4th Edition Character Sheet Preview

edited April 2008 in Story Games
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080401b

I know it's an April Fool's joke, but I totally want to play the game that goes with this sheet.

"Leetness Defense: 10 + COOL x AWE/2.5"

Comments

• Heh, there should be a game design challenge around this sheet.
  • I was thinking about the very same thing: it could be put in the next Reverse Engineering challenge as "guest participant" :)
  • I thought, this game must be better than was 3rd edition. But then I realized that's just a joke.

Initiative with rock, paper, scissors? That's just awesome.
  • I like the Ver 4.____

leaves it wide open
  • Posted By: algiI thought, this game must be better than was 3rd edition. But then I realized that's just a joke.

Initiative with rock, paper, scissors? That's just awesome.
    But must be reduced to only two contestants, or sides. Or you need it tiered.
  • This is a beautiful, beautiful thing. I wish I could read the rules that would match it.
  • I think my favorite part is the Alignment choices.
  • Finally, D&D has mana symbols. Now I just need a little square to hold my deck.
  • That should be "Properties Pwned".
  • It could be turned into a game, but I get stuck at the derivative calculus. ;)
  • Posted By: Adam DrayIt could be turned into a game, but I get stuck at the derivative calculus. ;)
    Assume that the equation is actually a rune that stands-in for something else.
  • I get done in by the infinite loop. Add Cool + mod to the Cool skill, which quickly rockets up to infinity.
  • I'd say that the character's COOL value and their Cool skill are different, what with the caps and all.
  • Ryan, I dare you to help me make this a game.

Fucking dare you.
  • Ryan and Jarrod? If you make this a game?

I will run a playtest of it. That's a solemn vow, that is.
  • Jarrod, I can't do another project right now without my eyes bleeding. This is a 2 stat system, essentially; you're always rolling 1d20+COOL+AWE or 1d20+COOL+CML

Treat COOL = Level, but Cool Skillz = COOL + AWE.

Everything and its dog is based on COOL+AWE in this game, as you can see (Skillz, Senses, defenses)

Weapons have a Determined Probability to Strike (DPS) which is AWE + COOL.

Leetness defense should be there on the character sheet but only used in Leetness vs. Leetness challenges, where each contender rolls 1d20 and adds Leetness to show who is more Leet.

With all the skillz and such being equal, flow of play is clearly built around resource management, with these resources:

* Mana,
    * Properties,
    * Lewtz (incl. Phat),
    * Contacts,
    * Hit Points,
    * Death,
    * Race Features,
    * Minions, and
    * Feats.

Actions include Sensing, Fighting, Skillzing, and using a resource.

In any game like this though the biggest important resource is spotlight time - hence the Movement and Initiative systems are crucial.

Knowing what Alignment to be at what time is probably also important.

(I seriously wonder what this would be like as a competitive game... like, everyone bets $1 at the start of the game and the one with the most Victory points at the end of the game wins.)

There, so that's my not designing this, OK?
  • I like "Class Title", with its checkbox choice of Autobot or Decepticon.
  • Posted By: TonyLBI like "Class Title", with its checkbox choice of Autobot or Decepticon.
    No, that's alignment. Class Title is blank. I think it's actually an OD&D reference.
  • I'd play this game in a minute.