The Slovenly Trull Game Design challenge

edited September 2008 in Story Games
Robin Laws proposed, then immediately abandoned, an idea for an indie game called Slovenly Trull, based off of the old AD&D random harlot table.

It seems to me like someone should write this. Even more than that, this sounds like great design criteria for a Game Chef type game design challenge: make a game fitting Robin's general description. Or maybe just a game utilizing the Random Harlot Table in some fashion other than how it was originally intended.

Comments

• Definitely a Jeepform game about a gamer and an Indianapolis prostitute. Some third wave critique through the eyes of a sex worker and a guy whose only contact with women is through games.
  • I think Steve has already written this game. It's called The Fourpenny Touch and you play prostitutes. It's great.

Graham
  • Doesn't "harlot" technically mean an unmarried, unattached woman? Edgy, yes, but not necessarily a prostitute. Sort of "desperate housewives" without the "wife" part, and the desperate turned up to 11 in a D&D setting.
  • Can someone declare that this is officially a contest, starting now?
    Since September is a busy month, can someone impose a max word limit on the entries?
  • It's on, Joepub!

Well, I count the original table at under 200 words. So let's say a 500 word game, but you can incorporate the original table and any of the acompanying text in addition to the word limit.

Post a link to your completed game on this forum on or before September 30.

Suggest ammendment to these rules in this thread before midnight PST and I will consider them. Rules are locked after midnight.
  • Suggested ammendment: dictionary definitions of any terms listed in the table may also be included at no extra textual cost.
  • Great.

The best part of that table is the "30% likely to... 15% likely to... and 20% likely to..."
    It makes me want to write a game about robots and/or emotionally detached people, and the reasons they interact with prostitutes.
  • OK, lets do it. But word limit is 5000, not 500 as I typed.

I hear you. That's going to be key in my game.
  • Awesome. I'm in.
  • It's evolved a bit since May 15th when I wrote it but Fourpenny Touch is a game about prostitution (and what's more Robin Laws has seen it, so I probably scared him off). I working on a publishable version so I'm not going to put it up for competition. The game rules fit in about 300 words but don't include Gary's table of tarts.
  • My first thought was just to use FATE, with the results of your rolls as Aspects (one for the adjective, one for the noun, possible extras for knowing valuable information or being a thief or whatnot).

If for nothing else, then the possibility of saying "I compel your 'saucy' aspect" with a straight face in a game.
  • I'd like to offer a prize for the Best Feminist Game to come out of this competition.

Graham
  • Graham,
    Fantastic. Do you care to leave it as open ended as that?

I'm going to offer an award too. The most uplifting, smile-to-face game that comes out of this contest will win a handmade trophy and a secret prize.
  • Opening lines of my entry:

It is significantly advisable that you listen to the music OK COWBOY by VITALIC while reading this document. I advocate the use of TORRENTS to acquire OK COWBOY by VITALIC.

This document is a resource for playing ROBOT POLICE DETECTIVES ARE ASKING!
  • Posted By: joepubThe most uplifting, smile-to-face game that comes out of this contest will win a handmade trophy and a secret prize.
    Oh. Well, fuck.

My game started as a happy-go-lucky "scam adventurers" game, and sort of developed into a "Being a whore sucks ass (and not just litterally)" game, with drug abuse, violence, disease and unwanted pregnancies. It's not an uplifting, smile-to-face game at all. I'm not gonna get the prize, but I can be in the competition, anyway, I hope.
  • Simon,

Yeah. Game Chef was described this year as a "parade of dying whores" by somebody. Which... bleak, soul-crushing fiction is something I love, but it's nice to see a counterbalance.

So make your disease and violence game, and make it awesome, and let's hope someone angles towards my prize and creates something to even the field here.
  • My game was written in direct response to the 'parade of dying whores' comment, in fact in the same thread. Graham has an awesome name for it.
  • edited September 2008
    I HAVE TWO DAYS?!!

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!

a guy pukes all week and this is what he gets?!

COME ON!!!!!

[edited for more exclamation marks]
  • STFU, that's twice as much as for the 24 hour RPG challenge.
  • STFU, that's twice as much as for the 24 hour RPG challenge.
    um, twice as much as, um, YOU get...
  • Jackson, I did 85% of my entry in a five hour window of solid writing.
  • I wrote mine on the bus.
  • No time for layout! I give you (drumroll, please) ...

Catching Cockroaches

So it's a bit bleak. I didn't follow Game Chef, so I didn't know everyone had made games about dying prostitutes before. Meh.
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • edited September 2008
    Heh, i won't be winning layout awards, but i sure learned a lot about shoehorning today.

tonight, experience with me the wonder of

Declaration Of The Morning

and fall in love with play again!

...Tony?
  • I love "Declaration of the morning", especially the table "Greg's brother's name". I am now officially a Jackson Tegu fan.
  • Matthijs, thank you! I wanted to make something i would actually play. i found the table very depressing to start off with.
  • Jackson,

I played Declaration of the Morning this evening with my downstairs roommates. I played Sandra, Kaleigh played Greg, and we had a third player who picked up a couple odd extras roles but mostly just wanted to watch.

Heather was fat! She threw a textbook at Sandra's head! The words uttered that would never be forgotten were "Spraypaint. Revenge." Sandra wrote "Heather is a Sloverly Trul" and Heather saw it and cried.
  • Posted By: joepubBehold,

ROBOT POLICE DETECTIVES ARE ASKING
    I love it! :)

REMEMBER : USE YOUR ROBOT VOICE - IT IS THE ONLY ONE YOU HAVE!
  • Tony Dowler,

are you submitting an entry?
    If not, Jackson Tegu wins the Most Uplifting Game award.
    If so, hurry up!
  • Augh! I'm late! You guys all totally deserve prizes. I'll try to get it together today.
  • edited October 2008
    ^-^

all i want is a home-made trophy...!

...thanks for the capsule AP report! i'm so excited that you actually played it! i read the first three pages of ROBOT POLICE DETECTIVES ARE ASKING to megann as she was making dinner, and yes, i used my robot voice. we haven't played it, but dinner was delicious.

ps wow, that's about the best three result combo on the harlot table i could imagine, with the spelling error working out so well and so on.
    and leaving off on the L!
  • Posted By: jackson teguHeh, i won't be winning layout awards, but i sure learned a lot about shoehorning today.

tonight, experience with me the wonder of

Declaration Of The Morning

and fall in love with play again!

...Tony?
    Jackson, you are brilliant. That is all.
  • So, it's been a week.
    Though the new competition is very exciting and wonderful, i am chomping at the bit for closure here.

Joe, Graham; would you like to select your winners?
    Tony, would you like to select one as well?

thanks,
    jackson
  • Jackson Tegu, your game hands-down wins the Feel Good Trull-Game of the Year Award.
    Expect your custom-custom pinata and your zine in the mail in like two months. Or one.
  • *big grin*
    thanks, joe.