal proof of the lies that are being perpetrated by the cynical 'Great Leader'.

In the meantime, we can announce that the citizens of Germansk are enjoying to the full their new consumer rights. Ice cream sales are at an all-time high.

Lt. Col. Nitze, 20th Information Dissemination Battalion, 3rd Special Services Wing
  • Bots in the Junkyard.
  • edited November 2008

As promised (and who cannot say that The Combine does not live up to its promises), we can now present photovisual evidence of the true nature of the recent battle. I think that any untainted observer will agree that the battle was fought, on our side at least, according to the highest standards of human decency and financial probity.

Exhibit 'A':

In this image you can clearly see the steps taken by Combine forces to avoid civilian casualties. Indeed, it was the enemy themselves who needlessly and carelessly placed their own people in the firing line. In the right centre of the photograph, you can see a Combine 'Gunslinger' mechanised unit capturing a valuable enemy communications post. Centre left shows Combine 'Jaeger' and 'Titan' class units advancing on the cowardly defenders skulking behind one of the ruined aircraft.

Exhibit 'B':

As is well known, The Combine does not flinch from telling all sides of the story. Here we see a still from a captured enemy gun camera. In the centre we see the 'Jager' mechanised unit advancing fearlessly towards the enemy, yet taking careful steps to avoid injuring civilians who have flocked into the streets to welcome their liberators. To the right we see the noted and characteristically brave leader of the elite Orbital Insertion Battalion hurrying to the scene, eager to take on the enemy and save celebrating women and children from the guns of the hated oppressors.

Exhibit 'C':

Spy drone footage taken near the conclusion of the battle shows (bottom right) the remains of the mechanised unit piloted by the heroic and selfless Colonel Blackjack after defeating, single handedly, massed waves of enemy tanks. Bottom left, we can witness civilians eager to celebrate a notable victory. In the top of the frame you will witness members of the elite Orbital Insertion Battalion moving in to finish off the remaining cowardly defenders who, until the very last, were steadfastly stuck in their redoubt, refusing to venture out on to the field of combat and face justice for their war crimes.Centre right shows the destruction wrought on that most hated symbol of the regime, the dastardly secret police headquarters.

Exhibit 'D':

Finally, we can show the awesome power of the liberating Combine forces, the twisted remains of the planetary regime forces lying scattred around their pitiful defence works like so much confetti after a particularly well-attended wedding.

Any right thinking person will surely agree that these photovisuals demonstrate conclusively that The Combine fought a fair and dignified battle in the face of extreme provocation. We are guilt free and confident in the future success of this campaign.

Lt. Col. Nitze, 20th Information Dissemination Battalion, 3rd Special Services Wing

Well, it seems like the defeated leaders of the brutal police state are off hiding in the hills like the dogs they are. So, let's have a look at some publicity photos of the glorious liberators!

First up, here are the mechanised units of the elite Orbital Insertion Battalion, heroes of a thousand battles, beloved throughout The Combine!
    Orbital Insertion Battalion

Let us now have a moment of silence for the glorious dead. Colonel Blackjack just days before his martyrdom in the service of The Combine:
    Colonel Blackjack

But stepping up to take the place of the Colonel, full of vengeance and fury, it's the Gunslinger!
    Gunslinger

And finally, it's the giant who carries worlds on his shoulders, Titan!
    Titan

Our way of life, our technology, our values and our range of consumer products are superior to any others in known space. You know it makes sense to be part of The Combine.

This message was brought to you by the Public Relations & Weapon System Department of The Combine.
  • edited November 2008
    Let me just day, for the sheer cool factor of the models... All Hail the Combine!

Now I want blueprints...ahem... LDD files for them.
    Or, at least a detailed series of photos from different angles. Especially the wite ones :)

Is that a common frame under the custom weapons?
    A shot of the naked frame would be interesting, also. I kinda suck at imagining this stuff, I found (I also lack most of the cool little bits, but that can be fixed *grin* )
  • I really like how you have pointed the "toe" of the foot at a different angle to make it look like they're walking...and also I suspect to make up for the height difference of the different angle.
    Nicely done.

And the heads pivoting above those chest guns are the sweeet.
  • I gotta say, it's pretty eerie seeing other people with my Lego dudes.

• edited November 2008
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI gotta say, it's pretty eerie seeing other people with my Lego dudes.
    Well, you did design a most excellent frame, so I'm bound to make use of it!

The basic frame, as mentioned above, is the AIn-11 that Joshua designed. I'm sure there are notes somewhere on how the frame is constructed, I just can't find where they are right now. Joshua?

edit: Aha! You can see the frame design really well in this blog entry by Joshua. I think that makes things much clearer.

Cheers
    Malc
  • Damn, it's Joshua's design! I had a feeling of familiarity, but I did not make the connection: my hat off to Joshua, too, for the original frame.

Pay no attention to this propaganda. I can exclusively reveal that as of this moment, Combine forces have not lost any drones to enemy action. Although I think you'll find that the hiring of Farquarkistani mercenaries shows the depths which the enemy is willing to sink to in order to keep it's people enslaved and working in the deadly cobalt mines.

• Who are you going to believe? Them?

Or us...

• edited November 2008

I suppose if you are the decrepit and embattled leader of a failing state, a state where thousands of citizens are flocking to the protection of their liberators, then yes, I guess this might be the spin you put on it.

But not us.

As always, The Combine is willing to give you the full and unvarnished truth, bereft of propaganda and simplistic xenophobia. Again, we present photovisual evidence of how the battle actually turned out.

