Go Play T-Shirt: NOW ON SALE

UPDATE:

The Spreadshirt store is now open for business. Go here to purchase a shirt with the Go Play Monkey King graphic:

Go Play Monkey King Shirt Store

The store is set up with a few pre-made designs, but if you don't see the exact thing you want, you can fire up the Spreadshirt product editor and make your own!

Go Play Northwest gets $7 for every product you buy, which we will use to pay for the 2008 GPNW event and future game gatherings.

Note to GPNW 2008 attendees:
You'll be getting high-quality American Apparel shirts with a slightly different and special design. Black ink, in olive or cranberry (your choice). If you'd rather order a different color combo from the website, let me know and I'll refund your pre-order shirt payment when you arrive.

-----

So, we're doing a new shirt for Go Play NW this year. The idea is for the shirt to also be a generic/cool story games & Go Play shirt for a wider audience, too. Here's the design ("Monkey King Sasquatch"):

Questions:
- What do you think about the banner slogan? "Say Yes Or Roll The Dice" is pretty good, but maybe there's something better. Suggestions welcome.

- Olive or Cranberry?

(People who have pre-ordered shirts can potentially pick any color shirt they want, but for the extras I print up, I need to pick a color, probably. I'm leaning towards cranberry, despite its lack of Go Play Green.)

These shirts will be available for purchase outside of Go Play NW, in the next week or so. Proceeds go to helping to pay for current and future GPNW events.

Comments

• I love it. "Say yes or roll the dice" totally comes off as a threat from the menacing monkey thing.

• I wanna fly out there to play just to get a shirt!

Lisa P
  • I like it. Do the 0's need a height and weight reduction to match the line weight and non-serifed height of the 2 and the 8?

Paul
  • Freaking awesome as usual. You're really stuck in a rut here ;)

From your mockups the olive "pops" much better, although as a color, I like the cranberry. Yeah, that's me, decisive.

I did order one of these, didn't I? I would have been crazy not to.
  • Very nice. I'm glad I already ordered two. I like both colors, and I'll probably actually go with one of each, if given the option.
  • Its a beautiful design, and I will shamelessly lie, cheat n' kill to get one. One problem though, the text is stylized unto incomprehensibility. I'm not sure I'd have been able to puzzle out "say yes or roll the dice" if I didn't already know the phrase. Kinda looks like it says "bay klb or roll fhk dick" actually.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm glad y'all are diggin' it. FYI: The people who actually get their shirts at GPNW will get a little something special on their design, so they can flaunt it in front of those who do not make it to the event.

Paul: Yep. You're right. The font didn't include numbers, so I pieced them together from letterforms. They need more love.

E.T.: I was thinking that's a strength of the crazy typeface... it looks like a different alphabet at first glance. But maybe I went too far.

Lukas: Yeah, you can have one of each color. That shouldn't be a problem.

And it's not too late to pre-order one (or five) for GPNW, if you haven't already.
  • How do I get one?
  • Nice design work!

But I do agree with E.T.
    That last word just pops out as "dick."
  • edited May 2008

That last word just pops out as "dick."

That's a feature, not a flaw.

• Posted By: ValamirHow do I get one?
    Yeah, how do I get one?
  • The cranberry one would look better if the design was in white, I think:

But then I'm a sucker for white-on-red shirts. Looking forward to getting mine.
  • edited May 2008
    Go-play-with-ape-and-dick t-shirt? I'm not sure about the feature part. :-P

But the design is nice, that's for sure.
  • Posted By: ValamirHow do I get one?
    Currently the only way to get one is to register for Go Play. :)
    You can pay for it at registration or buy one at the con.
  • Looks great. Olive please.
  • Posted By: E.T.Smith"bay klb or roll fhk dick"
    I want a shirt that says that.
  • I'm not going to be there but I think it needs less busy or more contrast. I like the white on red for this reason but I wonder if a lighter green would do the trick as a go-play thing.
  • Posted By: tony dowlerPosted By: ValamirHow do I get one?
    Currently the only way to get one is toregister for Go Play. :)
    You can pay for it at registration or buy one at the con.
    Can I get it shipped to me here in Chicago? Seriously! :)
  • I love it. I love the text, too, the way it is.

My Ashcan Front T-shirt has a similar, slightly hard-to-read, font, and it works really well. You have to take a moment before you realise what it says.

Can I have one, please? I'm not flying over to a convention in the States to get a T-shirt, but I would love one.

