[IaWA] New PC and NPC Sheets

edited April 2008 in Story Games
A while back, I made a PC sheet and an NPC sheet for In A Wicked Age... then I forgot all about them. Doh.

The PC record:

The NPC record (two NPCs):

Click the sheets below to download the PDFs. Each sheet is 8.5"x5.5", and the PDFs are 2-up so you can print two at a time. The circles are big enough for you to place the character's dice right on the sheet.

imageimage

Comments

• Very pretty, as usual.

I quite like the idea of putting their dice right on the sheet.
  • Oh, also now we need PS sheets that match these.

Mush! Mush!
  • Oh, right. I don't use PS sheets. We just write them on the PC sheet and note the significance and die size. The description and effects are spoken, but we're not real sticklers and don't feel the need to record it in detail.

But... I can make one. If you're good.
  • Very awesome sheets, John. Very nice indeed. :)
  • Posted By: John Harper

But... I can make one. If you're good.
    Please, please, please!

These are gorgeous!

--
    DainXB
  • I'm very good. Honest. I wouldn't be lying about that because then I wouldn't be very good. And I am, very good and promise to so remain.

Rob
  • edited April 2008
    Posted By: ValvorikI'm very good. Honest. I wouldn't be lying about that because then I wouldn't be very good. And I am, very good and promise to so remain.
    Proven with science!

I, too, am good. And have big eyes like a puppydog.
  • These are awesome John, thanks. They remind me of your painfully beautiful retro-sci-fi sheets (painful only because they looked hard to reference in play). I also really like the idea of putting the dice on the sheets.

What program do you use to create your sheets?
  • I use Illustrator mostly, but the IAWA sheets were done in InDesign. For this kind of thing, the two are pretty much interchangeable.
  • edited May 2008
    They are really useful. Especially when used with dice on the circles. Thanks. Actuall I think they should be included as default ones in the next print ;-)
  • These are awesome!
  • Very very beautiful!
  • John, I noticed the PC sheet has the word "Shamed" between "for Myself" and "with Love". I didn't see this consequence referenced in the rules. Is this a house rule of yours? Or an errata I didn't notice?

Either way, I thought it strange that those two stats couldn't be affected via consequences and I like the concept of "Shamed".

Beautiful sheets, BTW. Your design-fu is strong as ever.
  • As I recall, "Shamed" is part of the standard Anthology Engine rules, but Vincent considers it less appropriate for IAWA's setting / characters / color / etc.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonAnthology Engine rules
    Tell me more about this? Please?
  • The Anthology Engine is the underlying rules of IAWA, like the Solar System for TSOY. Joshua Newman is already hacking the Anthology Engine to make his Beowulf game. I'm not sure if the Engine is available in any form that's not IAWA right now.
  • edited June 2008
    I also recall Vincent saying somewhere that each "build" would have two of the three possible consequences.

*googles*
    this thread

Somewhere halfway, Vincent notes:
    Exhaust, injure, shame: my recommendation is, take a hard look at your genre and choose two. Nobody gets exhausted in The Shield, they get injured and shamed. No matter how bad you beat them, they can always fall back on directly and with violence, but you sure can fuck up their for myself and with love.
    and
    The defaults set tone and create a path of less resistance, they don't protect or limit. I recommend choosing two to set the tone. I think use it risk it is functional but tonally neutral.
  • The sheets are gorgeous, but I would never use Shame for playing In a Wicked Age. I think it goes a bit away from the feel of the stories that are trying to be conveyed. I would use it for this though.
  • I agree that Shamed isn't quite right for the Wicked age. But we sometimes use different oracles and I wanted the sheet to be a little flexible, so there ya go.
  • Ok, I get The Anthology Engine now. I'm totally happy that John put all three on his character sheet. If you aren't using one of them for your game, simply mark it out.

Awesome.
  • Yeah, my Water Margin hack was going to use Exhausted and Shamed, since nobody ever gets Injured (you just get dead).
  • edited June 2008
    My Last of the Mohicans game would totally used Shamed and Injured, as no one ever gets Exhausted. Exhaustion is for wimps and maybe English folks who stroll about in the country garden, not for good strong Americans! (Be they Scottish, French, or First Nation)

Though that does make me wonder about making different characters have different conditions. Like everyone choses two out of three for their own character. That way the French can never be shamed (filthy whores, the French) and the Scotts can never be exhausted (like machines the Scotts are), no one will ever injure an English lady, and so on.
  • I've actually found using "Use it, risk it" flows nicely, compared to exhaust/injure, as long as you make sure to describe your victory.
  • Brand, that is hawt.
  • Posted By: Ryan Stoughton"Use it, risk it"
    Is this something from the IaWA book, or is it a hack/optional rule? If the latter, where can I read about it?
  • Posted By: fnord3125Posted By: Ryan Stoughton"Use it, risk it"
    Is this something from the IaWA book, or is it a hack/optional rule? If the latter, where can I read about it?
    It's one of the optional rules at the end of the book.
  • I want to get that book. I wish it was available in physical form. It's been "coming soon" for months. I may just have to break down and get the .pdf.
  • Um.. it's been available in print for quite a while now. Though the PDF is sweet as well.