Exhibit 'A':

First witness the large number of civilians who had come to one of our Forward Repair & Supply Stations to escape the predations of an increasingly frustrated regime. Notice how they are welcomed at our commissary, given food and warm clothing and invited to see the technological wonders of The Combine. Unlike the hated regime, we have no secrets.

Exhibit 'B':

Note the men, women and children who are all being cared for by The Combine, completely free of charge. Behind the stout walls of our base, under the watchful eyes of our mechanised unit pilots, they felt safe from harm for the first time in many days.

Exhibit 'C':

Unlike the despised and brutal regime, we want all citizens of The Combine to see the fruits of our technological advances. The now former refugees were able to get a close up view of the elegant machines that now protect them from their former oppressors and their devious Farquarkistani allies.

Exhibit 'D'

But as we all know, this kind of benificence enrages the the failing and impotent Great Leader. Hence, the regime forces and their Farquarkistani allies launched a cowardly sneak attack intended not to damage a military installation, but to brutalise civilians. Luckily, there are many heroes in The Combine and the pilot of one of our 'Gunslinger' class mechanised units immediately sprinted into action, heedless of the massed forces which she faced. This selfless act of outstanding bravery and gallantry undoubtedly saved many lives and contributed to great destruction visited upon the attacking forces.

Exhibit 'E':

And here is that destruction, for all the world to see. Note that despite minor, superficial damage and the ranks of deluded enemies, our brave pilot pressees home her attack, only thinking of the men, women and children whom she has vowed to protect!

Exhibit 'F':

And as it to be expected, we find the so-called 'allies' of the regime, the dastardly Farquarkistani, skulking around, hiding from the guns of The Combine. Despite their (self made) reputation, these poltroons contributed nothing to the battle.

Exhibit 'G':

Finally, I think this satellite photovisual says it all.

Proof positive that this sneak raid was beaten off by The Combine and the lives and spending power of numerous citizens were protected.

Col. Nitze, 20th Information Dissemination Battalion, 3rd Special Services Wing
  • I...am not yet sure who to believe... The Combine does look rather dashing, though!
  • Posted By: JuddGI...am not yet sure who to believe... The Combine does look rather dashing, though!
    You know who is telling the truth.

• Yeah, I think I'll have to vote Grand Admiral Tokajev off the island on this occasion, despite my usual tendency to go fanatically xenophobic and patriotic when aliens come annex humanity. Might be that the Combine isn't trying hard enough to be sinister, or the ruling regime is already doing a great job in the department of cultural destruction; the Great Leader is doing a swell job convincing me that we'll be better off without his disingenious communist regime. Can I get a "Harasho!", former Eastern Europe?

I'm just waiting for when the Great Leader decides to have his propaganda department shot to a man. It's all so 1930s!
  • This is the thread that got me to finally get off my ass and get me some Mechaton.

• Posted By: Eric ProvostThis is the thread that got me to finally get off my ass and get me some Mechaton.
    That's the best possible news!

Cheers
    Malcolm
  • Likewise! Mechaton next week!
  • SCREW YOU, CRAIG, WITH YOUR DISTANT EXISTENCE!

• Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanSCREW YOU, CRAIG, WITH YOUR DISTANT EXISTENCE!
    ONE DAY, VICTORY OVER YOU SHALL BE MINE! EVEN WITH YOUR SILLY 'LIVING 10,000 MILES AWAY' THING!
  • Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanSCREW YOU, CRAIG, WITH YOUR DISTANT EXISTENCE!
    He's OURS now.
  • Okay, someone PM me with the lego shopping list and instructions! I must play!
  • James, the book has directions, including parts lists and how to get them. A couple of the mecha above are variants of my designs, at least one of which is in the book. The other can be found, if memory serves, over at Anyway.

Lemme see...

Ah, here we go.

The rest of the Glorious People's Guard are original and pretty nifty so Simon will have to hook you up.

• Convincing thread is convincing.

Totally buying and playing Mechaton for Christmas.
  • I'm finding many of the bricks that make up the AIn-11 aren't available on Lego.com - can anyone suggest a cheap site that will allow me to acquire all the listed parts?
  • Bricklink should be your first port of call. In the UK, the best store I've used on the site is called A Slim Chance, excellent range of brick and top notch customer service.

Cheers
    Malcolm
  • Thanks for that, Malcolm!
  • Those tanks of yours are really nice.

• Thanks! I was kind of inspired by these things by Soren for the Assault Tanks, but the Victory Tank is a development of that, sticking two track units together with a single big turret. We're playing again today, so hopefully we'll get some good shots of it. It may however, be eclipsed by another mech of mine, which is somewhat larger.
  • I'll pass that on to him!

• edited November 2008
    It's true, you know. I had 'gone off for a rest' the previous night. Quite an extensive rest. Hence I was unfit to take command the next day.

And that Blaatwurst guy needs to be silenced. Who does he think he is, pontificating on this and that?

Cheers
    Malc
  • You know, the "Rather Dashing" guy above seems to be wearing Cricket pads.

Simon, show more pics of the Spirit of Germansk!

• I began to suspect that Grand Admiral Tokarev may not have willingly stepped down, but now I see that was absolutely the case. Best of luck to his unit as they lead the Noble War-machine to the Victory to which the former Admiral was sadly unable to lead them!

I have reported the rumor-monger who lead to my confusion to the Public Resource Management Division.

Also, I categorically deny any accusations that my weekend retreats have involved luggage filled with Party Intel. Such suggestions are preposterous. Who told you that, Steve? What's he got to do with it? Steve!
  • Next time I play, I'm going to have mecha called the Hiphopopotamus and the Rhyminoceros.

• I'm afraid the Spirit of Germansk is being kept under wraps for security purposes. The aliens might have caught some shots of it on their gun cameras though.