Graham
  • That is super awesome, and although there is no way that I can make it up NorthWestWays, I would be all over one of those in olive. Rowr.
  • If you go with Brendan's suggestion for white on cranberry, that's what I want.
  • To those who won't make it to Go Play NW:

You'll be able to order the shirt from my online store soon. Probably in the next week or so. I'll offer it in several colors, in both white and black ink. Busy-ness and hard-to-read-ness are part of the design, so it will stay as is. :-)

I'll post a link here and on my blog when it's ready.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
  • love the subtle burning wheel reference
  • I love it.

I loves me some olive, it brings out the green in my hazel eyes.

I will pay you whatever money your cruel heart desires for this shirt, John.
  • That is so freaking cool!

I am a sucker for monkeys.
    Also a sucker for olive.

Yes, please!
  • Olive. Definitely the olive.

I will have to pick up at least one of these at the con.
  • That shirt is full of win!
  • Oh, white on cranberry! I love you!
  • Much luv for the olive.

I like the Planet of the Apes/Andre the Giant thing you got going on there:)
  • In truth, I think your design is too busy and too incomprehensible even to people who are into roleplaying games.

But I'm not going, and I'm not planning on getting a shirt, so I don't think my opinion counts anyway.
  • Posted By: KynnIn truth, I think your design is too busy and too incomprehensible even to people who are into roleplaying games.

But I'm not going, and I'm not planning on getting a shirt, so I don't think my opinion counts anyway.
    SUNSHINE!
  • John, great design! What sizes are available, or more specifically will you be offering women's t-shirts or men's small/XS?
  • I think the design is awesome!!!
  • Ping: I can do any size or style. If you pre-order for the event, just let us know the size/style you want. We're printing on American Apparel shirts, and I think we have access to almost anything they make.

If you're not coming to the event, you'll be limited to what they offer on Spreadshirt.com, but I think that still covers lots of options like women's tees, etc.
  • Wait? You're offering it in women's T styles? I want white on cranberry! (I'll get one even if you don't, but it would save me from doing alterations.)

--Nancy
  • I'm 50/50 on the con, but oooo, just looked on spreadshirt.com, and they offer hoodies and sweatshirts etc. which might be more up my alley. Anyway, I'm pleased that there are so many options. Thanks, John!
  • The graphic is great. The font is unreadable, but that might be a perk, since it's an insider clique thing anyway? When you put on shirts as dark as the example ones, doesn't show up nearly as strongly. Honestly, I would draw inspiration from Luke's BW shirts and do red on black rather than the other way around, or else find a shirt light enough to make the graphic really pop (ringer T with lighter base and dark bands?).
  • Yeah, Jonathan, it doesn't pop as much on the darker colors, which is a design aesthetic I like. :-)

But once I get it setup on Spreadshirt everyone should be able to choose the color combos they like best so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • UPDATE:

The Spreadshirt store is now open for business. Go here to purchase a shirt with the Go Play Monkey King graphic:

Go Play Monkey King Shirt Store

The store is set up with a few pre-made designs, but if you don't see the exact thing you want, you can fire up the Spreadshirt product editor and make your own!

Go Play Northwest gets $7 for every product you buy, which we will use to pay for the 2008 GPNW event and future game gatherings.
  • Note to GPNW 2008 attendees:
    You'll be getting high-quality American Apparel shirts with a slightly different and special design. Black ink, in olive or cranberry (your choice). If you'd rather order a different color combo from the website, let me know and I'll refund your pre-order shirt payment when you arrive.
  • Just to be difficult...

So, if we're coming to the GPNW, but want a different combo (white on Cranberry, in this case)... can we get that color combo but still get the special "I was there!" design?
  • Ah... I didn't think of that, Albert.

Hmmm. Maybe. I need to talk to my local supplier.
  • Curses! That webstore does not appear to offer Paypal as a payment option for international orders, even though it’s on their list.
  • edited May 2008
    John, that design is so awesome I got a shirt for my sister's birthday.

She's a non-gamer, but still flipped over it.

Very cool!
    [edit] And all my family was able to decypher "Say yes or roll the dice" without prompting.
  • Just to tack on to Albert's request, I'll be there and would prefer the white on cranberry too, though I would be perfectly satisfied with black on olive if that's not possible.
  • I bought two shirts. I received the GPNW one, and the quality is excellent. Kudos!
  • Thanks, Buzz! How about a photo of you sporting the shirt!
  • Posted By: John HarperThanks, Buzz! How about a photo of you sporting the shirt!
    Ask, and ye shall receive.

• Buzz. You rule. Now and forever.