[Amagi] Looking for some (fairly specific) feedback

This is under Directed Promotion because, well, I'd like you to look at something.

A couple of weeks ago, I opened up a blog, rambled on it about open gaming and other weirdness for a while at fairly high decibles, and then decided that I had best put my own ass on the line. So the blog turned into Amagi Games.

And, at present, I'm tinkering with the site, trying to make it both pretty and high-utility. So, I have some questions for whomever wants to play ball. I'll note straight off that Search and a Tag Cloud are on my to-do list; my first attempt at installing search failed, like, badly.

1) Article font: Too small? Okay?

2) The buttons on the right: Distracting? Okay? Could you tell they were button right off? If the left-hand post lists got long enough to need archives, would just converting the lists there into buttons that snapped you to a full list of "articles in this category" (with sysnopses) be intuitive, or just annoying? (This would mean that you'd just have a panel of button on each side, and the current article, greet your eyes on arrival)

3) The ads: Too much? About right?

4) The "advice" and "gambit" categories: Are these intuitive? Any better ideas?

5) Just in case I'm missing something: Any other commentary?

EDIT: Fixed link.

Comments

• 1) I would increase the size a little bit, but it does seem ok as it is.

2) They do not look like buttons in a traditional way, but it is kind of intuitive to know they link to somewhere else.

3) The general design is very clean and simple, so the ads look ok.

4) "Advise" is. "Gambit" could be somewhat confusing. I love the name, but to make it more intuitive I'd use something more classical as "Optional Rules", "Modular Add Ons" or something like that.

5) The icons for the right buttons couls use some integration in style (other than color). I mean, we have a very neutral table, a very nice runic thing and several very modern looking icons... Perhaps using some base shapes that could be used as modular graphic elements... (Ah, the irony. ^_^)
  • 1) Article font: Too small? Okay?

Bit too small.

2) The buttons on the right: Distracting? Okay? Could you tell they were button right off? If the left-hand post lists got long enough to need archives, would just converting the lists there into buttons that snapped you to a full list of "articles in this category" (with sysnopses) be intuitive, or just annoying? (This would mean that you'd just have a panel of button on each side, and the current article, greet your eyes on arrival)

Not distracting. They're fine. They're obviously buttons.

It wouldn't be as clean with buttons on both sides, I feel.

They're fine. They're rather buried down the bottom, though. I feel sorry for the advertisers.

Advice is clear. Gambit not much.

Wine is nice. I like Rioja.

Graham
  • edited June 2008
    Posted By: Tristan5) The icons for the right buttons couls use some integration in style (other than color). I mean, we have a very neutral table, a very nice runic thing and several very modern looking icons... Perhaps using some base shapes that could be used as modular graphic elements... (Ah, the irony. ^_^)
    I'm tempted to go straight to the really modern look for all of it, now.
    Posted By: Graham WIt wouldn't be as clean with buttons on both sides, I feel.
    Huh. Didn't even think of that.
    Posted By: Graham WI feel sorry for the advertisers.
    Seriously?

Right now, they're paying about 20 cents per 1000 pageviews, for skyscraper ads, on a page that has only two ads total. Cost-wise, that's supercheap. (As a comparison point, to put a standard banner on RPGnet, at the page top, with no moving media, is $1 per 1000 views; the ones you normally see there are oversized and animated banners, which cost... more, there).
    Posted By: Graham WWine is nice. I like Rioja.
    I'm preferable to Barolo myself.

Thank you, gentlemen. Need to retitle Gambits and play with that font sizer.
  • Posted By: Levi KornelsenRight now, they're paying about 20 cents per 1000 pageviews, for skyscraper ads, on a page that has only two ads total. Cost-wise, that's supercheap. (As a comparison point, to put a standard banner on RPGnet, at the page top, with no moving media, is $1 per 1000 views; the ones you normally see there are oversized and animated banners, which cost... more, there).
    I see what you mean, but you can't see the ads unless you scroll down. That's what I meant, I guess. On RPG.NET, it's right there.

Graham
  • I visit Amagi Games daily and love it.

1) Article font:

1-2 pixels larger

2) The buttons on the right:

make them a different color to stand out and add some sort of roll-over effect, could also be smaller, maybe ditch the graphic text for HTML text but keep icons?

3) The ads:

great

4) The "advice" and "gambit" categories:

gambit isn't immediately obvious

5) Just in case I'm missing something:

hug me :-(
  • Posted By: jenskothug me :-(
    *Le hug*
  • Levi, why a completely new "subscribe" icon rather than the universally recognized one?

But, damn, that "strain" article just turned a key in my head.
  • Posted By: MikeRMLevi, why a completely new "subscribe" icon rather than theuniversally recognized one?
    'Cuz I wanted an atom. ATTTTTOOOOOM!

Er...

No good reason. I should probably change that. But I probably won't. Atom!
    Posted By: MikeRMBut, damn, that "strain" article just turned a key in my head.
    Right. On.
  • edited June 2008
    Posted By: Levi Kornelsen
    1) Article font: Too small? Okay?
    A bit too small. It looked alright after I hit CTRL + and upped it one size in Firefox.
    They look great. My first instinct was to roll the cursor over them to see if they linked anywhere.
    Dunno. Can't see 'em. Ad Blocker Plus + Firefox = Advertising bliss. (I know ad-supported sites don't like to hear that, but I you aren't losing revenue from me, I never click on ads anyway)
    Try Designs? Plots? Gimmicks? Ploys? Tricks?
    The site is nice and clean. You're using two different shades of blue, you might consider sticking with just one. The darker one looks best to my eyes.