Anyone else have trouble sleeping after reading Grey Ranks?

edited August 2008 in Story Games
I bought Grey Ranks earlier this week and passed it around to a few of my friends to see if there was an interest in playing it. One of my players confessed after reading the first 30 or 40 pages that he had restless, fitful dreams that night, mostly involving strong feelings of dread and foreboding. Interesting, I thought, but that could be anything.

Well, last night after our 4E game i finally got a chance to sit down with it myself. The game just oozes doom and gloom, and sure enough, last night I didn't sleep very well. It's not like I had nightmares or anything, but a general feeling of foreboding as if there's something on your mind you can't get rid of.

Anyone else have experiences like this? If so, was it Grey Ranks, or have other games caused this kind of effect?

Comments

• I get disturbed reading Call of Cthulhu scenarios. "The Wall" in the Kenya sourcebook caused me to lose sleep.

ME
  • Nope. My dreams tend to reflect life/work concerns. As to foreboding, I've never encountered anything in any book that approaches the things I encountered in a few legal courses.
  • To be honest, concern about this is one of the reasons I've not yet picked up Grey Ranks. In the years since Dad died, I've been more prone to nightmares, and this one is oddly close to home - Dad took some of the aerial pictures of Auschwitz that let Allied command know what was going on there, and there are associations I don't want to unleash. It sounds like Grey Ranks is one of those great works I'm better off admiring from a distance.
  • guys, seriously?

losing sleep after playing a horrible sessions I could imagine, maybe, but just from reading the book?

I don't mean to be disrepectful or anything, but I'm sure surprised

(and yeah, I've read the book)
  • Posted By: hoogguys, seriously?

losing sleep after playing a horrible sessions I could imagine, maybe, but just from reading the book?

I don't mean to be disrepectful or anything, but I'm sure surprised

(and yeah, I've read the book)
    Some people are more affected by things than other people. I have cried seeing commercials with children in them because that is a soft point with me. Also why I will never get near "Little Fears" or any other kids-in-danger kind of games.

I have to be very careful the kinds of things I watch and read because between my job and my personality, I get overloaded and disturbed. I think its a perfectly valid question and discussion point.

ME
  • edited August 2008
    Posted By: BrucewriterIn the years since Dad died, I've been more prone to nightmares, and this one is oddly close to home - Dad took some of the aerial pictures of Auschwitz that let Allied command know what was going on there
    It's worthwhile to point out that Grey Ranks is about the Warsaw Uprising in '44, not the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in '43. I don't say this to undermine your point- I've had my fair share of nightmares since my dad died as well. I just like to make the distinction clear for folks who think the game is about the Holocaust, which it's not.
  • Steve: Thank you, seriously. I'd known that already, but not everyone will - glad to be your straight man. :)

Still, same general issue. There's a sadness for me in looking at Dad's damage assessment photos of eastern Europe, and reading about the ground experience can spin that mood a lot further down.
  • I had trouble sleeping after meeting the game's author. To be fair, it was a crappy rollaway bed.
  • Posted By: Matt WilsonTo be fair, it was a crappy rollaway bed.
    And really too small for both of us.