Missed Connections at GenCon

(Yes, this is totally inspired by Craigslist.)

John Harper, you were totally running a buttload of 3:16 and I'm way bummed that I didn't get to play that (or anything) with you. Dude, I want it on some of that Harper ass-kicking goodness.

Elizabeth Shoemaker, we were totally robbed at the Play Collective booth!

I was running around so much that I don't think I even got to say hi to Julia Bond Ellingboe. What's up with that, world?

Next year, I hope to get more time to chat with Vincent Baker.

John/jenskot (gah, blanking on last name! Curse my tiny metal body!), next year will shall rule with an iron fist of complex, uninterrupted greetings! And maybe some freakin' play.

--

So, what's your Missed Connection at GenCon? (There's more for me, but I will not go on any further.)

Comments

• Dammit, I didn't even get to talk to John Harper. Which makes me sad, because his art kicks my butt.

Also, didn't get to talk to Kevin Allen Jr., who I'm curious to talk to after this year's Game Chef.
  • I never get enough time with Jason Morningstar or Ron Edwards. I may have to schedule vacation time to fly out and see them.

Keith Senkowski, Jonathan Walton, Remi, Clinton, Ben... I looked and looked... ??? :-(

Joshua A.C. Newman, your mom....??????????

Chadu, you seem like a super cool person. I don't think we've ever spoken. I want to change that!

Rob Donoghue, why won't you hug me???
  • Ben, Remi, and Clinton were all not in attendance. Hence your lack of ability to find them. ^_- Also why Paul Tevis wound up hosting the quickest and most zen indie RPG awards ever. (Go, Paul!)
  • I wanted more hang time and more game time. Next year I may even not run anything...

Okay that won't happen but I'll at least never forget to be on the morningstar video!

-Don
  • Just about everybody. I feel like I got to talk with like, five people, and there were fifty more I missed. =P
  • I would echo Josh's sentiment. I would love to have more time to spend with everyone. I think I am going to fly in on Tuesday night next year.
  • Most of my discussions with people were short and fleeting. Cons are lousy places to get to know people better, I think. Especially big ones. There are just too many amazing people in one place and not enough time to do everything.

I need to set my priorities on spending time with a handful of people next time and getting to know them better and not feel like I have to spend a little bit of time with every single person there. And that sucks, because I want to reconnect with everyone, even if it's just fleeting.
  • Rafael Chandler! I hear you were at the con, at the Forge booth, not more than ten feet from me. And I didn't get a chance to shake your hand. I yelled at some folks, post-con, when I found out they knew you were there and they didn't introduce me.
  • Ryan! Let's play a game of It's Complicated on IRC sometime soon. I was so bummed that I couldn't find my demo materials.

Darcy Burgess, we need to talk war games more!

I'm seeing a lot of people on SG talking about having met me/demoed/bought IC. Why did none of you tell me your SG handles?! I'm sitting here going "OMG YAY! I met ____! ..Wait, which one were they?!"

Gregor, why did we not eat a meal together? That's terrible.

Adam (and this goes for everyone I had stilted conversations with), I think you are way awesome, but I get weird and nervous around strangers and so that leads to "Sooooo.. Annalise is pretty great.." as opposed to awesome conversations about current projects and life events and stuff. I'm sorry I suck! Maybe I'll be less weird next year.
  • I'm sorry I suck am too awesome to contain in one conversation! Maybe I'll be less weird compress my awesome more efficiently next year.
    Fixed your typo there, Elizabeth.
  • Posted By: Josh RobyJust about everybody. I feel like I got to talk with like, five people, and there were fifty more I missed. =P
    Quoted for truth. I'd be easier to list the people who did actually connect with. As I said on my latest show, "GenCon, like life, is full of awesomeness and regret."
  • Posted By: ptevisI'd be easier to list the people who did actually connect with.
    Also quoted for truth.

