[Dogs] Cards instead of dice?

edited June 2008 in Story Games
Grab four decks of cards, each with a diferent back.

In deck #1, remove everything except A, 2, 3, 4. That's the d4 stack.
In deck #2, remove everything except A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. That's the d6 stack.
In deck #3, remove everything except A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. That's the d8 stack.
In deck #4... Keep A-10. Right.

When you would roll, draw cards from the appropriate stack instead. Everything 'played' is discarded; when necessary and at the end of each conflict, reshuffle.

...What I'm wondering is: Would this work? What would it change?

Comments

• Interesting idea, Levi. Let me throw some things at you.

Dogs tends to use a lot of dice, so it would be tough probability-wise for the smaller dice.

For example, if there are already an A and 2 out from the d4 deck, I'm going to be a lot more likely to want to bring in a troublesome trait since it will be a 3 or a 4.

Plus, if I remember correctly, there's a rule about fallout relating to which dice you actually use in a conflict. And it wouldn't be as easy to see which dice type was used at a glance as when the dice are actually sitting in front of you.
  • Talking fallout just went from almost guaranteed experience to absolutely guaranteed experience.
  • Like Chris says, a new dynamic of player control over choices by seeing the changing odds comes to mind. This would push many players into some kind of new play strategy I'd imagine, since every result is guaranteed now. I actually played with designing a Settlers of Catan variant that used a deck of results instead of 2d6, asserting that all the areas would actually hit in their proper proportions. Never tested it though.
  • Posted By: JasonPLike Chris says, a new dynamic of player control over choices by seeing the changing odds comes to mind.
    Yeah...

If that sucked, more decks could reduce it. Not sure if it would suck.

Hidden hands might also bring in bluffing. Which would be interesting.
  • Even if it works out well in play, that's a hell of a lot of tedious set up (unless you get some decks that work just as your Dogs decks).

What about something like: d4 draw one card, d6 draw two cards, d8 draw three cards, d10 draw four cards. So with a 2d8+1d4 stat, you'd draw 7 cards.

It means that 4d4 is as good as 2d6 (or 1d10). You can do well with small dice, but you'll have a smaller hand. If you were using four different decks, then if the high cards are gone early on from say the d8 deck, then d4s and d6s start looking like better deals. You could also have the decks be combined depending on how many are drawn (so the d10 deck is four decks combined) or do something like d8 means you draw one card from d4, one from d6, and one from d8.