[Houses of the Blooded] Examples of Risk?

edited March 2008 in Story Games
So, I'm reading the chapbook and being like "yea, yea, yes, right on, cool, good to go..." but there is one part that while I'm getting intellectually, I'm having trouble seeing in play. That part is wagers in extended conflicts when both sides have wagers to spend.

So you get privilege, you have 2 wagers, your opponent has 1 (would have had 2, but being a loser only gets to keep 1). Can someone give me some examples of what this might look like as we narrate it out at the table?

Comments

• Here are two examples:

I'm trying to hide in the room and you're trying to see me. The risk is you seeing me while I'm hiding in the room. After rolling, you have privilege with 2 wagers and I have one wager. You decide whether or not you see me and you decide who spends their first wager. In this case, you decide it is you.

YOUR PRIVILEGE: "I do not see you."

YOUR FIRST WAGER: "AND I find your monogramed handkerchief."

You spent your first wager, now it is my turn to spend mine.

MY FIRST WAGER: "Yes, AND there is blood on the handkerchief."

YOUR SECOND WAGER: "AND I smell Lady Peacock's perfume on the handkerchief."

-- Another example.

A seduction roll. You trying to lure my character into a randezvous. Same deal, you gain privilege and have 2 wagers while I have 1. You decide whether or not your character succeeded and who spends their first wager.

YOUR PRIVILEGE: "I succeed in luring your character through a door, leading away from the dining room." You decide I can spend my first wager.

MY FIRST WAGER: "Yes, but my bodyguard saw me leave."

YOUR FIRST WAGER: "But he's preoccupied with my maid."

YOUR SECOND WAGER (because I'm out of wagers): "AND we take a secret passage when the door is closed."

___

If you said "AND we take a secret passage when the door is closed that your bodyguard doesn't know about," that would be TWO wagers. The secret passage detail and the detail about my bodyguard. A wager can add ONE DETAIL, but not two.
  • John,

Cool beans.

I see it now.
  • Looking this over two questions come to mind:

1. Does it break the game if the person with privelege has the right to go at any place in the round robin multi-player resolution? ie. she starts out the declarations but when it comes to the third declaration she wants to but in before it gets back to her. If I'm not describing this well let me know.

2. Is a similar method used for social encounters and can you 'wound' people in the same way. If so is there a social 'track' for damage?
  • edited March 2008
    I'm sorry I just thought of something else :)

Will there be advice on how to phrase "and, but, unless, etc" in the 'big book' giving this a polaris sort of back and forth negotiation?
  • Since John may be unavailable for a while...are there any playtesters or demo victims participants who might share some light on this?

Thanks B-)
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerLooking this over two questions come to mind:

1. Does it break the game if the person with privelege has the right to go at any place in the round robin multi-player resolution? ie. she starts out the declarations but when it comes to the third declaration she wants to but in before it gets back to her. If I'm not describing this well let me know.

2. Is a similar method used for social encounters and can you 'wound' people in the same way. If so is there a social 'track' for damage?
    1. Privilege does not give you the right to "go when you want to." You get to state the outcome of the risk and decide who spends their first wager.

2. There is no social track for damage -- I don't like those kinds of systems, so they aren't in my game. But, you can give people Aspects through social challenges. Aspects that can only be tagged and compelled, not invoked.
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerI'm sorry I just thought of something else :)

Will there be advice on how to phrase "and, but, unless, etc" in the 'big book' giving this a polaris sort of back and forth negotiation?
    It won't be so complicated.

You can't contradict a wager someone else has made.

And any use of "and," "or," "but" or any other such words require another wager.
  • Hi John,
    Thanks for getting back to my questions.

BTW, Is there an ETA for www.housesoftheblooded.com? If so, when?
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerHi John,
    Thanks for getting back to my questions.

BTW, Is there an ETA for www.housesoftheblooded.com? If so, when?
    Soon. That's all I can say.
  • edited March 2008
    "John Wick. There is no social track for damage -- I don't like those kinds of systems, so they aren't in my game. But, you can give people Aspects through social challenges. Aspects that can only be tagged and compelled, not invoked"

Is this the system for giving nicknames and insults? I remember that being present at the Orccon 07 demo and really liking that but it did not come up durring the game I played at the last Orccon.
  • That would be the same system, yes. A little more formalized than the demo version, though.
  • Posted By: John WickThat would be the same system, yes. A little more formalized than the demo version, though.
    Rock!