Along with that, I think someone failed to send me the press release regarding the unchained awesome that is Anna Kreider. SHAME!
  • *blink* Dude. Unchained awesome? Wow. Okay.
  • No one can put a chain on STAB! STAB! STAB!!!
  • I'm sad I didn't get a proper sit-down with, oh, anybody. How did that happen? And there were a ton of people I just ended up waving to, like Daniel Perez. Maybe next year I'll bring a couch and just sit on it all day.
  • I socialized like crazy at Gencon which helped make it my favorite Gencon ever. When I think about working a booth, I am filled with fear at losing those opportunities. I want both. Bang! ::rolls:: Shit!
  • We had a meal together, Jason! Doesn't that count?

Then again, we were on our way to those awards. So maybe not.
  • I missed way too many people, and I saw enough of virtually none of the people I saw. But that's the nature of Gencon, much to my chagrin.

-Rob D.
  • The secret to long meaningful conversations is to stay up till 04:30 every morning boring the insomniacs to sleep. I had some really interesting conversations every night with folks I didn't know well, but got to know better due to my crazy con sleeplessness.
  • I was just looking at handles, and images, and Jason's video, and going "oh dude! That person is so-and-so! I saw them but didn't even say hi cause I didn't connect the name and/or face at the time." A half dozen people I would be interested in meeting and talking to, at least, for every one I did. Oh well. There will be more cons!

• Mostly I wish I could've gotten more people to try out the heart-warming-ness of Yuuyake Koyake, though playing it with Tobias and my two local friends (Mike and Elton) was great.

I had been hoping to meet Ben Lehman in person after talking to him a bunch online for our work on Maid RPG, but he wasn't at GenCon this year. Other than that, there wasn't anyone specific, though I would've liked to meet more people in general.
  • edited August 2008
    I've not even fully digested the canned amazing of the people I did get to sit down with for any length of time, let alone all my missed connections.

I think I mostly passed a few words with everyone I absolutely wanted to before I arrived, but I definitely missed connections.

People I spoke with briefly, but didn't get to spend any real time with:

~Elizabeth Shoemaker: She suggested we find time to play a game together, I agreed we should, but then barely saw her the rest of the Con.

~Ron Edwards: we played in a demo with Chad U. which was cool, but other than a couple passing greetings and a much-belated autograph, I again barely saw him.

~Matt Snyder: He was my bloody roommate for Cripes sakes! I don't think I sat down to play anything with him, not even a demo, all weekend, and we never spoke for more than a few minutes at a time.

~Clyde Rhoer: When I first spoke with him very briefly at the booth, I got a "this is a unique and interesting individual" vibe from him (and not just from his tattoos). I looked for opportunities to have another chat, but he seemed busy very frequently, and when he wasn't, I was.

~Darcy Burgess: I saw him, he demoed his game, and that was it. That shouldn't have been it.

~Amy Garcia: She was a very nice person, and on a couple occasions made an additional effort to greet me. On that alone I'd made up my mind to check out EoD (it seemed a bit heavy to try to take home and drum up a game in the short time I've left in the country) but always ended up being too busy.

...So many other people. Those were the ones that stand out for me, though.

On the flip side, for everyone I met that I wished I'd have talked to more, there were people I'd never heard of, or who had barely registered on my radar whom I met and were very much full of cool and nice... But I guess that's more for another thread.
  • edited August 2008
    If I start listing, I won't stop.

I will list the connections I *DID* make, because for me that was just as important as the ones that I didn't.

* I made a new friend, Josh, who lives in Miami with his two beautiful girls, is in school to be a respiratory technician, has great stories (esp about Jamaican friend and him playing L5R CCG with his indomitable Crab deck in public places), and is just an all-around fun guy who likes adventure games.

* I got to hang out and talk a lot with Chris Perrin, as we were stranded in the airport for hours together.

* I enjoyed brunch with Chad, Fred, Rob and Matthew. Delicious muffins.

* I got to hang out with Ewen longer this year, which was awesome. He's son nice it's infectious.

* I got to hang out a lot with Jerry, the lovely Renee, Mike, and their clan (Brian, Erin, David from the UK, Antonio(? Antony?) and others). Riffing with them was like inhaling pure light**. I honestly wish that somehow there was a portal which connected Raleigh to Las Vegas so I could visit them more often.

