Can I create the cover for Sea Dracula?

You have been invited to take part in the "Sea Dracula cover illustration and world improvement program". Yes you. The person reading this. By providing a cover illustration for Sea Dracula (which was recently named 2007 game of the year), you'll be making both the world in general and this product in particular a better place.

We have very low standards, so there is no need to do your best work on this project. Our own work has been close to sub-par. The design specs for this project are very simple. The cover art needs to fit in a space no more the 4.25 inches wide by 2.75 inches tall. Yes, I know how small that is. The art needs to be reproducible in black and white. The art needs to feature the title of the game "Sea Dracula", along with the text "by Nick & Jake". The art needs to feature some variation of the text "Just $1.00!". The art should also feature your name or signature. You can use my own mock-up illustration as reference.

Sea Dracula is a game about dancing animal lawyers from Animal City. Sea Dracula is actually the name of the famous giraffe lawyer that founded Animal Cities corrupt legal system. While you should feel free to create any kind of image you want, might we suggest some of the following themes?

Giraffes
Animals
Lawyers
Dancing
Court rooms
Legal Systems
Parties

We will be accepting multiple cover submissions with the intent of printing several different covers. While this project does not pay in any usable or legal currency, either I or Nick will give you a short and emotionless hug the next time we see you.

The deadline for this project is Tuesday, March 25th. Final art or questions can be sent to jakestupidmachine@hotmail.com

Thank you for your participation and cooperation.

Jake
Sea Dracula development committee co-chair,
King of cats, captain of compliments

Comments

• I love the mock-up! ^_^
  • Specs? (jpg, tiff? file size/resolution?)
  • Not that I'd put the kibosh on something like this, but I think the mock-up is awesome in and of itself!
  • Agreed.

I think the quiet dignity of Jake's pic is a deviously alluring bait-and-switch. :)
  • It's hard to imagine the illustration that does Sea Dracula justice (though Jake's is rad). Also, I always think of Frisky Dingo when I think of Sea Dracula. So:

• Yeah, that original drawing would be hard to beat. Are there any actual play posts around to give one a better feel for the game?
  • And another one:

Playing up the WTF? angle could be good.
  • I still like Jake's original better. I think it's just delightful. :-)
  • yay, emotionless hug!
  • Posted By: Justin D. JacobsonSpecs? (jpg, tiff? file size/resolution?)
    jpg or tiff is fine. Some kind of printable resolution and manageable file size would be preferred.

Just so everyone knows, we will be printing several different versions of the game using different covers. The more the better.

John, I dig both of those. Nice and simple. We'll definitely use at least one of them.

Posted By: BentAre there any actual play posts around to give one a better feel for the game?
    Here are some awesome Sea dracula links:

Sea Dracula, the Power 19

Sea Dracula aat Go Play NW

Sea Dracula on Master Plan

Sea Dracula on Story Games
  • john harper gets either a hug from both of us or a fancy dinner.... I'm going to assume you want the hugs though.
  • I just want someone to take the letter "C" and give it a vampire cape and fangs and stuff. Real cheesy and silly. Then you don't even need to put the name of the game on the pic. I'd do it but I don't have much of a graphic artist gene.

~Andrew
  • edited March 2008
    Anonymous vertical giraffe edition.

• Brilliant, Jonathan.

Y'know, at $1 each I may just have to collect all the covers.

Damn your fiendish plot, Richmond!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Posted By: MelinglorY'know, at $1 each I may just have to collect all the covers.
    Oh shit.

Posted By: Jonathan WaltonAnonymous vertical giraffe edition.
    Oh shit! Thanks Jonathan!

I've gone for a close up,
  • edited March 2008

Edit: Fixed typos.
  • Willow, Steve! great stuff! You're in! Congrats!
  • Not one of these has, in my view as a playtester, the necessary gravitas. Herewith, my humble entry:

• edited March 2008
    Won't get to it until tonight, But I'm thinking the classic Phoenix Wright "Objection!" pose, only with a giraffe head.
  • Awesome.

Jake, here are 600dpi TIFFs of mine (with 1/8in bleeds):

seadracula_jsh_01.zip
    seadracula_jsh_02.zip
  • edited March 2008
    Posted By: misubaNot one of these has, in my view as a playtester, the necessary gravitas. Herewith, my humble entry:

I'm not sure it's much of a cover, but it sure had me laughing out loud in front of the computer :D
  • Posted By: misubaNot one of these has, in my view as a playtester, the necessary gravitas. Herewith, my humble entry:

Oh. My. God.

Winner.
  • Except it needs to be in black and white.
  • Thanks John!

Mike, that's wonderful!
  • It would help if I could spell Sea, or do graphic design, or any of those at the same time. Nice stuff coming from others though.
  • Posted By: GB SteveIt would help if I could spell Sea
    I tghought your "See Dracula" was charmingly misleading. People will buy the game thinking it's about something else! boy, won't they be surprised!
  • Here's my own cover for the game.

• edited March 2008
    Here's my entry. I went more old-school legal fun. Speaking as a lawyer, lawyers will find this cover hilarious.

(Enlarged to permit online reading of the fine print.)
  • Justin, that's so sassy.
  • Speaking as a non-lawyer who works with lawyers, that's awesome, Justin.
  • That is awesome Justin! Thanks!
  • edited March 2008
    Feelin' a bit lo-fi after these monumental entries, but I present...

Sea Dracula: Ace Attorney!
  • Posted By: Albert ASea Dracula: Ace Attorney!
    That's what we needed! Thanks Albert!

I believe we're close to 20 covers so far!
  • I now have a hi-res B&W TIFF for whoever needs it.
  • edited March 2008
    So I took a stab at a cover. It's pretty low-tech since I'm at my parents' right now, but I suppose that's good, right?

If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!

~Anna
  • I am not Jake and I can't design things so I have no real voice in this process but I do want to say that I think that the more appropriate covers will show the animals without pants or in general suggest pantslessness.
  • Posted By: wundergeekSo I took a stab at a cover. It's pretty low-tech since I'm at my parents' right now, but I suppose that's good, right?

~Anna
    Not that I probably won't buy every cover, but I'll definitely buy this one first! :D
  • edited March 2008
    The disco ball is a little messy but...

Hi-Rez
  • Posted By: misubaI now have a hi-res B&W TIFF for whoever needs it.
    I need it! please!

Posted By: wundergeekpermalinkwhisperquoteSo I took a stab at a cover. It's pretty low-tech since I'm at my parents' right now, but I suppose that's good, right?

~Anna
    That's good. Very good! Thanks!
    Posted By: johnzoI do want to say that I think that the more appropriate covers will show the animals without pants or in general suggest pantslessness.
    True. Joe McDonald set a precedent for pantslessness during the Go Play NW game.

Posted By: Alvin FrewerThe disco ball is a little messy but...
    Still fantastic! Wow! Thanks!
  • edited March 2008
    Hm, alternate text!

• Confusing, makes it look like the title might be "Objection."
  • Barry just sent me thislink.

I'm going to retroactively claim that this is what Sea Dracula is actually based on.
  • Oh, I dunno, I thought that was hilarious.
  • edited March 2008
    Sugarbaker, that cover is so amazing i cried a little!!!

thanks everyone!
  • Posted By: nick smithwhere going to sell so many copies! it will be awesome! will make like, 60 bucks!
    I know. What a crime! I wish we could charge so much more.
  • I humbly present:

And not so humbly present:

• Posted By: joepubI humbly present:

And not so humbly present:

The 2nd one is good.

The first one is great!