*checks lumpley.com*

Hm.. was available in print? I did manage to order one at some point... maybe ask Vincent?
  • Lovely, very lovely.

Can I have one for my new D&D, please?

;-)
  • Posted By: Herman DuykerHm..wasavailable in print? I did manage to order one at some point... maybe ask Vincent?
    Yeah, I'm not QUITE that insane yet. :) I've been keeping a sporadic eye on that page and I've never seen it available to order in print.
    But I like the idea of free upgrades on the .pdf. You know, assuming upgrading is being done. :) And it IS short enough that printing it off wouldn't be a big deal... so I'm torn. But I may try to acquire it before my Gen Con Pity Party, so if I don't see it available in print before then I'll just get the .pdf. But I should probably stop drifting the thread.

But on topic, at Go Play Peoria we played IaWA with those sheets, and they are damn sweet. I like them a lot.
  • Yeah, I'd love to order a real copy, but the pdf is keeping me satisfied. I'm making my own box set with character sheets, book, oracle cards, etc.

Also, I've decided not to use Shamed and Exhausted for The Batman hack I'm doing. I'm using Scared and Beat-up. And they reduce different forms. This seems to work nicely.
  • Posted By: jessecoombsThe Batman hack I'm doing. I'm using Scared and Beat-up. And they reduce different forms
    I like this. Can I ask which forms?
  • edited June 2008
    The book'll be available by the end of June, or else somebody punch me in the eye, okay?

The book will come with the PDF and free PDF upgrades too, for the asking. However, I won't be offering a PDF to print upgrade deal, they're too much hassle. So if you want the book, hold out.

-Vincent
  • Posted By: lumpleyor else somebody punch me in the eye, okay?
    Brand jumps up and down, holding his arm up and yelling from the back of the class "Oh, me! Ohohoh! Pick me!"
  • Posted By: lumpleyThe book will come with the PDF and free PDF upgrades too, for the asking. However, I won't be offering a PDF to print upgrade deal, they're too much hassle. So if you want the book, hold out.
    That is totally fucking rad, Vincent. :) I will definitely hold out. End of June, eh? It'll make a good bday present to myself. Sweet!
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsPosted By: jessecoombsThe Batman hack I'm doing. I'm using Scared and Beat-up. And they reduce different forms
    I like this. Can I ask which forms?

Sure. Scared reduces For Others and For Myself, and Beat-up reduces Directly and With Love. This seems to make sense. I want Covertly and With Violence to be the dominant forms in the late game.
  • Why do you want to privilege covertly? Other than the image of sneaking around at night...there really isn't much "covertly" to Batman...or most of the villains. Batman is pretty focused on directly beating dudes up, no?
  • Batman means many things to many people. I hope we're not about to have the Most Cliche Internet Discussion Ever.
  • Yeah. I'm on this train. Definitely.

Sweet sheets, John. Holy cow.
  • There isn't much covertly to Batman? Really? I think there's a lot of covert action especially when you've got other Superheroes being all-powerful. Bats usually is the one who is sneaking around, being in disguise, formulating the back-up plans. Of course there's all the other characters too...Mob bosses, cat burglars, cops, reporters. It also seems to make sense that when one gets Beat-up their Directly would go down, since being direct didn't help them in the first place. "I can't fight you directly Bats, but I can hurt what you love: Gotham City! HAHAHAHAHA!"
  • Posted By: John HarperBatman means many things to many people. I hope we're not about to have the Most Cliche Internet Discussion Ever.
    Trying to avoid it, sorry. And we should get back on the topic of those awesome sheets!
  • No worries, Jesse. Your Batman thing is cool.
  • Posted By: jessecoombsScared reduces For Others and For Myself, and Beat-up reduces Directly and With Love.
    When I'm thinking of a scared thug... he can act for himself, but not for others. He can act violently, but not with love. Because he's SCARED and he'll lash out.

When a character gets beat up, he's likely to succeed at something self-sacrificing but not if he's just trying to be selfish. (esp. bats himself but there's some examples of redeeming moments for villains)

Why not:

Scared reduces For Others and With Love
    Beat-up reduces Directly and For Myself
    ?