Games of samurai?

edited October 2008 in Story Games
Which games of samurai or feudal-Japan are there?

Thanks!

Comments

• There's The Mountain Witch.

Graham
  • Not exactly a game of samurai, but playing Dogs in the Vineyard as Samurai in the Vineyard is popular.

The Blossoms are Falling too.
  • The Mountain Witch and Blossoms are among the best things the indie scene has ever produced, in my opinion.

Also, running samurai with the Mist-Robed Gate would be dead simple. And you'd get to actually stab stuff during play.
  • I've been slowly working on a Tomoe Gozen oracle for IaWA.

Regards,
    Daniel
  • Classics:
    Bushido
    Sengoku <--- There is no better RPG-themed feudal era sourcebook on the planet
    Legend of the Five RIngs ("samurai")
    Usagi Yojimbo
  • Theres a samurai hack in Dust Devils.
  • How good is Usagi Yojimbo for doing serious/semi-serious (animal) Samurai action? I'd forgotten I had a copy until recently.
  • Bushido * sigh * Had a lot of fun playing this game as a teenager
    Sengoku <--- There is no better RPG-themed feudal era sourcebook on the planet</blockquote>
    Hey Andy, would you have more details on this sourcebook, like say author name, publisher? I'm quite interested.
  • edited October 2008
    Posted By: mansTheres a samurai hack in Dust Devils.
    Actually, more than the Ronin hack, I actually just prefer the game as-is for Samurai games. I forgot what it was about the ROnin hack (something about the way "devil" was defined?) but I found it worked for a really small segment of samurai film/drama, while Dust Devils as-is supported everything from high-class samurai or feudal drama, down to zatoichi-style poor swordsmen and gangsters fighting in the dirt.
    Posted By: BullbarHow good is Usagi Yojimbo for doing serious/semi-serious (animal) Samurai action? I'd forgotten I had a copy until recently.
    It's ok. Simple system. The fighting is a mix of die-rolling and rock-paper-scissors.
    Sengoku <--- There is no better RPG-themed feudal era sourcebook on the planet
    Hey Andy, would you have more details on this sourcebook, like say author name, publisher? I'm quite interested.</blockquote>

It's the Sengoku RPG, by Gold Rush Games. Systemwise, it's the Fusion system, and without any situation setups its hard to actually develop a game into play, but the setting book parts are rich with solid information:

Sengoku Link

It also looks like PIG put out a diceless version as well, which actually might work better as a setting book.

Ah, there's also "Daisho", a "one page RPG":
    http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=18182&it=1

-Andy
  • The Burning Wheel http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16342 supplement for the Heian era is top-notch.
  • Usagi Yojimbo by Gold Rush Games, written by Greg Stolze, is sadly out of print and the UY license has moved to a new publisher, but for a fairly light, traditional rpg, I like it. Especially the rock-paper-scissors part of combat.
    An RPG.net review
  • Hi, forgive the shameless plug, but I have a samurai game, an ashcan, called Kagematsu. There has been some discussion about it here and on the Forge. Let me know if your interested.
    -Danielle
  • Danielle,

What can you tell me about Kagematsu? I'm interested!

Regards,
    Daniel
  • Hm. MRG for samurai... I'd want to hack that like so:

For Displays you have Color, Weather, Secret. When you use your Secret, you drop a new piece of information about it, but you don't reveal it outright.

If a player guesses your Secret correctly, then you can't use it in Wirework anymore. But, once during the game, when someone makes a knife demand of you, you can use your Secret to deflect it to an NPC inctead of a character, and the NPC can only respond by fulfilling the demand or killing himself.

So that gives you sort of an anime-style disloyalty drama. I'm not sure how you'd do the sort of interactions you see in Seven Samurai; that represents a much more functional social group than MRG deals with.