Best system for In A Wicked Age's "Age" setting?

edited March 2008 in Story Games
You know, I'm really into the idea of the "Age" that IAWA portrays - lude sorcerers, much contested weddings, seventh wives, a local noblewoman, a camp-wanton, hot chicks who trample after strawberries, and people being heralded and lauded - I'm totally jiving all of that.

But I'm not so sure about the system. I mean, it has so many different shapes for the dice. Can anyone recommend me another system that doesn't use so many regular convex polyhedrons. I was thinking maybe something with some d12s, cause I like how they roll a whole lot, but you know - not too much. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Sea Dracula! I think you will find that Sea Dracula will deliver the sort of focused, gritty action and realism that such a setting demands. And lude sorcerers. Sea Dracula is full of lude sorcerers. And the best part? No regular convex polyhedrons at all! Sea Dracula's innovative terpsichorean resolution system makes YOU the randomizer.
  • Grey, you might want to take a look at this thread, where I just posted about using RBH to play IaWA.
  • I find that the new and quite different d20 system works well for this sort of setting. We don't talk about it much here, so it must be very rare, but perhaps your local gaming store can assist you in locating it. The core game is Dungeons and Dragons, which runs on this d20 system. As the name suggests, the system only uses d20 dice.
  • Posted By: rafialSea Dracula! I think you will find that Sea Dracula will deliver the sort of focused, gritty action and realism that such a setting demands. And lude sorcerers. Sea Dracula is full of lude sorcerers. And the best part? No regular convex polyhedrons at all! Sea Dracula's innovative terpsichorean resolution system makes YOU the randomizer.
    I just reported you to the moderator! Go back to the your dirty hippy place, and let us talk about REAL role-playing games, for real men, like IAWA!
  • There's this really obscure houserule set some fans put together, called "Exalted." It uses only 60 or 70 d10s per player, that would make your dice problem go away. The trick would be finding players, though.
  • The problem with Exalted, which unlike anyone else on earth I've actually played, is that there is no sex in it.

Which is why its called "The Age of Sorrows."

So it cannot work for "A Wicked Age."
  • edited April 2008
    Posted By: Moreno R.Go back to the your dirty hippy place, and let us talk about REAL role-playing games, for real men, like IAWA!
    Oh sure, if it is not in every Barnes & Noble like IAWA, you don't want to hear about it! Well break out of your narrow minded shell and you might learn something. You do realize that when you play IAWA, you are not actually having any fun. You and your friends are just deluding yourself, because you've damaged your natural human capacity for surrealism by forcing yourself emphasize story and address premise in a way that is just not healthy. I realize that you no longer have the ability to appreciate the novel approach of such games as Sea Dracula and Extreme Street Luge, but don't go harshing on those of us who have found a better way to play!
  • Posted By: rafialyou've damaged your natural human capacity for surrealism
    Damaging one's capacity for brain damage FTW!
  • GURPS can do anything.
  • Judd,

It's true that the Portuguese version of IAWA, GURPS (Guerra Ultima Respeito Papel: Super!) is pretty great. I wish Vincent would put the Wine & Soccer oracle from that edition into the English version.
  • Posted By: John HarperWine & Soccer
    Sports and Wine. My oh my, we're all impressed how sensitive you are.
  • Posted By: rafialPosted By: Moreno R.Go back to the your dirty hippy place, and let us talk about REAL role-playing games, for real men, like IAWA!
    Oh sure, if it is not in every Barnes & Noble like IAWA, you don't want to hear about it! Well break out of your narrow minded shell and you might learn something. You do realize that when you play IAWA, you are not actually having any fun.

Fun? FUN??? Who do you think you are talking to, here???? I am a SERIOUS gamer!