PDF readers make my nipples swell

edited January 2006 in Stuff to Watch
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=5227218

There's two on the horizion, iLiad and one from Sony. They're looking to come out in the $400 price range, but I bet within 2 years they'll drop to half if they become even remotely popular.

I'd love to be able to read my gaming ebooks, friends' playtest drafts etc in bed, and this looks like it'll only be a few years away.

-Andy

Comments

• The possible long-term effects this kind of science might have on gaming are mind-numbing to me.

Note - "Possible" and "Might". I'm not proclaiming a revolution. But damn, I can see a lot of cool possibles.
  • I've had a pdf reader for years.

I call it my iBook laptop.

• What's more, both are promising to be vastly more open than their precursor, the Sony Librie, which was a complete and total clusterfuck in terms of digital rights management. So not just PDF - a stack of other formats as well.

Both of these look fantastic though, and they're exactly what I've been waiting for for years. As a mark of my nerdiness on the front, I have (and still use) a rocket e-book reader, which is a dedicated device of similar purpose, but which died for a lot of really stupid reasons. It was an invaluable tool for an Exalted game I ran, and the prospect of having something that is not quite so obsolete makes me do a little dance.

(Also, I love love love my powerbook to death, but the form factor (for reading) still sucks compared to my 1999-era rocketbook)

-Rob D.
  • *RAISES THIS THREAD FROM THE DEAD DUE TO IT'S EYE CATCHING TITLE!*

Per Ross Cowman, I have resurrected this thread. On topic, I love reading RPG books on my KindleFire. Anyone else?
  • Agreed. Hilarious thread title made me read it.

I have a regular Kindle from right before the Fire came out. When I try to read anything in PDF it's just too damn small to read properly. And when I try to convert things using Calibre, they come out crap unless they're super vanilla unformatted text with maybe some italics.

I have much better luck printing out PDFs into Booklet format, 20 pages at a time, and reading those. (Which is great for a single read-though but crap for reference). But sadly at my current work the printer is crap. My last 3 employers had much nicer multifunction printers so that plan worked out much better.

I played Dungeon World at Strategicon last September. The GM had the rules on an iPad. It worked okay, but not great. Looking forward to getting the print book before February. And I'm looking forward to the promised ereader version, which will hopefully let me read through it again on my Kindle.

I wish that game designers with minimal-formatting game texts would take the time to create epub/mobi/etc versions of their texts to bundle with their pdfs. That would make me happy.
  • I love you Zachary. Also @Andy: It's pretty clear that your nipples are swell regardless.
  • I also use my Kindle Fire. I was *so* fucking confused. Like, "Andy? RPGnet? Have you gone mental?"
  • If your nipples have been swollen for six years, please considering going to the doctor.
  • Wow... I don't recall starting this thread!

But I got an iPad 3 earlier this year, and have been loving it for reading stuff in Japan and the US. RPGs are hit-and-miss: First readthrough, AWESOME. As a reference? Less Awesome (PDFs, anyway).
  • DON'T SAY THAT I HAVE BEEN SO EXCITED TO GET A TABLET TO USE AS A REFERENCE TOOL. :P
  • I notice Andy posted without addressing the issue of the nipples. Suspicious.
  • Indeed, Keith. BTW, did you ever hack Keep It Sunny for Arrested Development?
  • I'd like to know what I should buy to read my game PDFs!

Does anyone use:

* Kobo
    * Sony Reader
    * iPod Touch
    * Google Nexus
    * Kindle Fire

Something else???

How well does it work for you?

Limitations, issues, complaints?

(The only one I'm not too curious about is the iPad, because it's pretty expensive, bulky, and I already know it reads PDFs well.)
  • I use a nook color. I don't read everything on it -- I do like hard copy. And some texts work and play with the nook better than others. I read a lot of Pelgrane's Bookhounds of London on my nook, which was great because I could make tiny columns of print BIG! Chaosium's books are more hit and miss for the nook, as some illos and odd bits of text don't come through right.

But, while I never did make it to Games on Demand at GenCon, I was prepared for a group needing Fiasco RIght Now! I had printouts of the important game bits (the tables, the playmat), index cards, dice -- and my nook loaded with every free playset I could find online. I also had my copy of the latest Unspeakable Oath, which has Unausprechlichen Klutzen, and came close to running it. Oddly, at the Yoggie meetup, sanity prevailed, and we decided not to get worn out before the convention had officially begun.

But, really -- any playset, any time! I love it.

And, much of what's up for a Hugo Award these days makes its way into the Hugo Package for WorldCon attendees and supporting members. Sweet, sweet deal, and even sweeter with a nicely portable ereader.
  • edited October 2012
    My Kindle Fire kind of bums me out as a PDF reader; the screen size is just a liiiitle too small for my liking, the dragbar to move through pages is wildly inaccurate (I always end up 5-10 pages away from where I wanted to go), but the actual dealbreaker is that most PDFs with lots of art and background elements (so, almost every PDF that also exists as a physical book) seem to be too big for it to keep more than, like, four or five pages in active memory, so if I need to quickly move back and forth to reference something there are long pauses while it renders. If you're primarily looking for a PDF reader, I do not recommend it. I made it through Legends of the Wulin and the two Tenra Bansho books (admittedly these were not especially optimized, especially the Tenra pre-release, which was so big it crashed my reader on multiple occasions) but it was fairly unpleasant. I have used it during Microscope as my primary reference and it worked sort of OK, but I would much rather have just had the book handy.

That said, I'm using Acrobat because it came loaded on there and it's free. If there's some other program out there that would solve my loading problem, I'm all ears.
  • Im up for one of these soon, and I plan to go for e-ink : going a month without recharging and no direct sun visibility problems is a winner for me.

an touchscreen, because - duh, its a touchscreen
  • To contrast Joe's experience, I use a K Fire, and love it. Would a bigger screen be nice? Sure, but I love the portability of the Fire. It fits my gaming needs perfectly--things are totally readable on it by finger zooming, and that's so fast and responsive that I don't even think about it. I don't have the problem of it pausing to render pages, though I don't have any monster PDFs like Tenra on there.

Granted, it's my first tablet experience, but I love it. Gaming PDFs are actually...useful to me now!
  • edited October 2012
    I just dipped my toe into this world. the iBooks app on my phone automagically saves and stores any pdf i open in the web browser. so far the one time i used it was for lord of the rings LCG. i have yet to do any long form reading on the device. i suspect e-books are preferable.

what i was shocked by is how much i love dictating rules drafts into the pages app. it's not perfect but for my damaged brain it's more accurate than anything i can do with a keyboard.
  • Goodreader on my iPhone allows me to read without all the crappy formatting that people shove into their PDFs so that even if it's not made for my screen size (and what is, right?) it works pretty well. But I don't have much to compare against other than paper.
  • Pitching in: I have an Asus Transformer TF101 (the 1st generation, the newer are much more powerful) and it's a 10 inch, 1280x800 resolution.

It renders PDFs very well using ezPDF (the best app so far for this, IME, well worth the cheap price). It's not fast enough to render very heavy PDFs on the fly if you change page several times very quickly, but generally speaking it's a pleasure. Still, it's not so light, and it's an LCD backlighted screen so I'd still prefer a proper eink solution over it, if one existed.

The best iPub readers are Aldiko and the Nook one, btw, and believe me, I tried and tested them all. Just remember to enable the "publisher's settings", aka proper fonts and formatting.
  • Renato, what about PDFs on all those readers?