* I made a connection with Jimmy John's subs. We're in love.

* I met a guy that I used to dislike long ago on RPGNet (cjh): Over the past few months things have been mellow (although he admits being less curmudgeonly, but still). And, of course, face to face? All dislikes melted away, and we became fast industry friends. I love it when the internet's power over faceless human communication is shattered. He turned out to be a really nice, friendly guy.

-Andy

** Ex: For a limited edition cover of Tenra Bansho, I'm going to have a full color cover, which portrays Jerry or Mike holding up a copy of a book that portrays himself on the cover holding up a copy of Tenra Bansho. Just thinking about the (in)finite regression is hilarious.
  • Yeah, I feel like the only person I saw was John Harper! WTF?
  • I had a great time in a game with Amy Garcia, but when I was doing the rounds to say my goodbye's and get a pic of everyone, she pulled a ninja on me and so there remains no verifiable photographic evidence of her existence.

Sorry I missed you Amy!

-B
  • Posted By: lukzuYeah, I feel like the only person I saw was John Harper! WTF?
    He was stalking you with a copy of 3:16...

I missed lots of folk. That is somewhat the curse of being on booth for a lot of the time.
  • Anna, we totally barely got to say hi! Poops.

• I know. But at least we did get to do a bit more than just wave at each other in passing, which was neat.

Sarcastic ven diagrams ftw!
  • Obviously I missed the folks that weren't there: Brennan, Krista, Ben, etc.

I wished I could have chatted Nocturnals with Bailywolf. D'oh.

I never got to buy Fred Hicks a drink. He was super busy but I miss just hanging out with Fred, Rob and Len. Those guys consistently rock.

Same with Paul, Danielle and Matt Snyder. I wish I could have spent more time with them.

I never did get to go to dinner with Malcolm. Yeah, yeah, he's normally around the corner but he soon heads to New Zealand when he gets his visa and I then won't see him until January.

I'm very glad for everyone I did see though. Even if some of the meetings were shorter than I'd wished. Always next year.
  • This is the most impossible list, ever.

Anna: We spoke very briefly at one point at the booth but it was in a sea of people and movement. I want to talk art with you!

Jason Morningstar: Bring that couch, brother. I needs me some JM time.

Ryan Macklin: You will get your chance at the next GPNW thingie. With booze.

Andy K: Holy crap, dude. Total fail. One hug and a "hey man" does not cut it.

Phil Lewis: made the most awesome bronze trophies for the Agon tournament and I didn't even get to shake his hand. I am ashamed.

Shreyas: We did not get to game together. Can you hear the angels weeping? I can. Same goes for you, Kevin and Nate.

Elizabeth: It was so nice to chat with you at the booth, but I never got to talk to you about your game!

Emily: Wow, I can't believe how little I saw you. I hope that NW trip happens so we can connect again.

Evil Hat: You guys rock. Someday, we will share a meal and talk for realz.

Willow: We barely talked and I didn't get a copy of AA. Crap.

Judd: I will see you at Dreamation. Possibly from your guard.

I think I could keep going. But now I am sad, so I'll stop there for now.
  • I didn't get to have dinner with Gregor, Paul and Shannon due to varying booth dinner commitments and divergent schedules. A great shame.

Never got to play in a game with John Harper.

The Dictionary of Mu game with Judd that I have longed for sadly failed to materialise due to Sunday evening malaise on the part of us Play Collectivists.

Didn't get to play in a game (other than demo testing) with Elizabeth (although we did play Bang! in Western Mass).

Didn't get to buy the Evil Hat boys a pint for their enthusiasm and all the hard work that Fred does with IPR.

Likewise, with Brennan absent I couldn't thank him in person for his sterling efforts.

Would love to have played Dust Devils with Snyder. A fifteen minute demo four or five years ago that kick started my taste for such games simply does not cut it!

