Comedic Duos and The Pot Smoking Slacker movie rpg

edited April 2006 in Story Games
Watching Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle got me thinking about comedic duos and a game about them. And about untapped markets for rpgs (like pot smoking hippies) and genres for rpgs that don't involve magic or sci fi elements. So why not an rpg about two slacker kids getting into hijinks, a la the above movie, Cheech and Chong, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and several movies I haven't seen?

I think you could have a game that only has two players (maybe one GM and two players) who are defined by their similarities and differences to each other. The characters in the game start out on opposite ends of player defined spectrums: Bob is silent, Jay won't shut up. Harold is too focused on his work, Kumar is too irresponsible. Felix is neat, tidy, and neurotic, whereas Oscar is slovenly and casual. Ernie is mischievous, Bert very serious. Don Quixote has his head in the clouds, Sancho Panza down to earth. In many instances, one is fat and the other thin. Over the course of the game, the characters move around on the spectrums (some or all of them) which has various mechanical effects.

And then there's the pot hijinks, which probably works off of the sliding spectrums. I'm not sure how, exactly, though. Perhaps being in a given place on a spectrum has advantages and disavantages. Sometimes you want to roll higher than a trait, sometimes lower. The other player can introduce off the wall complications to a situation. Possibly the drug itself is some resource, though I think I prefer it as a character goal pursued by one or both PCs or possibly left out altogether for just a Comedy Duo rpg.

Comments

• Well, it's fairly easy to get into pot-smoking hijinks in real life if you like that sort of thing.

But I like the idea, simply because it isn't caught up in the usual nerdy genres. Also, I want more comedy RPGs. Fuck all this brooding angsty drama crap.

For what it's worth, Half-Baked is my favorite stoner flick. It does not have a pair of dudes, though.
  • I think the mechanic you really need is a random-funny-stuff generator, to come up with situations you wouldn't have come up with otherwise. The system should support you going through the plot in a straight (but dopey) manner and having things intervene that you can riff off.

Maybe this just a ridiculously big random encounter table, with everything from escaped tiger to hot alien girls.

• That sounds really fun. Like everything really fun, is there a reason not to use PTA?

Just askin'. I do like the idea of a pile of random elements created by the group, with laser princesses and exploding plumbing.
  • edited April 2006
    Jay & Silent Bob: the RPG

Not exactly what you're writing about, but there it is.
  • The same reason there ever is to not use PTA.

PTA is good at stuff, I feel, primarily because it doesn't do wrong things, but it manages to do this by simply giving the players a formal communication technique and staying the hell away from everything else.

If you've got a more specific system, then that's great.

• But I like the idea, simply because it isn't caught up in the usual nerdy genres. Also, I want more comedy RPGs. Fuck all this brooding angsty drama crap.

Sort of what I was thinking. Roleplaying games have thoroughly explored the fantasy/scifi/superhero genres, but only touched a little on other genres.
  • edited April 2006
    That sounds really fun. Like everything really fun, is there a reason not to use PTA?

Heck if I know. I don't own PTA yet.
  • edited April 2006
    I think the mechanic you really need is a random-funny-stuff generator, to come up with situations you wouldn't have come up with otherwise. The system should support you going through the plot in a straight (but dopey) manner and having things intervene that you can riff off.

That's exactly how I imagine the system working. Probably determined off of the different spectrums that define how different or similar the protagonists are.