I want a toolkit!

edited August 2008 in Story Games
The recent thread on games vs. toolkits got me thinking...

The toolkit comes in a box, and inside the box are a number of artifacts:

* A pound of dice, in all different shapes and sizes.
* An ordinary deck of playing cards.
* A bag of small glass beads, in four different colors.
* Several one-minute sand timers.
* Several pieces of paper with the words "CHARACTER SHEET" printed at the top but otherwise blank.
* A stack of index cards, each with a different Rule printed upon it. Examples of rules include: "Roll the appropriate number of dice and compare them to your opponent's roll. Higher is better.", "Spend two tokens to flip another player's timer", "Hearts = Relationships, Diamonds = Treasure, Spades = Violence, Clubs = Adversity". Some of the rules seem to contradict one another, and many of them refer to game terms that are never defined ("Each additional Trait is worth one Bonus Die").
* A bunch of other stuff I haven't thought of yet.

Printed on the inside of the box lid:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) BUILD GAME
2) PLAY

Comments

• Ha! Game Design Fluxx!
  • Ron - next time you're near Toronto let's play Universalis.
  • Ron, I'd pay $60 for such a thing if it included components I wouldn't think to have assembled already. But if it's chock-a-block full of rpg design standards, then.... then I already have this toolkit laying around on my shelves.
  • Hey, if Eero puts Solar System in a box with those Fudge dice and slaps a Toolbox label on it, I'd buy it.
  • Other stuff I find myself using:

- graph paper. Both square and hex. In various scales.

- crayons

- bag of cheese-like snacks
  • edited August 2008
    I think Levi Kornelson was talking about something not entirely unlike this at one point.

EDIT: No, I tell a lie, it was Clinton Nixon.
  • How about some plastic semi-abstract male and female figures?
  • Why do no RPGs use Icehouse pieces for resolution ... they should be in the box too
  • Posted By: HituroWhy do no RPGs use Icehouse pieces for resolution ...

Because eew, that's why.
  • edited August 2008
    PiecePack does something similar for board games. It is also in the public domain.
  • Posted By: HituroWhy do no RPGs use Icehouse pieces for resolution ... they should be in the box too
    That's come up before, and there is one now.