No cocktails with Kory and the guys from the excellent Fidlar Doubleday. Another great shame there. Apparently they pitched up at the Embassy Suites, but I was off having dinner!

Nothing more than a "Hi! I'm Malcolm!" with Anna. Especially sad, as Thou Art But A Warrior came out of a design contest I was part of (in a very shabby and ill-considered way).

A grand total of about five minutes chatting with TS. Dammit.

Cheers
    Malcolm
  • Dude, Harper, yer coming to Dreamation?

Epic win.

Man, I was so happy with the social time I did have, I don't want to think about the infinite social time I didn't have. I know I neglected all the people that live within a 5-hour driving radius, cuz I get to see you anyway over the course of the year. Sorry! I wanted to meet-for-real (huge Beast Hunter game from last year doesn't really count) and hang out with Andy, but our orbits never matched. I was about to chat with Zachary of RPGSite-shirt-wearing fame, but then we got interrupted and it never happened. I didn't meet any of the new people at the Forge booth, and I only talked to Tony Dowler to get money, which sucks. I didn't even see Ryan Macklin, though you were apparently there. And so on and so forth!
  • Dreamation is one of the many cures for GenCon Missed Connection blues.

Between John, Paul & myself, sounds like we're so going to rock the West Coast presence at Dreamation. Anyone else from the dub-cee planning on attending?
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinDreamation is one of the many cures for GenCon Missed Connection blues.

Between John, Paul & myself, sounds like we're so going to rock the West Coast presence at Dreamation. Anyone else from the dub-cee planning on attending?
    If you guys want to come a few days before Dreamation or stay for a few extra days and hang out in NYC, I'm sure a bunch of us could host and organize something.
  • Posted By: jenskotIf you guys want to come a few days before Dreamation or stay for a few extra days and hang out in NYC, I'm sure a bunch of us could host and organize something.
    Barring silly things like "work" and "money," this has captured my interest. We must talk, though a bit closer to February than now.
  • I had hoped to get an interview with Darcy Burgess, and we spoke briefly, but everytime I went by the Ashcan Front, he was deep into the pimpage or the playage. Now I may have to get him to buy me a beer in Ottawa. Oh, the horror!
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinPosted By: jenskotIf you guys want to come a few days before Dreamation or stay for a few extra days and hang out in NYC, I'm sure a bunch of us could host and organize something.
    Barring silly things like "work" and "money," this has captured my interest. We must talk, though a bit closer to February than now.
    Fantastic! We would try to ease the money part with finding crash space. I believe 2 years ago a few people came into NYC a day early before dreamation and we hung out at BurningWheel headquarters and it was a blast! We had a 12 person Jungle Speed game. The only way we could fit everyone was with having everyone stand around the table!
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinDreamation is one of the many cures for GenCon Missed Connection blues.

I'm considering it.
  • Demos aside, I only got to play a game with people from the UK. I saw lots of people for not very long and I hardly said goodbye to anyone.

So hi to whoever I missed and bye to whoever I saw.

Next year, we have to stay Sunday night.
  • Was Daniel Solis at Gen Con? Because if he was, I missed him.

Paul
  • Posted By: Paul CzegeWas Daniel Solis at Gen Con? Because if he was, I missed him.
    Negative. But he was missed by a great number of us.
  • edited August 2008
    Posted By: Epidiah RavacholRafael Chandler! I hear you were at the con, at the Forge booth, not more than ten feet from me. And I didn't get a chance to shake your hand. I yelled at some folks, post-con, when I found out they knew you were there and they didn't introduce me.
    Wait, where were you? I didn't know this at the time, but I hear tell that you were one of the dudes at the Design Matters booth. What do you look like? Maybe you're the dude that I said "Hey" to on Thursday. Or was it Friday?
  • You know, I'd never bought into the wrestling-as-homoerotic-fantasy theory until now...
  • Just one of the many uses!
  • Sadly, neither one of them dudes was the dude that I say hey to. Next year!
  • It would have been nice to talk to Vincent Baker more.

Graham
  • It would have been nice to torture Vincent Baker more.