[Name of Game Designer], I won't play your games!

edited August 2008 in Story Games
[Name of Game Designer], I've read some of your games, and some of them [are up for awards | have won awards | are praised for their design implementations | are taught in classrooms | fill up the forums with AP reports | get high marks in reviews], but due to the content of the games non-mechanical aspects, I don't want to play them.

This really bums me out because I think you're designs are [brilliant | creatively unparalleled | diabolical | intriguing | meant to be worshipped]. It would be really cool if you designed a game that I would feel comfortable playing.

Now, had I read charitably the first time I read the Jason Morningstar thread, that's what I would have read. Unfortunately, I hooked into one my personal buttons, and read instead that normal games are only games that would be of interest to people who self-identify as gamers and I wrote an ugly reply.

But, after reading charitably, I can't help but think that what Kamil wrote is totally cool. I mean, isn't that a valid and healthy for the community desire for someone to have? To feel that a designer makes cool games and to wish that the designer would make a game that they would find accessible?

Comments

• Wow, meta thread is meeeeeeeta :)

...ok, I'll shut up.
  • edited August 2008
    Admirable honest self-criticism is admirable.
  • But if the only problem is with the games non-mechanical aspects, why not do a setting hack? As long as you keep whatever core themes that might be tied into the mechanics the same, most games can have their settings messed with pretty easily.
  • I don't like your children. They are smelly and ignorant and make loud noises. Please make a child that ordinary people can like.
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanPlease make a child that ordinary people can like.
    No such thing.
  • Posted By: fnord3125why not do a setting hack?
    Does it matter why someone won't do a setting hack? What I'm saying is, I had the option of reading Kamil's words any number of ways, and instead of choosing the one that was complimentary to Jason, I chose the one that was problematic to me.
  • C,

You mean you don't come on the internet to get needlessly pissed off at people who don't think exactly like you?

I used to have the same problem you have, until I realized that system matters and the system of the net works best when I think the sims on the other end of the clicky box are stupid and use my time to mock and hate them.

Much easier.

(Seriously though, I hear you.)
  • Posted By: chearnsDoes it matter why someone won't do a setting hack? What I'm saying is, I had the option of reading Kamil's words any number of ways, and instead of choosing the one that was complimentary to Jason, I chose the one that was problematic to me.
    Two points, Christopher:
    1) I was responding to your post in this thread. Here, in this thread, I was not talking about Kamil and the ideas raised in the other thread. :) Hence, I'm talking about the idea you brought up in general not any particular, specific issue.
    2) I read the other thread. I didn't find Kamil's words particularly problematic for me, personally, but I also didn't see anything that could be read as complimentary to Jason. *shrug* I mean, reading charitably is important, but . . . in what post did see Kamil saying that Jason's designs were great and it was just the non-mechanical content that was problematic?
  • Posted By: fnord3125in what post did see Kamil saying that Jason's designs were great and it was just the non-mechanical content that was problematic?
    His first post. When I read his first post charitably, that's what it says to me.
  • Posted By: fnord3125But if the only problem is with the games non-mechanical aspects, why not do a setting hack? As long as you keep whatever core themes that might be tied into the mechanics the same, most games can have their settings messed with pretty easily.
    Then again, the problem is that with the whole "system matters" thing, maybe what bugs me is actually the core theme... So the mechanical aspects would not work, even with a hack... Because the non-mechanical aspects and the mechanical ones are too tightly fused together.

For example. Gray Ranks is cool. I like how it works. But I won't want to play a game about emo adolescents, love and suffering, war and stuff. Just don't. So yes, I could hack it to be placed in the Mexican Conquest time instead of late WWII Poland. But it still would not work for me. And if I take some of the theme stuff out of it, it no longer is Gray Ranks, and no longer will work the way it is supposed to.

So yes, GR is cool. Yet I won't play it. At least not at this moment in my life.